Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

Loans, Loss of form and the Midfield

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on us dipping into the loan market?  We have used this to varying degrees of success over the years. Seems like an area we have not utilised as other championship clubs have. Obviously the right players would need to be available. 

Also it’s a bit annoying seeing Bennett and Bassong out on loan when we have a lack of wingers and most people seemingly agreeing that Martin should not play centre back, and Whittaker should not be in the starting line up. I’m not saying either of these players would change our fortunes but it feels like the starting line up needs a shake up for the next game.

We have three centre backs and a left back that have barely, if at all been used this season.  Surely its time to give one or two of them a go?  If we persist with Martin at CB why not give Cuellar a chance at right back?  Garrido has never let us down and whilst he lacks pace he can deliver and a decent cross. 

The one shinning light in midfield is Redmond, he’s kicked on this season and offers a real threat.  Obviously the same criticism of poor shooting and delivery can be aimed at him, but he’s giving it a go.  Tettey, Howson and Johnson, all players I like and all have had moments this season.  But we have had these three as the core of our midfield for a couple of years and sill have the same problem, a lack of creativity.  O’Neil looks steady and can spped the passing up.

As for the strikers, Grabban has an awful first touch; he works hard and scored a lot in the opening weeks.  Seems an air of good fortune around his goals. But he was getting the chances, albeit he needs a few before he scores one.  Jerome has looked good to me and is a real leader but doesn’t seem to be able to form a partnership with Grabban.

Lafferty needs to be on the bench in my opinion, he’s not quiet a winger and the Jerome and Grabban are ahead of him in the striking positions.  Plus he’s a liability waiting to happen. As for Hooper im starting to think its never going o happen for him in a Norwich shirt.

Interested to see what you guys think we need to do and who you would give a go against forest?  

We need a left winger in my eyes. Lafferty isnt one of them and i cant help feel that Murphy isnt quite ready and best suited as an impact sub. We need a shake up and changes vs Forest.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Miquel Garrido

Redmond Tettey Howson Olsson

Jerome Hooper

I would drop Whittaker he is lacking form and confidence, i would put Martin back in his normal postion and bring anyone of the 3 central defenders we have in the squad.Grabban is very avarage and would only make the bench, i would try hooper with Jerome and see how that works.I agree with you Lafferty is a liabilty but i do like is workrate and commitment. We have a very good midfield at this level and should dominate that area of the field , but our build up play is so slow and predictable .And finally Adams will not be the man to move us on didnt want him from the start but he is in charge now so lets hope im wrong.

I''m astonished we have not brought any loans in so far.Injuries to Wes and VOO have left as short of creativity ( not thta VOO showed much anyway).Ince would have been a good signing and i wouldn''t mind us trying for Taraabt at QPR for a short term loan.

There are several common themes of the last 10 games the positives of which have been a midfield that has generally dominated and created chances.   Changes to the midfield would simply be wrong based on this;   yesterday was the worst performance where Karanka saw teh naivety in our attacking play and exploited how far forward our rb is pushed on by the manager;  the other was the weds game where the manager chose a wtf selection.   Stick to the 2-3 model - it has worked best for us in most games. A change in tempo of ball from back to front yes.     I would agree with the suggestion of a left mid option beyond lafferty;  something I raised 3 weeks ago. 

The negatives are the strikers missing chances,  very few goals from other areas of the pitch and consistent conceeding of soft goals through defensive errors.

Up front it hard to argue with Jeromes form of 8 goals from 10 starts or that hooper or any loanee would have score more.   Try Hooper by all means,  but he has not shone yet.    As for the rest of the team we have  to get more goals from midfield especially,  but while we are creating so many chances (Tues aside) it hard to justify a change.  

That leaves the back 4.   While they have been touted as the third most secure defence that is as a result of the front 6 players - possession and deep sitting opponents mean they face rare threats.   However when they have been attacked the lack of structure discipline and disarray is alarming - backing off,  incorrectly positioned, reckless passes, tackles and headers have repeatedly been punished disproportionately to pressure they have faced.    Yesterday highlight that we have 4 defenders playing as individuals rather than a back 4 unit.   Is easy to single out the russ/whit partnership,  but the first goal was a calamity for all 4 players.

I am not convinced that changing personnel will improve things (although the haunting stat that we have only lost with whit at rb,  and gain 50% fewer points is persuasive) as its the tactics of getting full backs forward at all costs that is hurting us.   This weeks coaching has to focus on improving that back four team.  The goals they have let in through lack of focus have cost us points.

We need a settled back 4 unit with players who are performing - for me that means whittaker and olsson need a rest and either a recall for the unbeaten Hooiveld or a test of Iggy.   Remaining unchanged is no longer tenable - yesterdays shambles has been coming for weeks. 

We remain just 4 points off top and the current coaching staff can get this right and still secure auto promotion,  no matter what the overareaction on here is;    however that cant happen without recognition change is needed.     The same defence on sat would feel like stubbornness,  to me anyway.  

A short term loan in the centre of midfield certainly wouldn''t be a bad idea. We don''t really have anyone with a je ne sais quoi capable of playing centrally. Maybe Redderz could play there, but we''re also short of wingers...

If I was Neil Adams, the first change I would make is to push Olsson further forward into left mid/wing and bring Garrido into the team at left back. Olsson plays in that position for the Swedish national team and enjoys getting forward.

Lafferty would drop to the bench, Redmond on the right.

My starting eleven would be.

Ruddy

Martin Hoiveld Turner Garrido

Tettey Oneil

Redmond Hooper Olsson

Jerome