Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

RICKY VAN WOLFSWINKEL - Saint Etienne 1-0 Metz

Just read match report of Saint Etienne 1-0 Metz. Gradel scored and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel got an assist with a headed pass. He now has 2 assists and 1 goal. He''s not so bad as people make out.

This just proves the boy has got ability despite the way people slag him off. I think the boy has ability - he is better at creating goals rather than scoring goals. I am sure he would still offer Norwich something - he has ability to create chances for others - that is his strength - not scoring goals. I remember last season he got an assist against Chelsea.

I am sure now under Neil Adams with the attacking football we play this would suit Van Wolfswinkel. Clueless Hughton couldn''t get the best out of him - because we were playing negative defensive football and not creating enough chances for players like RVW.

I was one of those who, for some unknown reason to myself, wanted RVW to stay this season as I thought he would "come good". BUT.....please lets be realistic........oh, I get it......its a thread designed to have yet another crack at CH despite him no longer being with the club, get over it.

He was touted as a goalscorer so why do you think he is better at creating goals?

For a Dutch international striker, 1 goal and 2 assists in 6 games is hardly setting the world alight.

Think we bought a dud one here.

You just can''t give RVW praise when he does something well - he created a goal for Gradel against Metz and Saint Etienne won 1-0. So you have to say well done RVW. But you would rather just beat RVW over the head with your stick and focus on his faults and weaknesses. I hate the attitude of people like you - you don''t recognise his talent and ability. You love to criticize and slag him off. You use him as a scape goat.

Fans have every right to have a crack and moan about Chris Hughton because he got this club relegated with his crap football. Although I will say one thing CH did guide us to an 11th place finish - under Lambert we finished 12th. 11th place is the highest we finished in the premier league in the 3 years we spent in it. He kept us in the premier league for one season and by the way I don''t agree with some of the things people said about Hughton. There were times when Norwich looked like staying in the premier league and they were so many points above the relegation zone. At one point we were 6 pts or more above the relegation zone. So for that reason I can understand why the board hesitated in changing the manager. If you look at a premier league table - and your team is 6 pts above the relegation zone - you would think things are okay - we aren''t in the relegation zone and we can stay up - we just need more points. I just think Hughton dragged Norwich right down the table with his rubbish football - getting us to win games 1-0 and that sort of football wasn''t getting us results. The debate really is at one point after Christmas should the board have sacked Hughton. The answer is probably obvious with about 15 games or something like that to go. There was a point when Norwich had 23 games - and were on 24 pts and 6 pts above the relegation zone. So when a team is in that position you think - we will trust the manager to get us to 40 pts and keep us in the premier league.RVW is coming good - he has got 2 assists and 1 goal - I am sure he will get more assists for Saint Etienne this season. I agree with your other point - I wanted RVW to stay and be given a chance this season - because I am sure he would do better for us - with the way Adams has Norwich playing - the emphasis being on scoring goals rather than stopping the other team scoring.

The irony is that we ''unloaded'' him just as the team was on the cusp of playing a more attack minded game. This would have demonstrated his real worth, either as a scorer or provider.We also ''unloaded'' him just as he would have been on the cusp of playing against Championship defences.Would this have been his real level? We will probably never know.In fact, did he jump ship or was he pushed? That we will probably never know either.It has actually crossed my mind recently that RVW might  just have had more success up front in unlocking these packed defences than our current mis-firers. He would have provided something different at least.Having said that,  the same has also crossed my mind about Grant Holt. Apparently he did a fine job of unsettling the normally sound Ipswich Town defence in the latter stages of their game last time out.

[quote user="Craig Brown"]You just can''t give RVW praise when he does something well - he created a goal for Gradel against Metz and Saint Etienne won 1-0. So you have to say well done RVW. But you would rather just beat RVW over the head with your stick and focus on his faults and weaknesses. I hate the attitude of people like you - you don''t recognise his talent and ability. You love to criticize and slag him off. You use him as a scape goat.[/quote]I calculate his record so far with St Etienne as one goal in 602 minutes of playing time. Obviously it is a matter of opinion whether that is acceptable for someone being used as a main striker.

Sh*t player, playing in a crap league (PSG apart) and not scoring goals...

