Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Gary Megson. . . .

Mike Walker. Bryan Hamilton. Nigel Worthington (blind luck). Peter Grant. Bryan Gunn. Neil Adams. How lucky we are to have such ambitious owners. Nigh on 20 years of casting the net far and wide (even meticulously scouring Europe!) to bring us the best in managerial talent. God bless them.

The Marketing manager and a radio commentator have been given a go...
bloke in the ticket office is polishing up his CV now!

And, of course, Smith and Jones are the consistant factor in these decisions OP.It makes you wonder what their priorities are when selecting a manager. It would seem that being a nice choice and a ''City man through and through'' top the list and, unless pushed, always have a tendancy to wish to appoint who they see as the safe option.Adams could turn out to be the bigget disaster of them all (Well Gunn did sign Grant Holt and opened the door for Lambert, after all) because of the circumstances and with ominous signs that a marvellous opportunity is to be squandered.

Their priorities have always been get in a manager as cheap as possible. Promote from within or free agents. The ONE time in their entire reign they bothered to buck the trend was when they poached Lambert, it was messy but look how it turned out. Seems it was all too much hassle for them though, so back to letting the fans down with cheap, safe, insular appointments is where we are. And to add insult to injury they have the audacity to lie to the fans about scouring Europe for a manager''!. One thing we can rest assured of, along as the current owners are in charge we will never see a European manager in charge of Norwich City FC. We''re lucky if we get a manager who is based outside of Norfolk. It''s all so depressing misguided, cringeworthy, and tinpot. And it has been for the vast majority of their time in charge.

And Watling appointed Walker2. Every time there''s disappointment people jump to blame their personal scapegoats.But that sshouldn''t involve rewriting history.

The 6 managers before Smith and Jones were all the cheapest ofcheap options. Sir Arthur appointed Ken Brown then Chase appointed stringer, walker, deehan and megson before Watling appointed Walked2. Where''s the ambition....

The board will act if it all goes wrong but don''t be surprised if they then appoint Gary Holt because that''s what happens here.

Let''s hope Adams proves to be more Stringer than Megson.

[quote user="nutty nigel"] The board will act if it all goes wrong but don''t be surprised if they then appoint Gary Holt because that''s what happens here. [/quote]

Oh so true Nutty oh so true.[:''(]

Oh, I forgot O''Neil! So he was Chases Lambert! However after him we had another dose of Megson.

The same as it ever was.....

Re-writing history?Not me NN,  blame Wiki:"English television cook Delia Smith and her husband Michael Wynn-Jones took over the majority of Norwich City''s shares from Watling in 1996,[59] and Mike Walker was re-appointed as the club''s manager."I always thought that When Watling replaced Chase he put Megson in charge until the ending of that season. By the start of the next season we had Delia and Walker (2) in place. Did S & WJ have no say in this appointment then?Irrelevant though as the point is made and, as you say, internal appointments have been a prominent characteristic of Norwich City''s recent history with mixed fortunes, although mostly negative since the Smith-Jones takeover.

Well Wiki and you are wrong then. Watling didn''t sell to Delia and MWJ until Dec 1997. They were minor shareholders for 18 months before that in return for .5m each. The 1st manager appointed after Watling sold to them was Bruce Rioch.

Smith & Jones made a smaller % of internal appointments than Chase. He only appointed O''Neil and even he had been a player here. His one real outsider would have been Phil Neal if he''d had his way.

Sadly, Gary Megson and Nigel Worthington would probably make a better job of things than Neil Adams is right now.......I know that hurts, but it''s true surely!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Smith & Jones made a smaller % of internal appointments than Chase. He only appointed O''Neil and even he had been a player here. His one real outsider would have been Phil Neal if he''d had his way.[/quote]Quite. I like facts. I prefer them to myths. The facts are these:South appointed Bond (external) and Brown (internal).Chase appointed, Stringer, Walker Mark I, Deehan, Megson, O''Neill and Megson again. Everyone was either internal or had a strong  connection to the club.Watling appointed Walker Mark II.Smith and Jones have appointed Rioch, Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert, Hughton and Adams. Of those some were internal or had a connection to the club, but Rioch, Roeder, Lambert and Hughton were external choices with no connection to the club. In other words, the owners/chairmen with by far and away the best record of making bold external appointments are Smith and Jones.

Spot on Purple. I suppose I''ll get told it''s irrelevant again but to me this thread was just lazy posting born out of prejudice. In my time supporting, from ''67 onwards, we only made 6 fully external appointments of which, as you say, 4 were made in the Smith & Jones era.

Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Gunn and Adams, with only Worthy bringing much success (thus far), is hardly a distinguished list of appointments, irrespective of what went on before.No prejudice involved as the balance from this quarter is in favour of the current Board, but  negative comparisons of NA''s appointment with that of Bryan Gunn, at the very least, cannot be resisted. 

Chase made zero external appointments so you just distort the facts to suit your prejudice. .maybe you wrote the wikki entry Broady? ;)

No prejudice NN, not possible. I  love Delia too much. What facts in any case? S & J were the common factor in all those appointments (and you rightly corrected my assertion re: Walker Mk2) and that was the only fact I stated, without any thought of Chase and his record on the matter.As it has evolved in this thread, NCFC have a history internal appointments of some sort ever since the time of John Bond it would seem. Fair enough and Delia has therefore done quite a good job of  perpetuating this, probably with less success though. How do you contribute to Wiki? Might be fun.

Got no idea broadly. I don''ttruck with it for reference ppurposes because nothing is verified. I think you just go on and put what you like. TBH I was amazed you used it to try and make a point, you may as WLquote from a random poster on here :)

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]No prejudice NN, not possible. I  love Delia too much. What facts in any case? S & J were the common factor in all those appointments (and you rightly corrected my assertion re: Walker Mk2) and that was the only fact I stated, without any thought of Chase and his record on the matter.As it has evolved in this thread, NCFC have a history internal appointments of some sort ever since the time of John Bond it would seem. Fair enough and Delia has therefore done quite a good job of  perpetuating this, probably with less success though. How do you contribute to Wiki? Might be fun. [/quote]Not exactly. South only made two appointments- one internal and one external, so a percentage there isn''t worth much. But compared with Chase, as my statistics show,  Smith and Jones have much more bucked this supposed trend of internal/linked appointments than did he did.And bear in mind that according to reputable sources Mackay was the board''s first choice or at least first among equals and was probably at least informally offered the job. It was only after Mackay went out of the running (for whatever reason) that Adams moved up the pecking order. True, Mackay had strong links with the club, but he still would have been another external choice.