Sign in to follow this  
DannyNCFC7

strange to see those empty seats when there was so much squeaking last season about poor little ''horpans'' being denied their chance to follow City

and put upon dad''s who couldn''t attend games because there were nowhere in the ground where there are two seats together

where''s the much talked of 8000 ?

was it because there was school tomorrow, or work ?

perhaps the only time the next generation feel they need to get started in the life long following of Norwich City is when a top club comes to visit

I imagine a good few would have been knackered after a week''s work and possibly a long drive straight after.

26000 I thought was a good attendance all things considered.

Bolton hardly brought anybody so was virtually all home support. Televised game, Friday night not a great time for a game and lots of Halloween parties for the young and not so young to go to.

I have never bought into the argument of untapped demand of 8000 City 1st. It has been argued that at the right price you could get them in, but last night the price was cheap, casual tickets being only a couple of quid dearer that the average game price of a season ticket.

Your theory would hold up if the turnover of fans in the lower barclay was high.It''s not.  I bet half the people sitting there have done for a decade.And the lower barclay is like a graveyard most of the time now and has been for several years.

As for last night, 26K is fantastic.  Friday night.  On Sky.  At least 3000 people in the city with their kids for the Halloween event at the castle, plus Halloween parties.So your point is what exactly?

Great crowd for a Friday night a very usual time for a game and hallowen as well.

The Carra was a bit nervous last night due to the recent poor run the atmosphere will pick up with a couple of wins

Only criticism I can see are from some plastics who would rarely attend the games any way

wcorkcanary wrote the following post at 01/11/2014 10:36 AM:

How many Championship Clubs could get 26000 on Halloween, with the game on telly...on a friday night FFS.

---------------------------------------

I think the comment was not really about the attendance, but the atmosphere.

At the start it was pretty dead, but it picked up and if we start so pick up better results then we''ll be flying

It''s mainly due to the club, insisting the fans sit down, most of the snake pit have been giving ultimatum to sit or be kicked out? Sad really

Don''t think the club can be blamed for this, it''s instruction from above that the grounds are all seaters and the seats are there to be used.

I do agree that the new all seater stadia are responsible for the poorer atmospheres. not just at Carrow road but all over the country.

Mrs M.....''''I think the comment was not really about the attendance, but the atmosphere.

At the start it was pretty dead, but it picked up and if we start so pick up better results then we''ll be flying ''''

you''re right Mrs M, i was a bit off topic, as an exile i can only watch on the box, it seems there''s plenty of noise when we''re on top but understandably at the moment, nerves at 1nil and 2-1 seem to quieten the crowd a bit, as you so rightly say, confidence and self belief will return with results....as will the noise.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The profile of the crowd has steadily grown older and as such i suspect a proportion are 40+ who have grown out of shouting and singing[/quote]And most of them haven''t been out, or let out, on a Friday night for donkey''s years.

It''s odd people use Halloween as a reason attendance was down. We didn''t even know it existed in the 70''s. Will other America holidays affect the season? Thanksgiving is coming up. We don''t celebrate that. Yet.

Without getting into a rant about it, Halloween is incredibly popular over here with the young kids. So some parents have no choice but to take their children around annoying people rather than going to the game. The attendance was pretty damn good anyway.

Halloween isn''t something just invented in the 1970''s. It''s been around much longer than that. Nor is it American - it pre-dates the AWI.It has been slowly growing in popularity - probably due to the decline in other traditional celebrations such as May Day etc.It''s widely reported to be the third biggest in terms of public expenditure after Christmas and Easter. It''s also slightly less iffy than burning a protestant on a bonfire . . . . . Essentially it''s just a lot of fun, fancy dress often is.Growing up in the late ''80''s, early ''90''s it certainly has grown in popularity, but then I embrace that. Sometimes traditions last, sometimes they don''t. Sometimes they go and come back again.

Happy ''All Saint''s Day''.Sorry for the history lecture. But I am a little tired of old humbug''s claiming something never existed before - when it did, it was just celebrated differently (apart from the Irish who were wearing halloween masks 100ish years ago!).

It certainly existed in the UK. All the US marketing has done is sanitised it and defined it. 

It is no more US than is Father Xmas, it is just some marketing chap came up with the drawing of the fat, belted father Xmas which has now become the accepted face of ChristmasAs to attendances it is silly to scrabble round for feeble excuses is. The reality, as far as this forum is concerned, is that there was a hideous amount of whinging and whining because the wicked board would not sanction the redevelopment of the Main Stand. Set aside the logistical problems, and you still have the evidence that the demand is not there. Sure you can stimulate the demand by price reductions, but they would have to be right across the board which would negate the idea of redevelopment on the basis of income. The other basis, supposedly, was the next generation. And here the evidence (witness last night and all other home games this season) is that there is not the next generation clamouring to watch Norwich City. Fast forward to a season or two and if we are still in the Championship then see where that supposed demand is. Conversely, see us back in the PL and the demand will be there. Most probably from this mythical ''next generation'' who will just happen to want to see City ................ or more telling, the opposition.And that is how it is, and was ever so.

