Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

BRING BACK OLD CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FORMAT

I think UEFA need to change the format for the champions league. Why don''t we only have teams that have won the premier league in the champions league?

Why should a team that has finished second, third, and fourth be allowed entry into the champions league? Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are not champions so they shouldn''t be in the champions league. These stupid English clubs are allowed and they haven''t achieved anything to deserve European football.

It is called the champions league - because it is only for teams that have won their league.

They should change the UEFA cup back to the old knock-out system as well. With no second chance for CL failures either.

Same as teams like San Marino and Gibraltar etc in the qualifiers.

Get rid of them. Reduce the amount of internationals and put more teams in the premier league and championship

Yes if you don''t care. Then you don''t need to waste your time getting involved in this particular discussion. I care because it annoys me that teams who have achieved nothing in the premier league are allowed to play against a team of champions. Surely to play at such a high level - you must have achieved something. Just finishing in a position - doesn''t make you a champion - and therefore those teams shouldn''t be eligible to compete in the champions league.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]It''s all about earning more money !    £££££££££[/quote]oh dear

you''ll upset some of the not too bright saying things like that

a champion wins something.... Be it a league title, FA cup or even League cup. 2nd 3rd and 4th win nothing...

how brave would uefa be to change it?

also, turn it into straight knockout to stop the rich getting richer.. oh for another Red Star Belgrade or Steaua Bucherest.

Jas,

I believe its not up to UEFA to change who gets the spots. The only thing they say is a spot has to go to the champions. The other 3 spots I believe are up to the FA on how they are allocated. They decided (probably from heavy pressure of the PL) to do it spots 2-4 in the PL rather than make one of them the FA Cup winners.

I am sure this is what I read somewhere, but willing to be proven wrong

[quote user="Not Born Just Bred"]Jas, I believe its not up to UEFA to change who gets the spots. The only thing they say is a spot has to go to the champions. The other 3 spots I believe are up to the FA on how they are allocated. They decided (probably from heavy pressure of the PL) to do it spots 2-4 in the PL rather than make one of them the FA Cup winners. I am sure this is what I read somewhere, but willing to be proven wrong[/quote]

it may well be the case and wouldn''t be suprised at all.

a poor way of working if true... still would love to see it knockout.

As I said earlier, it''s what ever generates most money, and that''s clearly keeping it on a league basis.The thing I''m dead against is, that if they fail in the Champions League, they get a second go by joining the UEFA Cup.