Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Tetty and O'Neil

They appeared to compliment each other in a way that freed up Tetty to have an immense game last night. O''Neil distrubuted very well and helped drive the team forward. I like Bradley but is this our first choice for now?

I thought that Tettey was fantastic in the first half, but looked tired at the beginning of the second. His energy levels picked up again as the game went on though.

He certainly worked well with O''Neil; the passing looked much crisper all round - Howson''s superb through ball for Jerome being the obvious stand out.

It helped that Bolton didn''t come to park the proverbial bus. Lennon obviously thought he could take us on & get a result..

Aye, good points. Tettey seemed to play with more freedom and bossed the midfield. O''Neil was everywhere last night, but as he proved last night, he doesn''t mind taking the card for the team, so inevitably we will lose him a few times this season.Great potential looking partnership.

Tetty, O''Neil and Howson are a very exciting trio, they are all looking to play the ball with tempo and really compliment each other IMO. The delivery from O''Neil last night was almost felt as a relief compared to some of the dead ball stuff we have seen of late. He brings confidence and that''s exactly what Tetty and Howson feed off. Let''s hope they can stay fit, suspension free and have a good run in the team.

Spot on Jenkins. The corners were deliverd win real pace and we''re always difficult to deal with. It''s been missing so far this year. Tettey was dominant all night. Howson a joy to watch with his industry and eye for an opening. O''Neil made everything look simple and easy. We have a great mix there.

I''ve been saying for ages that we needed to go back to 4231 and use Howson in the hole.  He keeps the play fast , where Hoolahan turns stupid left foot circles and slows it down.As far as I am concerned Hoolahan is toast.And it was obvious from O''Neil''s first 2 minutes on the pitch the other week that technically he is far superior to Johnson.  He is the Fox we need - he can whip in a deadball and pass well.  Alongside Tettey we look far stronger.

Held off posting until now to sleep on the game. This morning i feel that O Neill, Tettey, Howson mid looked very good indeed, i know Bolton were pretty open but we still looked very comfortable for nearly all the game.

Jerome looked excellent, Redders did well, just needs a goal or ten, back four looked ok except for the goal, it could easily have been 4 nil. but i''ll take 2-1 after recent results.

Can relax and enjoy the weekend now as 3 points are in the bag.

We certainly lost something when O''Neill went off, and Alex was winning almost everything.

Lafferty was doing well controlling those high diagonal balls he was getting fed with, a good run in the side will see him score and create some.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I thought that Tettey was fantastic in the first half, but looked tired at the beginning of the second. His energy levels picked up again as the game went on though.

He certainly worked well with O''Neil; the passing looked much crisper all round - Howson''s superb through ball for Jerome being the obvious stand out.

It helped that Bolton didn''t come to park the proverbial bus. Lennon obviously thought he could take us on & get a result..[/quote]It could be because, as we saw, their defense was pretty average at best. If you know that, you try to avoid inviting the opposing team onto them - which is what you do when you sit deep.Their strengths were much more clearly going forward, and I suspect that Lennon wanted them to hold the ball further up the pitch in the areas of his team which were stronger.Sadly for them, they were doomed either way - and the sloppy goal was consolation and a moment where our chaps switched off. The one stain on an otherwise solid night.

Not till last night did it become obvious how ''workmanlike'' Johnson has been.  As said above, the quality of O''Neil''s crossing and corners were what has been missing from our game for much of this season. Too many times we have seen Redmond attempt a cross (an assist ?) and it has been like a drunk at a fairground rifle range - everything bar anything near the target.Last night gave us a glimpse at what Redmond is good at. Running at the opposition, and almost setting up a goal when he harried the Bolton defender in his own box, winning the ball and sliding it across only to see confusion amongst two City players and the ball hit wide. Following from elsewhere Redmond should be left up front wen the opposition have a corner. No way will they leave one man to mark him. Far better he ''ties thenm dowmn there'' than try to help in the boxIf we can play more to each individual player''s strengths i believe we will see the team begin to click. I also suspect that much of this is mostly a case of rial and error, with there being no overall master plan but seeing how well players work together and going from there.Lastly Cameron is a natural finisher. I had wondered if he was just being brought in as a make weight and a back up, but the first goal was again something we had missed previously - someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net on half a chance.Middlesboro and Forest will be a good guide to whether the previous games were a ''blip''. They can be no excuses about other teams simply shutting up shop and making it hard for us to break them down. Both of the above will be needing and expecting a win just as much as we will. And win we must. You don''t win the title or get promoted by constantly being grateful to take a point from a game. Those sort of games need to be few and far between. It is about grinding out wins, week after week.Something a rival (Wolves) failed to do today. Hopefully Derby, Watford and a couple of others will as well.

ref89 wrote:

I''ve been saying for ages that we needed to go back to 4231 and use Howson in the hole. He keeps the play fast , where Hoolahan turns stupid left foot circles and slows it down.

As far as I am concerned Hoolahan is toast.

And it was obvious from O''Neil''s first 2 minutes on the pitch the other week that technically he is far superior to Johnson. He is the Fox we need - he can whip in a deadball and pass well. Alongside Tettey we look far stronger.

.........................................................................................

Hoolahan needs to be back fit and in the team very quickly - before we''re toast !

I like the three of Tettey, O''Neil and Howson as a solid unit but i don''t think we create enough with them. Perhaps when Wes is back he can do a bit of David Silva type left/central attacking mid role and we can drop Lafferty until he can bring more to the table.