Sign in to follow this  
Chippy Minton

MUGA............

.....is, I think, a term from Bhuddism. it means  "focus on the now". How many other posters are frustrated/hacked off/ready to scream with the constant ''if onlys'' that appear on this forum? If Lennon/Mackay/Zola/etc had been appointed..... If Lambert was still here with this squad.... Well what about O''Neill, Walker, Stringer with this squad? Or on the other hand, Megson? Or what about Grant or Roeder!!!!All this looking back is pretty pointless. I used to love Spangles - even the Olde English ones.Only today is really relevant. Neil Adams is our manager and doing a pretty decent job - 3 points off the top after a third of the season, outscored by only 3 teams and let in fewer goals than just Derby.He possibly could have done better in some of the games, as could Grabben, and Redmond, and Whittaker, and Johnson and just about every other player. But we can all say that can''t we? In our own jobs, hobbies or pastimes that we engage in are we 100% absolutely fantastic every single time?I''m thoroughly enjoying this season, as I have every other season that I have supported Norwich. Some games are exhilarating, others frustrating, some boring but all are my team. The current incumbent of the managers position (and all the team) deserves the support of all of us while he is in charge and keeping us in the promotion stakes. Until it proves otherwise let''s focus on today and what is possible not on the past and things that might have been.

I think it is rather foolish ''to focus on today'' as there is no game todayperhaps that is why folk ponder about yesterday and the day ahead, when there was a game and there will be a game

[quote user="City1st"]I think it is rather foolish ''to focus on today'' as there is no game todayperhaps that is why folk ponder about yesterday and the day ahead, when there was a game and there will be a game

[/quote]

You had to do it did n''t you. The expression means forget about what has gone, not what you stupidly try to make it mean in order do denigrate a posters point. If you do not understand this, I will elucidate in words a simpleton, so long as he can read, would understand.

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="City1st"]I think it is rather foolish ''to focus on today'' as there is no game todayperhaps that is why folk ponder about yesterday and the day ahead, when there was a game and there will be a game[/quote]

You had to do it did n''t you. The expression means forget about what has gone, not what you stupidly try to make it mean in order do denigrate a posters point. If you do not understand this, I will elucidate in words a simpleton, so long as he can read, would understand.[/quote]

It''s not worth it, SM, its just his way of getting attention. As for Buddhism, Tolle etc......their message is something other sports are taking on board - the living in the "now", or living in "the moment".    It is generally recognised that being in the moment is where you get the best out of yourself in terms of performance.  Brian Clough lived by it - get your players to forget everything else and just focus on the ball.  Forget about angry or frustrated fans, refereeing decisions, fouls, injustices, setbacks, etc etc.  They only serve to get in the way of what you are trying to do - and take your mental focus away from what you should be concentrating on.   It is what used to frustrate me about Snodgrass - hardly ever apparently in the moment - always complaining about what has happened to him instead of focusing on the present.  I wouldn''t mind betting his penalty miss last season was down to him not being able to focus on the present moment.   Substitutes coming on the pitch sometimes find it difficult to adjust to the way the game is going because the players that have been on the pitch are at a level of focus or "nowness"  that is hard to prepare for sitting on the bench.  Johnson on Friday looked to me to have his own agenda rather than a team agenda - a player trying to impress maybe to get back in the team rather than fitting in with what was required.  Maybe harsh, but that was my impression. 

Imo, if football clubs really want to get the best from their players, they will make sure they all do yoga, meditation and practice  learning to live in the present moment.    That way you would guarantee that your team isn''t going to get sidetracked when things go against them or lose concentration, ssuccumb to pressure or have detrimental emotions on the pitch.  Other sports are doing it - but football still gives the impression it is behind the times in that department.