Sign in to follow this  
DannyNCFC7

The version of Santa you described was done first by Coca Cola. That is a from a documentary about Christmas. Obviously in previous versions he had various colours of clothing, but the fat, white haired, bearded, red clad Santa was all Coke.

You implied that Christmas has been hijacked and that Halloween is trashy with you comments on this thread about all things tacky originating in America. Tom Jones and the Bay City Rollers aside.

Your attempt at humour with the Remembrance Day crack was a complete and total failure.

Can''t stand the Americanised version of Halloween. Sticking a candle in a mask out of a sugarbeet (not a pumpkin) is all hat is needed. Can''t bear trick or great, I rub dog mess in their faces. What I hate most about hallloween is that it has killed off the real tradition of bonfire night. When I was a kid November 5th was the best night of the year apart from Christmas Eve. Weeks building a bonfire and penny for the guy. Now you buy a load of plastic Halloween crap from ASDA.

Back to the original topic, apparently is was rocking where LDC was. You could hear a pin drop all match in the Main Stand. The propensity for the Lower Barclay to delude itself that it''s creating a cauldron of noise never ceases to amuse.Perhaps they put in some extra effort to celebrate one of LDCs rare visits which he will now drone on about endlessly.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]The version of Santa you described was done first by Coca Cola. That is a from a documentary about Christmas. Obviously in previous versions he had various colours of clothing, but the fat, white haired, bearded, red clad Santa was all Coke.

You implied that Christmas has been hijacked and that Halloween is trashy with you comments on this thread about all things tacky originating in America. Tom Jones and the Bay City Rollers aside.

Your attempt at humour with the Remembrance Day crack was a complete and total failure.[/quote]

dearie meI actually stated that "the version of Santa you described was done first by Coca Cola" as a means of explaining that whilst for many it is that perception of Christmas that many have, Christmas DID NOT have it''s origins in that image, anymore than Halloween has it''s origins in the USNOT THAT XMAS HAS BEEN HIGHJACKED !Again I did not state that -Christmas has been hijacked that Halloween is trashy  all things tacky originating in America. that is just you making up lies

so why not get a grown up to read what I actually wrote and ask him or her to help you with a reasoned replyor simply take out the candle that is stuck between your pumpkin head, and find something a bit brighter to light up that empty space

To quote yourself, "thankfully the US is the home of the tacky, the banal, and the downright sickeningly maudling", which I summarised down to "trashy".

Clarifying or changing what you meant in a previous post doesn''t mean the previous post was never there. The fact is the current common image of Santa was a creation of Coca Cola. Your apparently poorly worded statement (because it sure didn''t sound like what you now say it was meant to) is very misleading. What a dumbass!

what on earth are you bleating on about ?how on earth does -"the US is the home of the tacky, the banal, and the downright sickeningly maudling",become"all things tacky originating in America."

and perhaps also point out where I stated that "Christmas has been hijacked ""that Halloween is trashy"

a simple, quote from what I posted will do

and your squeak about "The fact is the current common image of Santa was a creation of Coca Cola."is what I posted in the first place ! ! !

Christmas - hijacked by Coca Cola.Coca Cola - the icon of American Advertising Culture.American Advertising Culture - the use of any trashy, tacky and banal means possible in the pursuit of money and power.

Ergo - Christmas hijacked by the pursuit of money and power.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]are there no effective advertisements originating in England?[/quote]

Yes, but America leads the way - as it does in a lot of things (unfortunately).  The most effective advert in uk history is probably "Fairy Liquid" - ''now hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, with mild green fairy liquid'' is a phrase indelibly printed in anyone over 40''s brain. Advertising is a business empty of morality........ask anyone who has been in advertising for very long, if you can find anyone there who is not alcoholic or insane..........."A mars a day helps you work rest and play"......if it doesn''t rot your teeth make you obese or diabetic in the process.........Coca Cola is America.  USA advertising  hijacked Christmas and the rest of the corporate world saw it and that it was good (for them) and copied it.

[quote user="Jenkins"]It thought Dickens hijacked Christmas a long time before Coke[/quote]

Depends on how far back you want to go.........Christianity originally hijacked Christmas from the pagans who celebrated the celestial rebirth of the midwinter solstice at around the same time...

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]The version of Santa you described was done first by Coca Cola. That is a from a documentary about Christmas. Obviously in previous versions he had various colours of clothing, but the fat, white haired, bearded, red clad Santa was all Coke.

Your attempt at humour with the Remembrance Day crack was a complete and total failure.[/quote]

No, that version of Santa was first done by Thomas Nast.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/11/2014 9:40 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

It thought Dickens hijacked Christmas a long time before Coke

Depends on how far back you want to go.........Christianity originally hijacked Christmas from the pagans who celebrated the celestial rebirth of the midwinter solstice at around the same time...