[quote user="chicken"]Halloween isn''t something just invented in the 1970''s. It''s been around much longer than that. Nor is it American - it pre-dates the AWI.It has been slowly growing in popularity - probably due to the decline in other traditional celebrations such as May Day etc.It''s widely reported to be the third biggest in terms of public expenditure after Christmas and Easter. It''s also slightly less iffy than burning a protestant on a bonfire . . . . . Essentially it''s just a lot of fun, fancy dress often is.Growing up in the late ''80''s, early ''90''s it certainly has grown in popularity, but then I embrace that. Sometimes traditions last, sometimes they don''t. Sometimes they go and come back again.

Happy ''All Saint''s Day''.Sorry for the history lecture. But I am a little tired of old humbug''s claiming something never existed before - when it did, it was just celebrated differently (apart from the Irish who were wearing halloween masks 100ish years ago!).[/quote]It was never celebrated here when I was a child in the 1950''s. We had Guy Fawkes night which was huge then compared with today. No such thing as firework displays in those days, we had a bon-fire on every street corner or bit of waste ground. Weeks before we would be collecting wood and raiding the bon-fire in the next street. It was all great fun and nowhere near as organised or sanitised as it is today.

I''m well aware of Halloween pre-existing the 70''s. All I said was we didn''t even know about it back then. It has been celebrated with costumes and trick or treating in America since the Great Depression. I guess too many people want to do things the American way, perhaps because America influences world pop culture with entertainment, and it rubs off. Does anyone plan on going to the MLK Day parade in January?

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]It''s odd people use Halloween as a reason attendance was down. We didn''t even know it existed in the 70''s. Will other America holidays affect the season? Thanksgiving is coming up. We don''t celebrate that. Yet.[/quote]

Like it or not ICPS, and I am not a big fan of halloween myself, there were lots of events going on in the City last night. So not an excuse just facing reality

Don''t see what the problem is in "only" getting 26,000 when that lot down the road can only muster 16,000.Yes it was a bit quiet but after our recent home form I think a lot of people were waiting for something to go wrong again

Growing up in the sticks in Norfolk there certainly was a tradition of ''mischief night'' - which pre war was not solely the behaviour of local teens and kids. The usual suspects would be target and we would roam about the village in the dark causing problems for anyone who was deemed '' an old basted''. Read up and you will see this was nothing more than a continuation of centuries of similar activity where, like the court jester, folk were given a license to make their feelings known on that night.Sadly it has now become merely a means to sell  stuff and for the not too bright to imagine that it is something to do with horror ... wearing Ebola style masks and hospital gowns ! ! ! My thoughts are that it may well eventually rival Xmas as the ''celebrations'' will spread worldwide and become distorted into a horror/gothic holiday. Tthankfully the US is the home of the tacky, the banal and the downright sickeningly maudling. Which means that at least Remembrance day will remain free from it''s mind numbing homilies and distortions - though I''ve no doubt that at sometime familes will want to follow suit and dig a trench in the back garden to stand in it and sing ''it''s a long way to Times Square'' before climbing out and engaging in a bout of American football (all 3 secs of it) with their neighbours .... then celebrating beating the krauts, and all things american, with a Becks beer and a hamburger.

The red suited Santa is a product of the Coca-Cola company''s advertising that the world embraced. There was no US plot to hijack Christmas.

The recent interest in Halloween was not orchestrated by the US either. If you find it to be tacky and maudlin, fine. I just happen to find it odd that it is becoming a tradition in England, too. Guy Fawkes Day is right around the corner and just as much fun, so why bother with Halloween when it went unnoticed outside of Canada and America a generation ago?

As for Remembrance Day, in the US it is called Veteran''s Day. It is marked with observances but not a day off from school. Memorial Day which comes at the end of May is the day off that also unofficially marks the start of summer.

It''s because we have been inundated with US films and TV programmes over the decades, in which Halloween has paid a part in many. The people think it looks fun and the marketing men realised they could make money out of it.I''d prefer we''d concentrate more on Guy Fawkes night,but hey-ho.

[quote user="Ice Cold Pineapple Soda"]The red suited Santa is a product of the Coca-Cola company''s advertising that the world embraced. There was no US plot to hijack Christmas.

The recent interest in Halloween was not orchestrated by the US either. If you find it to be tacky and maudlin, fine. I just happen to find it odd that it is becoming a tradition in England, too. Guy Fawkes Day is right around the corner and just as much fun, so why bother with Halloween when it went unnoticed outside of Canada and America a generation ago?

As for Remembrance Day, in the US it is called Veteran''s Day. It is marked with observances but not a day off from school. Memorial Day which comes at the end of May is the day off that also unofficially marks the start of summer.[/quote]No corrrect.The red coat dates way, way back before that. Nor has anyone claimed either that there is a "US plot to hijack Christmas." Likewise I did not state that I found Halloween " to be tacky and maudlin ".My comments about Remembrance day were merely a tongue in cheek joke at the expense of Hollywood and the US in general, in what I regard as their constant need to misrepresent historical events.that''s all