Neil Adams deemed him not good enough and unloaded him...

move on people.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Craig Brown"]You just can''t give RVW praise when he does something well - he created a goal for Gradel against Metz and Saint Etienne won 1-0. So you have to say well done RVW. But you would rather just beat RVW over the head with your stick and focus on his faults and weaknesses. I hate the attitude of people like you - you don''t recognise his talent and ability. You love to criticize and slag him off. You use him as a scape goat.[/quote]I calculate his record so far with St Etienne as one goal in 602 minutes of playing time. Obviously it is a matter of opinion whether that is acceptable for someone being used as a main striker.[/quote]I missed out extra-time in a Europa League game. Not counting time added on at the end of each half, I make it one goal in 634 minutes of playing time. To be fair to van Wolfswinkel, it seems as if St Etienne are using him as a lone striker, and I don''t think - if he has a best position - that is it.

Whichever RvW camp you are in (hater who loves to hater or the love in-ers) it is in the clubs best interest that he does well and impresses there - he remains on loan and our player;    Returns here if he has a poor season and we have a white elephant to offload,  return here after a good season and he is easier to move on or plays for us with renewed confidence.

For our sake we have to hope his confidence is returning and the goals and assists continue to happen  

Yeah creating and setting someone up is shit to you - you moron - you are far too critical of RVW - he is not as bad as you make him out to be. People like you are so judgemental. Ricky scored 28 goals for Sporting Lisbon - 2011-2013. He scored 26 goals for Utrecht 2009-2011. You call that shit - do you? No he has ability to score goals and create goals. Morons like you think he is a bad player - because he had one bad season at Norwich. Well before he came to Norwich - his record of scoring goals was good at Sporting Lisbon and Utrecht.

I would take him back over Grabban (utter 5hite) Jerome (who has quickly reverted to a striker who does not score) or Lafferty (god knows what good he is ) .One things for certain if we do change managers and manage to gain promotion we will need a whole new squad bar one or two next season .

[quote user="Craig Brown"]Yeah creating and setting someone up is shit to you - you moron - you are far too critical of RVW - he is not as bad as you make him out to be. People like you are so judgemental. Ricky scored 28 goals for Sporting Lisbon - 2011-2013. He scored 26 goals for Utrecht 2009-2011. You call that shit - do you? No he has ability to score goals and create goals. Morons like you think he is a bad player - because he had one bad season at Norwich. Well before he came to Norwich - his record of scoring goals was good at Sporting Lisbon and Utrecht.[/quote]how did you decide that ?

He has got 2 assists for Saint Etienne. That is good. He is doing well. Some of you people are way too negative & harsh and critical. He doesn''t deserve criticism after how he played against Metz for Saint Etienne - his performance was good - he set up the winning goal for Gradel and they won 1-0.

Well obviously, with St Etienne sitting fourth, one point behind PSG, he must being playing poorly otherwise they would be playing him ............ Oh, wait a minute ................

Let''s just get off his back and see what the season brings him, after all, he is still one of our players.

So glad Ricky is doing well, he was on the subs bench to start but it is great

I think we have many lazy fans who have not read articles for before the loan. Ricky highlighted that he did not want to go.and that he hoped it could be a short term loan as he was aware we had to sell some big earners. Since then we have sold some bigger earners at the club

For me if we go in the prem I would want him back and he is a better forward than our current group. It takes foreign players time to settle. Fortunately big clubs can wait but a club likes ours can''t

If we do not go up I think he will move to a top flight club in Europe etc. he has all the right contacts and ability to get that move.

I also note if we do go up and if adams is in charge it would be a coup for adams to bring him back, personally I feel adams does not rate Ricky and I think that is a mistake as if we go up we have a forward who could come back full of confidence and a point to prove.

Letting RVW go out on loan will cost NCFC millions, the forwards we have now will never score enough goals to get us promotion.

RVW would have scored 20+ goals this season

There is absolutely no evidence that he would have scored 20+ goals in a physical league like this one. That is just fanciful.

I hope he does well but as yet one goal in 600 minutes is hardly setting the world on fire is it?

On top of that his wages were way above our other strikers.

I fully agree that there is no evidence that he would have scored 20+ goals this season, and think that the loan deal was probably the best option for both player and club, but I am getting fed up with the Championship being continually referred to as a physical league.

