Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Kick Off Moan

I''m surprised more people don''t try it tbh.  How often do we see a kick off where the first forward pass is a hopeful punt up the field, 99% of the time going straight to the opposition or out of play?  

Curiously English trade secret Nutella... English managers had a penchant for doing this as it allowed for a fixed coaching position to be planned for.

The logic being that the worst you get is a throw in for or against you fairly deep into enemy territory (coaches like to base positioning of players around repeatable, fixed scenarios).

There is a belief that early nerves are settled this way and that the initial feeling of territorial gain and thus early pressure encourages a positive mindset from the off.

Quite how this is really better than just keepin the ball and getting plenty of early touches is not really clear to me. Do English players trust their technique so little?

Parma

Something that has annoyed me for years, we''ve done it under every single manager we have.

Get the territorial gains etc but it is annoying when we did it vs Liverpool and 10 seconds later Suarez has scored

I remember when I was 18 playing for a pub team this is how we kicked off - 3 attackers on one flank with the ball hoofed down that way. Didn''t work often for us either.

I really struggle to see why Prem teams don''t just start by passing the ball around the midfield.

I started the thread a bit tongue in cheek but it''s turned up some interesting points since Parma posted. The reason must be territorial as has been said. Why is it paricularly English? Well maybe that''s from our rugger roots. The points about giving players an early touch, even the keeper, make more sense to me.

Good point, it is just like a rugby kick off. I can''t imagine a continental team being so willing to give up Possession. Which is what it amounts to most of the time,

Having a shot from kick off would be worth a go, you could check how the goalie tends to position himself at kick off and if he comes too far forward you could give it a go

Probably it would only be worth tryin once tbh- it would be noticed by other teams very quickly