Sign in to follow this  
CiderkiddCanary

Yellow match-day balls until March

Previously it was up to the match officials to decide whether to use a different colour match-day ball on the day, depending on weather conditions. Now it''s pre-determined that all Football League matches until the end of February will use these balls regardless of weather conditions.As to your question regarding whether this is news or not: the link I posted in the original post is filed under "News" on the FL website, so I''m guessing it is. [;)]

[quote user="CiderkiddCanary"]As to your question regarding whether this is news or not: the link I posted in the original post is filed under "News" on the FL website, so I''m guessing it is. [;)][/quote]

Fair play

they are also now announcing 3 points for a win, midweek games to be played under flood lights and substitutes can be used for the first time!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]they are also now announcing 3 points for a win, midweek games to be played under flood lights and substitutes can be used for the first time![/quote]I can''t help feeling jas, that football will be irrevocably changed for the worse by those announcements.  I''m shocked.[;)]

I''ll try and turn this into news if I may.

It''s meant to snow for a long time during the christmas period where championship games come thick and fast, Derby, our biggest rivals for the top spot, currently top of the table, unfairly missing out in promotion having lost the play-off final in the last minute, are a side who play slick passing, intricate football. With the heavy snow due and only Chris Martin up front to hold the ball up, I can see them struggling in these months where you need to grind out wins.

...acually, no I like the yellow ball story better because it''s the colour that we play in.

The news from this is that all FL matches will have yellow balls from this weekend until the end of February regardless of the weather conditions. This represents a change from usual practice whereby these balls would only usually be used when required by weather or lighting conditions.This is therefore NOT simply saying "bright coloured balls used in winter months", which I agree would be a non-story.Despite this, I reckon it''s still a more interesting thread than most that I see on here. And will prepare those expecting white balls at matches through the winter.And most importantly, will we see yellow balls at Carrow Road tomorrow evening? I''ll be checking the TV monitors in the concourses when the match kicks off with the utmost attention.[:D]

Maybe the yellow balls will act as a constant reminder to the players that they need to pass it to someone in a yellow shirt.Mind you, I use yellow golf balls in the winter and just like the white ones, they don''t go where they''re intended either.

[quote user="CiderkiddCanary"]The news from this is that all FL matches will have yellow balls from this weekend until the end of February regardless of the weather conditions. [/quote]

they''ve done this every season for about 15 years.

I''m 100% certain that the football league have been using yellow balls during the winter months regardless of weather for a good few years. This was certainly the case prior to 2011 when we were promoted, so it would only be if they reversed this initiative during the last three seasons that this would be a change.

Anybody remember the old lace up leather balls? However heavy did they get in the snow! I reckon we should use one of them done up with a rainbow lace to commemorate Stephen Fry''s reelection to the board. Reckon some of the old codgers on here would have apoplexy at the very thought..

The old leather balls used to pick up the snow as they rolled getting bigger and bigger, can remember them using a red or bright orange ball in the snow.But then again I remember boots with rock hard toe caps, nailed in studs and the lost art of the toe punt.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]
The old leather balls used to pick up the snow as they rolled getting bigger and bigger, can remember them using a red or bright orange ball in the snow.

But then again I remember boots with rock hard toe caps, nailed in studs and the lost art of the toe punt.

[/quote]

Ah, the old ''toe-punt'' - thing is, our lot don''t seem to know which way the opposition''s goal is these days do they? Clark''s Wayfarers - that''s what they need!