Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Shoutout to the Ultras in the Barclay

First time I''ve ever seen old-fashioned style flags being waved at the top of the Lower Barclay. Nice to see. I was quite surprised the stewards didn''t threaten to chuck them out for it!

Next home game, I''m expecting something like this..

http://uniceone.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/hf05-1.jpg

I was lucky - had a seat in the row in front of them - a good group there - sang almost non stop for most of the match.  Someone said on another thread the atmosphere was a bit dead in the ground.....not in that part of the Lower Barclay it wasn''t. 

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Louder atmosphere at my local library. You could have at least tried to drown out the 2 Bolton fans pretending to be commentators.

The thread started about the lack of atmosphere was by someone who within the last 2 or 3 years was asking where the best to place to sit to get the best atmosphere was (for his first game).

Back in the day my @rse.

"Exactly what I have been saying LDC

I don''t believe that many of those criticising a lack of atmosphere were actually at the game ,,,,, or maybe they sit in the " river end "

I do have the misfortune of inheriting a seat in the River End. Although there are a handful of naughty rebels who now stand up when we have a corner! (True madness) It hasn''t gone down well with the stewards

[quote user="Jacks Back"]"Exactly what I have been saying LDC

I don''t believe that many of those criticising a lack of atmosphere were actually at the game ,,,,, or maybe they sit in the " river end "

I do have the misfortune of inheriting a seat in the River End. Although there are a handful of naughty rebels who now stand up when we have a corner! (True madness) It hasn''t gone down well with the stewards[/quote]

The thing that I have noticed - and as a casual ticket buyer I sit at different places in the ground - is that the noise levels and perception of what is going on around you is different depending on where you sit/stand.  In the Upper Barclay I find the noise is louder - but less easy to hear individual chants as it all gets mixed up in the general noise and mixture of chanting that goes on.  In the Lower barclay it was easier to hear localised chanting - but difficult to hear what noise was coming from behind in the Upper Barclay.  In the Jarrold it feels the singing feels a little innefective - especially when the away fans are making a lot of noise, but you can at least get a better idea of what noise is happening in the rest of the ground.  The City Stand can be very noisy, especially towards the snake pit end.    I try to avoid the River End after going there one match where there was almost total silence (admittedly a poor match).  I prefer the City Stand overall as the low roof and the good sound properties create a good atmosphere when the match is exciting.  It also allows you to hear the noise from the rest of the ground well, giving the best idea of the level of vocal support from home and away supporters.  Was impressed with the noise in E Block Lower Barclay yesterday - one guy in particular leading the singing and waving/supplying the flags. Good on yer!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jacks Back"]"Exactly what I have been saying LDC

I do have the misfortune of inheriting a seat in the River End. Although there are a handful of naughty rebels who now stand up when we have a corner! (True madness) It hasn''t gone down well with the stewards[/quote]

The thing that I have noticed - and as a casual ticket buyer I sit at different places in the ground - is that the noise levels and perception of what is going on around you is different depending on where you sit/stand.  In the Upper Barclay I find the noise is louder - but less easy to hear individual chants as it all gets mixed up in the general noise and mixture of chanting that goes on.  In the Lower barclay it was easier to hear localised chanting - but difficult to hear what noise was coming from behind in the Upper Barclay.  In the Jarrold it feels the singing feels a little innefective - especially when the away fans are making a lot of noise, but you can at least get a better idea of what noise is happening in the rest of the ground.  The City Stand can be very noisy, especially towards the snake pit end.    I try to avoid the River End after going there one match where there was almost total silence (admittedly a poor match).  I prefer the City Stand overall as the low roof and the good sound properties create a good atmosphere when the match is exciting.  It also allows you to hear the noise from the rest of the ground well, giving the best idea of the level of vocal support from home and away supporters.  Was impressed with the noise in E Block Lower Barclay yesterday - one guy in particular leading the singing and waving/supplying the flags. Good on yer!

[/quote]

The funny thing is the guy supplying the flags spent half the game criticising the lack of atmosphere himself, He got quite angry about it!! Last half dozen or so games in the Barclay have been poor though.

