Sign in to follow this  
Cheap Cheap Cheap Canaries

Throwing Promotion Away With Neilio

Some sober reflection after a night''s sleep would indeed be wise.

Ricardo you are not usually wide of the mark, and it says it all that you can even see an end to NA''s tenure relatively soon, and Xmas is relatively soon.

For me Saturday''s game is now massive. Another poor performance and the manager''s position is likely to be on the horizon for the board. Particularly with the international break providing a bit oif time to work with. Xmas/New Year is a busy period - not a great time to be having a managerial shake up.

Unfortunately, the season is indeed taking an entirely predictable pattern. It was never likely that an inexperienced manager would take us to promotion. So, we will likely go through the process of change, probably miss out on promotion and as a result of the tapering of the parachute payments, suffer the unwinding of a squad making the following season''s task all the more difficult. With Warnock or Lennon - both available at the time - we would likely have been top two all season. And that''s why experience costs.

The decision to give Adams a three year contract now looks extremely foolish. Unless there are get-out clauses then it looks like more money p!$$ed up the wall.

I really don''t want to write NA off but I don''t think he/we can have many more slip ups.

There are maybe parts of the team that could be strengthened but you''ll be able to say that about any side in this league. However, not many clubs have got a squad as big and strong as ours.

We didn''t have (or chose not) to do major surgery on the squad after relegation. NA has been given decent money to bring in some of his own players.

At the moment he''s not really making any of it count, or at least not as much as he should be.

Adams has been manager for 7 months now, had a whole pre-season and spent money in the transfer window. Yet the football hasn''t really improved. We''re not even attempting to play the classic Norwich passing game, just a rehash of the sort of stuff we had under Rioch, Worthington and Lambert.In short, we''re going absolutely nowhere.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Unfortunately, the season is indeed taking an entirely predictable pattern. It was never likely that an inexperienced manager would take us to promotion. So, we will likely go through the process of change, probably miss out on promotion and as a result of the tapering of the parachute payments, suffer the unwinding of a squad making the following season''s task all the more difficult. With Warnock or Lennon - both available at the time - we would likely have been top two all season. And that''s why experience costs.[/quote]What are you on about ?The parachute payment stays the same for the first two years after relegation from the Premier League.

I''m somewhere between Drazen and Ricardo on this, and am really hoping NA, who wasnt my choice, will turn this round as I am a huge fan of stability. BUT, we must not throw this golden opportunity to bounce back away, and NO team in this league should tonk us like that!

I''m somewhere between Drazen and Ricardo on this, and am really hoping NA, who wasnt my choice, will turn this round as I am a huge fan of stability. BUT, we must not throw this golden opportunity to bounce back away, and NO team in this league should tonk us like that!

I got the impression when Adams was appointed that if there had been a poll amongst the support that there would have been a fairly large majority against the ludicrous decision. Myself very much included.Not only was he hugely inexperienced in management but his short and unexpected stab at it had been bordering on the disastrous and culminated in his inexplicable decision not to at least go for it it in the Chelsea game.Very poor team selection for the first game at Molyneax, with a midfield clearly too short of tackle and strength and picked up pre-match by most on here  and confirmed by the fact that Surman has since gone and Bennett has been loaned out instantly, confirmed our doubts.As things took a turn for the better this season I/we were beginning to be rather pleased that we had got it wrong, We hadn''t.Now this poor (very) run which goes on and on sees him all over the place and apparently clueless as to how to get the best, or at least, the expected out of his talented squad. As things stand at the moment he has squandered a good proportion of the cash we had by his transfer dealings. The ''star'' man sits on the bench, three expensive centre backs are never used, Lafferty is not employed as to produce his best and  only Jerome has really come off as the forwards now struggle for goals, whilst the defence has an edgy feel to it, confirmed by last night and probably by Ruddy''s unconvincing displays this season.It is now clear to many of us that we could be on the cusp of squandering the advantages we had over most, if not all, of the other sides in this division and frustration has clearly made way for anger. Against all odds it now seems pretty clear that this season could now go ape-shite and that Neil Adams is not up to it.The Board won''t act yet, sacking nice men is not their forte, but, as with last season, the more they faff around the bigger will become the problem.A dismal display or result at Forest should herald a swift change, IMO, but it won''t.If a poll were to be held today I surmise that an even bigger majority would be against having Adams in the hot-seat.Sebastien Bassong was right.

I wouldn''t be surprised if there was a clause in adam''s contract that if we are out of the play offs he can be dismissed with a much lower payment. McNally is no idiot and Adams would''ve been so desperate for the job he would''ve accepted it, might also account for some of the delay in sorting out his appointment

I don''t honestly think our squad is as strong as some would like to make out. Midfield and defence look very one-paced and mediocre at times. We lack flair, inspiration and once-again leadership on the pitch.The players don''t go onto the pitch looking like they believe they can get a result.