Absolutely, somebody has always hijacked it.

[quote user="Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/11/2014 9:40 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Absolutely, somebody has always hijacked it.[/quote]

Halloween was stolen by the Christians from the Celts and Pagans who celebrated their New Year (Samhain) on the 31st of October.They would build huge bonfires, burn offerings, carve turnips and parade around the villages with torches to ward off dead spirits.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/11/2014 9:40 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

Absolutely, somebody has always hijacked it.[/quote]

Halloween was stolen by the Christians from the Celts and Pagans who celebrated their New Year (Samhain) on the 31st of October.They would build huge bonfires, burn offerings, carve turnips and parade around the villages with torches to ward off dead spirits.[/quote]

That sound just like the centre of Ipswich on a Saturday night.............

There was only ever two topics under Chris Hughton.

1. Chris Hughton

2. Fabio Quag.

the 2nd seems to have outlasted the 1st.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]City 1st you''re just pretending to not get it because there''s no way you''re that stupid.

LDC, [/quote]not get what ?you have lied about what I have postedthe ball is in your courtput up quotes from me that back your liesit is as easy as that

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]I did, and you still denied it while responding to it directly. It''s like I''m debating a cat.[/quote]But after you got the Coca-Cola thing wrong how can we believe anything you''ve got to say?

Back to topic!

26,000 on a Friday night when the game is live on SKY, against opposition bringing hardly any fans and on Halloween night which many people celebrate (don''t know why, suppose its like a Christmas a commercial exercise that people feel they have to get involved?) is a very good crowd!

Many clubs with the urban myth of being better supported than us and in bigger grounds wouldn''t have got a crowd as big!

I get amused when we have under a 1000 tickets unsold, of which at least 200 were in the away end for a game, we get all the experts telling us that''s why we don''t need to increase the ground capacity!

If that game was at the end of the season with a large bearing on Norwich getting promoted, the game would be sold out!

In the Premiership with the size of our support our useable 26,900 useable capacity at Carrow Road isn''t big enough and our crowds of the last 10 years (even the 24,800 average ATT achieved in the 3rd Division included) prove that!

I''ve got no doubt that if we was in the top flight and Carrow Road held 35,000+ we''d average 32,000 at least!

As for the atmosphere, it wasn''t great and hasn''t been for a few years but like most clubs now the fans who to away games create more atmosphere!

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]I did, and you still denied it while responding to it directly. It''s like I''m debating a cat.[/quote]eh !you have not, so here''s your chance to either show me where you did ...............or point where I supposedly stated''Christmas has been hijacked''''that Halloween is trashy'' ''all things tacky originating in America'' as before, a simple quote from my posts will do

[quote user="chicken"]Halloween isn''t something just invented in the 1970''s. It''s been around much longer than that. Nor is it American - it pre-dates the AWI.

It has been slowly growing in popularity - probably due to the decline in other traditional celebrations such as May Day etc.

It''s widely reported to be the third biggest in terms of public expenditure after Christmas and Easter. It''s also slightly less iffy than burning a protestant on a bonfire . . . . .

Essentially it''s just a lot of fun, fancy dress often is.

Growing up in the late ''80''s, early ''90''s it certainly has grown in popularity, but then I embrace that. Sometimes traditions last, sometimes they don''t. Sometimes they go and come back again.

Happy ''All Saint''s Day''.

Sorry for the history lecture. But I am a little tired of old humbug''s claiming something never existed before - when it did, it was just celebrated differently (apart from the Irish who were wearing halloween masks 100ish years ago!).
[/quote]

We don''t do it right over here

in Mexico it''s diaz De Les Muertos (day of the dead) and is in fact a celebration of those that have gone before. Street carnivals and partys for families to remember loved ones.. it''s all brightly coloured and runs over 3 days.... No trick or treating and local chavs terrorising pensioners...

they also get a day off which is nice...

In Medievil Times in england " all saints day" would have required a child to perform a magic trick, sing or dance, in an organised show, in order to get the "treat" of a cake etc... now we hand sweets out willy nilly.

would love to see it observed how it used to be.

The way people are banging on, you would think the crowd was 15k.  it was only 600 down on the norm.  I think thats damn good given other things going, plus on tv etc etc.

Re. the atmosphere, does anyone else think the contrived "kick it off" at the start actually kills it a little?  I know its been said many times but it is embarrasing at best.  It certainly turns me off a bit.

I think a lot of the pre match atmosphere was low anyway beacuase of the approaching minutes silence. We got to our seats from the concourse just as OTBC was being sung and it did seem different. Although it took a while for people to hush down.