Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

Is our formation too reliant on off-form attacking full-backs?

I noticed on Tuesday night that our attacking play often seemed to leave our full backs in space as Leeds doubled up on Redmond and Murphy. More often than not leaving Whittaker in space to put in a telling cross, which he failed to do on every occasion. Olsson has also been off-form recently and it appeared that other teams are aware of this and leave them in space as this often results in our attacks breaking down.It concerned me that the solution today was to switch to a diamond that is even more reliant on attacking full backs when it is clear that neither player is on form. It seems he punished our two young wingers for being marked out of the game on Tuesday night rather than looking to exploit the space that this left better today.I think we are either going to need to change this style (4-5-1 would help reduce this reliance) or try Martin and Garrido in these roles to see if they can bring us more joy. The other option, if he''s fit, would be to start using Elliott Bennett as a right back. That way you''ll have another player who can cross the ball on the right with Redmond. Which would give Redmond more space to get balls in the box.

I would agree Olsson is off form at the moment. At least 4 occasions yesterday he was in a great position to cross but the ball in was low and never got past the first defender. Hugely frustrating....

what is our formation??....thats the first question, in the last 3 games we''ve tried 3 different ones, 4-2-3-1 at Fulham, 4-4-2 vs Leeds and the diamond yesterday.

the problem we have is that our 2 wingers in the squad in Redmond and Murphy are also the 2 youngest members of the squad, we''re asking a 20 and 19 year old to supply the bullets from out wide to provide chances for our strikers....and perhaps inevitably at that age ,the supply is erratic, our strikers struggle to know exactly where the crosses are going to, to make the correct runs?