Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Much more the stuff of promotion contenders

Not at our fluent best but always had a little bit til much for a team who are improving a lot and will rise up the league under Lennon.

I know its easy to say this because we win but that''s what promotion chasing teams do. Win games at home without perhaps being at their best. Until tonight we''ve not found a way to do that but had it not been for a stupid defensive mix up that would have been a 2-0 win against one of the better sides weve played.

Redmond was immense. Hope he gets a goal soon because on this sort of form he could go on a great run.

Jim, the result was certainly better, but the performance was very average, other than a quality player finishing and maybe a 15 minute spell where we at last played with a bit of a higher tempo. Redmond was great, he is putting in a lot of work and could ultimately be the difference for us this season.

That''s my point though Mark. That''s what teams that go up do. They don''t always play brilliantly but they find a way to win these games which is what has been a bit worrying about our other recent games where we''ve arguably played better but not won.

I thought we were generally comfortable until the late defensive error and virtually everyone played well. We can play better though and I think this line up will be well suited to away games so I''m optimistic for Boro and Forest. Redmond in particular seems to be coming into a rich vein of form and getting his confidence back.

The fact remains......and it is evidenced through possession stats anyway....we have dominated every team this season apart from the opening game. We ARE a better team than any we have played to date and arguably can match Wolves. So yes we are contenders

"the result was certainly better, but the performance was very average, other than a quality player finishing"Which is what most people whined about in the premier league when we tonked teams, but did not score and then they did - like Chelsea.So what you''re saying is even when not at our best, we are quality when it needs to be.Do think before you post.

Last night was nothing more & nothing less than a regulation win. And to get out of this league you need quite a lot of those. We might not have played to our full potential, whatever that is, and we might not have scored 4 or 5 goals, but we could have.All that really matters is that we got 3 points. Job well done.

Absolutely MP. One lapse of concentration aside, that was a straightforward win without the need to get out of third gear. It''s a bloody long season and there is no point in us going full pelt.

The trouble with a performance like last night''s is that people will start to get carried away like they did when we had similar wins under Hughton. By non-plastic standards last night would be considered below average, especially against a poor side like Bolton who gave us something of an easy ride. That the performance was noticeably better than recent games indicates how far we''ve fallen. We''re likely to continue to struggle if the players continue to show a lack of movement and end up hoofing the ball in frustration.The main bright spot was Howson playing some good through balls, it looked to me like we''d been working on this in training. But the rest was nothing to write home about and certainly not good enough if we want to finish in the top two.

Maybe you should watch the games properly instead of spending your time on here fishing. We did enough to win the game comfortably, no more, no less.

It was a good battling performance, but I''m still a little worried about our porous defence.Too many times the opposition have had only one or two shots against us and scored.   [URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/SwindonCanary/media/Leakingbucket.jpg.html][IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/SwindonCanary/Leakingbucket.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Herman "]Maybe you should watch the games properly instead of spending your time on here fishing. We did enough to win the game comfortably, no more, no less.[/quote]If "watching the games properly" involves putting on rose-tinted glasses or

looking the other way when we needlessly concede possession, then I''d

have to concede that I''m doing something wrong when I go to matches.When I was at games witnessing first hand Hoofton scraping a win, you were undoubtedly at home "watching it properly" in front of a laptop screen and posting on here how there was no chance of relegation with such a managerial genius in charge.

There''s more chance of me being at CR than you,so stop bollocking on with your endless trolling.

Our defense is hardly porous.

I could have sworn we dominated the game and won it, but apparently not.

Every team has a series of at least a few games where the run of play and results don''t live up to expectations. If we are going to earn automatic promotion, then maybe these last few games (before yesterday) make up our bad run for the season.

Onwards and upwards!

I had actually forgotten that unless you were one of the 26,000 who attended the game you are not entitled to an opinion on this message board, do forgive me.

Also, had forgotten that unless you see the game through yellow and green tinted glasses and cream over the performance and the managerial abilities of Neil Adams rather than comment on what you actually see and try to give a balanced and realistic view, then your opinion is also not valid.

So, with this in mind, I have just watched a recording of the match and am delighted to report that I need to change my view on the match.

O''Neil was even better than I thought he was (so why wasnt he played before!!!!), as was Redmond and Jerome too. But, other than that, yes, what I saw compared very closely to the first time I watched it.

Now, and I maybe in the minority, but I believe that we are playing well below our potential, at a slow pedestrian tempo, and when we should be dominating this division we are actually just one of many "contender''s".

Oh, and I dont expect every performance to be fantastic, and thought about all of that before I posted.

[quote user="Herman "]There''s more chance of me being at CR than you,so stop bollocking on with your endless trolling.[/quote]Herman, I''ve never said you never go to Carrow road. You''d do well to adopt a live-and-let-live attitude instead of labeling all those you disagree with as trolls. Perhaps you could engage in a football discussion rather than blowing your top?I''m

not against those watching at home on streams from commenting per se.

It''s just a bit rich when starry-eyed stream-watchers mindlessly criticise someone who actually went to a match for expressing an opinion.

So you spend a lot of money to go to a football game and then spend most of your time,on your phone,posting bollox on a forum? Top fan[Y]

LOL Herman! 1touch on the dog & bone all game is another one im glad I don''t sit next to. This really is a good day for me to be counting my blessings..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]LOL Herman! 1touch on the dog & bone all game is another one im glad I don''t sit next to. This really is a good day for me to be counting my blessings..[/quote]You had the good fortune to see Hill, Bryceland, Davies, Peters, McDougal and Hucks.What more could you possibly wish for?

played some nice quick accurate passing football at times, that looked like a premier league team/promotion contenders

good win but bolton look really sh1t3

should have been 3 or 4 nil

I like Neil, and he''s doing a good job by the standard of managers in the league today BUT just a few years back...the messiah himself Lambert would have this team walking the league. we went up with a league 1 team Adams has undoubtedly a better squad. The table tells us how good he''s doing and we''re in there and could quite easily of been top by now if we''d taken 2 of the many squandered chances recently. Could Neil become the next better more loyal messiah he''s in his infancy as manager if he continues learning at the rate he is now we should be in the mix barring a monumental breakdown.

[quote user="Herman "]So you spend a lot of money to go to a football game and then spend most of your time,on your phone,posting bollox on a forum? Top fan[Y][/quote]it is Waveneyhe''s been court out like this beforehaving been challenged about posting on here during a game, he claimed that it was during the half time it was not, the time of posting was during playas he was yesterday

........................ or perhaps he was sat in the Wensum Stand with wiz

bang to rightsI''ll come quietly guvit''s a fair copit''s caught, not as I wrote court

I blame my up bringing

Middlesborough on Tuesday could prove to be something of a yardstick in terms of whether we''re good enough to make the playoffs. Apart from Cardiff we''ve not done too well on the road against the better sides. A run of these games going into the new year should give an idea of how good we really are.Poor results around Christmas could see us drop out of the race for the top two, and thereby see Adams come under further pressure.

further pressure, Waveney ?perhaps you should stick to posting during the half time

I''ve been relatively happy with our performance levels over the season.

I certainly think Adams has made a couple of decisions I don''t agree with but overall I think it''s hard to criticise his tactical approach when we have dominated (statistically, too!) pretty much every team we''ve played. And we''ve created goal-scoring opportunities in every one of them.

Adams can''t account for hitting the crossbar, missing a 1on1, or whatever.

It''s a case of getting a bit of consistency in the starting 11 in a 4-2-3-1, in my opinion, and a bit of luck to go with it.