[quote user="BarclayWazza"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jacks Back"]"Exactly what I have been saying LDC

I do have the misfortune of inheriting a seat in the River End. Although there are a handful of naughty rebels who now stand up when we have a corner! (True madness) It hasn''t gone down well with the stewards[/quote]The thing that I have noticed - and as a casual ticket buyer I sit at different places in the ground - is that the noise levels and perception of what is going on around you is different depending on where you sit/stand.  In the Upper Barclay I find the noise is louder - but less easy to hear individual chants as it all gets mixed up in the general noise and mixture of chanting that goes on.  In the Lower barclay it was easier to hear localised chanting - but difficult to hear what noise was coming from behind in the Upper Barclay.  In the Jarrold it feels the singing feels a little innefective - especially when the away fans are making a lot of noise, but you can at least get a better idea of what noise is happening in the rest of the ground.  The City Stand can be very noisy, especially towards the snake pit end.    I try to avoid the River End after going there one match where there was almost total silence (admittedly a poor match).  I prefer the City Stand overall as the low roof and the good sound properties create a good atmosphere when the match is exciting.  It also allows you to hear the noise from the rest of the ground well, giving the best idea of the level of vocal support from home and away supporters.  Was impressed with the noise in E Block Lower Barclay yesterday - one guy in particular leading the singing and waving/supplying the flags. Good on yer!

[/quote]

The funny thing is the guy supplying the flags spent half the game criticising the lack of atmosphere himself, He got quite angry about it!! Last half dozen or so games in the Barclay have been poor though.[/quote] Yes, he did have a moan - but at least he kept the fans around him going.  You need your cheerleaders to get people going - perhaps we need more like him to get fidderent parts of the ground.  PS - didn''t hear much from the Snake Pit btw..................

The Barclay may think their deafening but in reality you could hear a pin drop. Silence punctuated by the odd ripple of polite applause. Night matches should have the Carra rocking, nowadays it''s like a library. Too much time in the Premier League has killed the atmosphere. That and pandering to media luvvie a like Fry.

I followed this match on TV (Norwegian TV), and the commentator, which happen to be a Norwich fan, also mentioned several times the lack of atmosphere.

I have been to many matches at Carra (for a foreigner at least), usually 6-7-8 per season, and I have also noticed the increasingly lacking atmosphere, also in night games.

Remembering the League One and subsequent Championship season, the atmosphere was much better back then, but admittedly the team also played more adventurous football and were on a roll for 2 successive seasons.

Might have something to do with the very high number of season tickets these days. Without having the numbers, I can imagine a high percentage of the season ticket holders are people in the age of 55++, maybe people in retirement, etc, and you can´t expect them to be very lively during matches...

Against Bolton, on a Friday night, you expect the crowd to be boozed up, but none if it was much heard on the telly....

Now, I know that usually the microphones are put in front of the away supporters on TV matches, but the Barclay is close, so the noise from Barclay should have been heard.

I am "the guy with the flags" and yes i did have a moan, but honestly, when you can hear a pin drop at a football match when you''re 1 or 2-0 up it really is a joke. I''m a firm believer that the team plays better when there is an atmosphere, and the reason the game got cagey and boring was a reflection of what was happening in the stands.People moan and say they need to be entertained before they give support, i''d argue that your support should be unwaivered by performances, we do our job off the pitch, and they''ll do there''s in turn. I don''t turn with the expectancy to win, i turn up to help create an atmosphere and help the lads on the pitch.Also, the main reason for the moan was someone having a pop at me about missing the leeds game (work commitments) after i shouted "Come on, Get behind the F''in team".

Also, if you are a fan who wants to be vocal but cannot in your current surroundings....please, please, please get in contact with the ticket office, there are odd seats dotted around E block which we need likeminded supporters to be snapping up, before more non vocal fans/consumers of this football club further dilute our atmosphere. Season Ticket holders are allowed to move areas, they just need to ask.If we concentrate on getting a core of vocal fans together then we will gradually start to bring an atmosphere back, and in turn, more people will want to be a part of it.We had 40+ of us together at the recent U21s and created a better atmosphere than the majority of the games this season.As for the people being sarcastic, do something constructive, you might not like the flags, that''s your prerogative, but open your mouths and sing along for christ''s sake. Our club is being remembered for plastic clappers, dead atmospheres and fans that truly believe we are the best in the world, thats not something I personally want to have associated with us. To be the best, you have to SUPPORT your team, not buy the clubshop.

[quote user="grefstad"]I followed this match on TV (Norwegian TV), and the commentator, which happen to be a Norwich fan, also mentioned several times the lack of atmosphere.