True, but doesn''t that stem from the top?Adams doesn''t seem very inspirational to me.You also have to factor in strange decisions such as the Wolves line-up, the over-use of Wes and the tardy use of O''Neil, and the inexplicable use of our central defensive strengths (and if not strengths then poor buys in the first place.)Of course it was never going to be a romp but this team should easily be in the top six throughout.Like a safe Tory seat, whereby a donkey with a  blue rosette would be elected, the Norwich City situation has the right to assume that any manager could achieve that minimum standard surely?

I have said it time and time again.A pleasant articulate individual way out of his depth managing at this level. We need to act and quickly getting in a competent experienced manager who should do well with an excellent squad which is totally lacking direction

Broadstairs covers most of the bases for me, I really can''t argue with any of it.

Reading through other posts there is a near religious like fervour when it comes to criticising both the football management and indeed the clubs governance. For some it is akin to an act of heresy and the mere utterance of so much as a single word of objection is considered blasphemous and as such not a proper supporter.

So to the Flat Earth Society the continued support of a bloke who did well in the Accademy is some sort of daily incantation

"He will succeed, support the manager, support the team, he will succeed, support the manager, support the team"

But if you put down the Green n'' Yellow Roasary and look objectively at the facts you can almost certainly only come to one conclusion, it is not a question of if he fails only when.

Despite the occasional naysayer we have a squad of players that should be the envy of every other club in the league, he has been backed like no other manager before relative to the league we are in. The rights tools are at his disposal.

There have been too many performances that suggest we will not mount a meaningful promotion challenge this season, yes there have been some good ones and so there should be but there have also been some awful ones. Wolves, last night, Charlton at home, Fulham and of course there are teams who are looking far more than the sum of their parts.

The sum of their parts, think about this when you jump to the managements defence as we are anything but. Players that we haven''t seen in months and have forgotten about entirely, a multi million pound bunch of bench warmers, it''s all so painfully profligate for a club that reestablished itself the hard way from League 1.

Tactically is where I really lose faith (excuse the pun) but I do not want to see any Norwich team hitting high balls to Kyle Lafferty playing out wide left, not ever. Honest to goodness I could have got up and left on Friday, I hate that sort of football, players out of position with tactics out of the Ladybird Book of Football. Awful, just awful.

If you chose to look up and see what is before you there is a wealth of evidence to suggest the Earth isn''t flat its round, yes we were top of the league but we certainly aren''t now and are highly unlikely to be so again anytime soon.

Let the scales fall from your eyes, the Board didn''t scour Europe, the obvious candidate wasn''t under their noses as none of this is from the mindset that saved the club, it drove down the M4 sacked Brian Gunn and brutally poached the right man for the job.

More of the same please.

Whilst the result yesterday was completely unacceptable - I don''t think you can pin a 4-0 loss on the manager.

Players have to take a lot of responsibility for believing their ability or previous successes will be enough for them to get through and win games without putting in the hard graft.

People will hate me for saying it probably but I don''t think we''d have lost by 4 goals if Bradley Johnson was playing. Just my opinion.

Team selection was wrong and NA needs to accept that - I don''t think too many would complain at the formation chosen and regardless of getting the team wrong we shouldn''t be losing 4-0 anyway.

Agree Bury Green it is increasingly looking like when he fails not if. The worry is that the when could still be quite a drawn out process.

Hey, bury green.

Are you called bury green because you buried your green and yellow shirt in the garden the day you bought a blue and white one.

Binner.

Hogesar it may be worth reverting to Johnson and Tettey for a while. Yes our attacking game suffers a bit but it is interesting how results have declined since Howson came back into the team.

Perhaps the way to go us 4-3-3 with Johnson, Tettey and O''Neill giving us real strength and then the front 3 given freed from too many defensive duties.

[quote user="hogesar"]Whilst the result yesterday was completely unacceptable - I don''t think you can pin a 4-0 loss on the manager.

Players have to take a lot of responsibility for believing their ability or previous successes will be enough for them to get through and win games without putting in the hard graft.

People will hate me for saying it probably but I don''t think we''d have lost by 4 goals if Bradley Johnson was playing. Just my opinion.

Team selection was wrong and NA needs to accept that - I don''t think too many would complain at the formation chosen and regardless of getting the team wrong we shouldn''t be losing 4-0 anyway.[/quote]Buck stops with the manager. If he cannot pick the best team and give the players confidence to win games, then we need a manager who can.

No Buh, it''s because I can construct an argument infinitely better than you can both in this life and the next. If you wish to engage me in a duel you''ll need a whole lot more ammunition than that.

Pathetic attempt.

You seem pretty mad "bury your inflatable canary in the back yard" canary.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]"We are on a poor run and still only four points off top." < THIS[/quote]We heard similar last season when we were ''safely'' 4 points or whatever above the relegation zone, or the comforting twaddle about there easily being three worse teams than ourselves. This season these excuses have been converted to their promotion equivalents.The acid test is the quality of the football. In general it''s been poor, no better than Hoofton''s rubbish and miles away from the attractive passing football Adams promised us. If we were trying to be brave and play the classic Norwich way then I''d be arguing for the manager to be given time to develop the team. Instead we''re endlessly hoofing the ball and going absolutely nowhere.