Perhaps somebody can tell me of players more physical than John Terry, Ryan Shawcross, Robert Huth, Vincent Kompany, Martin Demichelis, James Collins, Àngel Rangel, Martin Škrtel, Younes Kaboul and Ron Vlaar in the Championship.

These were the players RVW played against last season in the presumably ''less physical'' Premiership.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I fully agree that there is no evidence that he would have scored 20+ goals this season, and think that the loan deal was probably the best option for both player and club, but I am getting fed up with the Championship being continually referred to as a physical league.

Perhaps somebody can tell me of players more physical than John Terry, Ryan Shawcross, Robert Huth, Vincent Kompany, Martin Demichelis, James Collins, Àngel Rangel, Martin Škrtel, Younes Kaboul and Ron Vlaar in the Championship.

These were the players RVW played against last season in the presumably ''less physical'' Premiership.[/quote]Agree with that, YW.  The physical demands will be similar in any league, the main difference being the pace of defenders being slightly less in the championship - thus giving attackers a touch more space.   RVW would have been more likely to score in this league, without a doubt.  Better than Grabban or Jerome?  Maybe on the evidence of the last five games - yes.

"RVW would have scored 20+ goals this season"

But simmo, based on that he should have scored something like 4 or 5 by now with St. Etienne in a league probably at a similar level to where we are right now. We already have two strikers who have scored more than that even with them both having a barren spell.

What I think we all agree, is that we need him to do well and not fail so that we can stand a chance of getting most of the investment back.

[quote user="smooth"]So glad Ricky is doing well, he was on the subs bench to start but it is great I think we have many lazy fans who have not read articles for before the loan. Ricky highlighted that he did not want to go.and that he hoped it could be a short term loan as he was aware we had to sell some big earners. Since then we have sold some bigger earners at the club For me if we go in the prem I would want him back and he is a better forward than our current group. It takes foreign players time to settle. Fortunately big clubs can wait but a club likes ours can''t If we do not go up I think he will move to a top flight club in Europe etc. he has all the right contacts and ability to get that move. I also note if we do go up and if adams is in charge it would be a coup for adams to bring him back, personally I feel adams does not rate Ricky and I think that is a mistake as if we go up we have a forward who could come back full of confidence and a point to prove.[/quote]

he will never play for us again... this has been covered many times already!

the terms of the loan deal mean St Etienne can sign him for about £3million i think at any time... if he does well they will exercise this right.. if he does poorly he will be sent back.. would we really want him then?

[quote user="Craig Brown"]Yeah creating and setting someone up is shit to you - you moron - you are far too critical of RVW - he is not as bad as you make him out to be. People like you are so judgemental. Ricky scored 28 goals for Sporting Lisbon - 2011-2013. He scored 26 goals for Utrecht 2009-2011.[/quote]

had he have done that in Spain, Germany, england, Italy i''d have been impressed... the Dutch and Portuguese leagues (barring 1 or 2 teams) are championship/League 1 at best...

RVW would get 35 a season in Scotland.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="smooth"]So glad Ricky is doing well, he was on the subs bench to start but it is great I think we have many lazy fans who have not read articles for before the loan. Ricky highlighted that he did not want to go.and that he hoped it could be a short term loan as he was aware we had to sell some big earners. Since then we have sold some bigger earners at the club For me if we go in the prem I would want him back and he is a better forward than our current group. It takes foreign players time to settle. Fortunately big clubs can wait but a club likes ours can''t If we do not go up I think he will move to a top flight club in Europe etc. he has all the right contacts and ability to get that move. I also note if we do go up and if adams is in charge it would be a coup for adams to bring him back, personally I feel adams does not rate Ricky and I think that is a mistake as if we go up we have a forward who could come back full of confidence and a point to prove.[/quote]

the terms of the loan deal mean St Etienne can sign him for about £3million i think at any time... if he does well they will exercise this right.. if he does poorly he will be sent back.. would we really want him then?

[/quote]£6m is the published figure. And that is on top of the £1.25m for this season''s loan.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

£6m is the published figure. And that is on top of the £1.25m for this season''s loan.
[/quote]

cheers Purple!

I don''t think RVW would have been suited to the roughhouse, kick and rush style that Neil Adams is currently blighting our team with. The French league is a lot more tactical and technical than England, so I think that after realising Neeyul''s ''footballing'' style was little different to Hoofton''s he jumped at the opportunity to go to France.