Against Bolton, on a Friday night, you expect the crowd to be boozed up, but none if it was much heard on the telly....

Now, I know that usually the microphones are put in front of the away supporters on TV matches, but the Barclay is close, so the noise from Barclay should have been heard.[/quote]

Respect to you Sir for travelling all that way so many times a season.

Well lets state the obvious. The people who are complaining are probably the ones sat at home watching the game from the telly. The reason you couldn''t hear the crowd is that sky have dubbed the crowd sound levels to avoid any unsavory chants filtering through live. Pretty simple...

Excluding 15 minutes in the second half when we did make some noise the atmosphere was terrible in the lower barclay.

But it tends to improve with results..and we hadn''t won at home for a while.

But i agree it did seem particularly poor in block C.

Wimbledon, I wish it was dubbed out, but unfortunately, it was just as poor in the ground.If there is such a thing as a dubbing sound man for games, he definitely had his feet up for the night. You could hear a pin drop.

[quote user="Thomo"] If we concentrate on getting a core of vocal fans together then we will gradually start to bring an atmosphere back, and in turn, more people will want to be a part of it. [/quote]

Completely agree Thomo. Most clubs have a corner or smallish area where all the ''loud'' fans are crowded together so they can all sing/wave flags or whatever in unison. We need to turn the E Block into the place to be for vocal fans

The lads I stand with hope to persuade likeminded fans back in to the D-E block areas, the problem is there are many non vocal fans who like to describe themselves as "Barclay E Block" without actually contributing to the atmosphere, and unfortunately there is no way of removing them from the area without drastic changes i.e a standing area, unreserved seats which we are far far away from.You are 100% right though, we need to turn E block back in to our traditional vocal area.

Maybe Thomo when the FA Cup comes round, if we get a home tie we could try to get a little campaign together for all the like-minded vocal fans with flags etc to all sit together in the E Block? Would be nice to try it out

You could contact the club and propose a similar model to the off-used Italian one whereby an appointed fan has access to a mic and tannoy and orchestrates the chants from within the stand.

This is self-policing as any inappropriate use of it results I removal (and possible arrest in extreme cases I suppose).

It works well and increases singing, creativity and atmosphere.

Parma

Jack, That''s exactly what we want to do, whether the club will willingly play ball is another matter.But if we get a home tie, expect to see a Barclay End Projekt campaign. That will also be dependent on ticket prices though. If they want to charge £35 or something for a third round game then we''d be better off not going, and allowing them to see the sterile atmosphere they''ve created.

Parma, Firstly the vocal area needs some organisation.  We need people who want to sing congregated together, then when the time comes, a "capo" to orchestrate people maybe the way forward, but if we just arm someone with a megaphone now we end up with a capo shouting orders that no one responds to. The last thing we''d want is for the club to be overly involved in the orchestrating of the crowd, support should be controlled by the fans. Giving us plastic clappers and other half arsed attempts has only been detrimental to our clubs image and thats something that only we as fans will be able to rectify.

our atmosphere is terrible these days at CR. I have had a season ticket 22 years and we have seriously collated a new breed of fans who fill areas that used to be good for atmosphere - i was expecting a decent night friday and as usual we let ourselves down. within 5 mins of going 1-0 up it was as quiet as a library again.

Well Thomo you have my backing 100% and I''d be more than willing to help or advertise it (if we do get a home tie).

At the end of the day, people like Delia, McNally etc sit in the same ground as us, so they must be aware of the problem too. I''d like to think the club would be supportive

Its great to see that this thread is positive, as i''ve had many other conversations where people just tell me to shut up and that the only problem we have at Carrow Road is the players on the pitch! Its nice to be in the company of people who can also see that we need to sort the problem in the stands out.We want to help create a vibrant, constant and eventually loud support. We already have a few flags, and we have some more on their way (it all costs money though). We just need to get the right people in the right places for this to truly work.Eventually, we hope to have a paypal account or something where people can donate a few quid every so often to help with the cost of materials etcU21s games is a great place for this to happen right now though, the spurs game was great with 40+ of us congregated in one area and we were delighted to see some of the young early teens relocating to join our group in the second half, so they could stand and sing along with us. A young girl aged 5-6 sat in front of us was fascinated by our flags, so at half time we gave one of them to her which she happily waved for the next 45 minutes. That is what inspires the next generation of football fan for this club, not plastic clappers, pop music blaring through the tannoy or half time entertainment.