Sign in to follow this  
smooth

It is not just the next to game where a change is needed/ Steve clarke

Well I listened to the game last night and to be honest drury was right the result flattered US.

We don''t need to go into it again, but our defence needs serious work done and if our style means we are more open then we have to take our time more. We cannot give up goals early and have throughout the season. Some games we recovered, Birmingham at home, Cardiff away. But we need to work out to play with more patience and with more control of a team that believes it is a team for automatic promotion.

At the moment a number of our players are showing the level they really are, it comes as no surprised to me as they were not replaced or improved during there time in the premiership. I would have taken naughton in a heart beat when we were up as an improvement on Russell Martin, that position has not been improved since we were promoted.

Turner and Olsson can do a job in this league and the nor em, but we need a new right back, two centre halts to come in that are better than what we have if we go up or even a player or two in January.

This brings me to my first point, many fans on here are saying we want an improvement in the next game. That is very shortsighted, it is an improvement over the next 5-10 games. If not then we have not moved on and that will be a worry for our promotion push, as with our owners limited capital we will be in this division for a long time if we do not achieve promotion this year.

So adams needs to sort us out defensively, get a run together quickly or I expect that the board will have to seriously look at his position before Xmas. We all agree the shambles his appointment was saying they scoured Europe. I was numbed by his appointment. Pleased to say he managed to get things going but we got four points from the two games I mentioned earlier when we should not have. Blackpool away had fortunate goals as did Blackburn at home. We have players that can hurt teams but at the mo they are showing there level, we need to step it up.

Some say hoops is the key well I disagree we have players here who can do it without him and we need to show that.

My second point is that we are right to keep our eye on managers that we can move for from current positions, it is the most appointment you make and when prem managers have been pinched for 6 million it is a cheap appointment in the grand scheme of things.

For me Steve Clarke is a fine example of a man who can bring the best out of players and has very high respect with players so could bring in genuine quality.

What he did at west brom, a similar club to ourselves, was superb. Working at Liverpool and at Chelsea for so long has given him a superb education he could develop the older players and bring in good players with his pedigree.

I truly feel he is the perfect fit for our club and if we are under 35 points at xmas then we do need to look at the appointment. One because if we do go up do we trust adams in the premier league. I for one would trust Steve Clarke much more.

Yes 35 points at xmas is on track for a lower playoff position, but surely we have seen enough this season to see the mixed bag and plucky performances to show that we are getting over the line but with little conviction.

So it is a critical part and always was going to be for adams, he fortunately got an early run, easing early pressure but it hasn''t maintained and he needs a string of results now and before Xmas and plans to bring in players in January for that next push. He needs to resolve the defensive shambles to bring calm to the team.

If he does not then he is in a tough position, the board made a unique appointment with all the support structure around him. Again many fans were numbed by this and felt it was not what was needed, the board will be aware they acted to late last year and that they cannot afford to do that again. It is a critical time for the club for this season, next and beyond.

The results over the next month and a half are now critical, get them and we are on a short term high (again if we go up I have seen enough this season to show adams is not a prem manager). If we do not changes may be needed and I think Steve Clarke would be perfect.

I agree we need to reverse the current slump and get form going over a run of games.

However deja vu is setting in. Are we in a "beating West Ham could get us relegated situation" - i.e. Beating Forest could cost us promotion. Not that I would ever want us to lose!

We need a run of consistently good results which see us climbing the table again, and not treading water results that make it hard to justify replacing NA.

[quote user="smooth"]Well I listened to the game last night and to be honest drury was right the result flattered US.

We don''t need to go into it again, but our defence needs serious work done and if our style means we are more open then we have to take our time more. We cannot give up goals early and have throughout the season. Some games we recovered, Birmingham at home, Cardiff away. But we need to work out to play with more patience and with more control of a team that believes it is a team for automatic promotion.

At the moment a number of our players are showing the level they really are, it comes as no surprised to me as they were not replaced or improved during there time in the premiership. I would have taken naughton in a heart beat when we were up as an improvement on Russell Martin, that position has not been improved since we were promoted.

Turner and Olsson can do a job in this league and the nor em, but we need a new right back, two centre halts to come in that are better than what we have if we go up or even a player or two in January.

This brings me to my first point, many fans on here are saying we want an improvement in the next game. That is very shortsighted, it is an improvement over the next 5-10 games. If not then we have not moved on and that will be a worry for our promotion push, as with our owners limited capital we will be in this division for a long time if we do not achieve promotion this year.

So adams needs to sort us out defensively, get a run together quickly or I expect that the board will have to seriously look at his position before Xmas. We all agree the shambles his appointment was saying they scoured Europe. I was numbed by his appointment. Pleased to say he managed to get things going but we got four points from the two games I mentioned earlier when we should not have. Blackpool away had fortunate goals as did Blackburn at home. We have players that can hurt teams but at the mo they are showing there level, we need to step it up.

Some say hoops is the key well I disagree we have players here who can do it without him and we need to show that.

My second point is that we are right to keep our eye on managers that we can move for from current positions, it is the most appointment you make and when prem managers have been pinched for 6 million it is a cheap appointment in the grand scheme of things.

For me Steve Clarke is a fine example of a man who can bring the best out of players and has very high respect with players so could bring in genuine quality.

What he did at west brom, a similar club to ourselves, was superb.
Working at Liverpool and at Chelsea for so long has given him a superb education he could develop the older players and bring in good players with his pedigree.

I truly feel he is the perfect fit for our club and if we are under 35 points at xmas then we do need to look at the appointment. One because if we do go up do we trust adams in the premier league. I for one would trust Steve Clarke much more.

Yes 35 points at xmas is on track for a lower playoff position, but surely we have seen enough this season to see the mixed bag and plucky performances to show that we are getting over the line but with little conviction.

So it is a critical part and always was going to be for adams, he fortunately got an early run, easing early pressure but it hasn''t maintained and he needs a string of results now and before Xmas and plans to bring in players in January for that next push. He needs to resolve the defensive shambles to bring calm to the team.

If he does not then he is in a tough position, the board made a unique appointment with all the support structure around him. Again many fans were numbed by this and felt it was not what was needed, the board will be aware they acted to late last year and that they cannot afford to do that again. It is a critical time for the club for this season, next and beyond.

The results over the next month and a half are now critical, get them and we are on a short term high (again if we go up I have seen enough this season to show adams is not a prem manager). If we do not changes may be needed and I think Steve Clarke would be perfect.[/quote]There is a strong argument that the success Clarke had in his first season at West Brom was at least in part on the back of Roy Hodgson''s work and that once that had worn off he was much less effective.

Clarke also had the very clear advantage of being able to exploit his Chelsea links soon after leaving Chelsea.

He got Lukaku in on a season''s loan, and that player was to a large extent responsible for Clarke''s fine first season.

That''s not really something that Clarke could repeat.

I think in order to get out of this league those connections are just what are needed.

I do think his reputation from players in the chelsea camp and Liverpool camp were very complimentary.

He did develop young wingers Jerome thomas at WBA so he can do that too.

Just think he is a name that should be in the hat. That is if the hat comes to play in the near future.

I think for me it is that awkward question that if we do go up and that is what we want, then can adams keep us up?

I am not sure he can. So it is a very tough situation and hence why his appointment was met with such numbness and lack of enthusiasm.

If we were to sack Adams (not that we should at this early stage and only 4 points off top spot) it has to be for someone better than steve clarke, by a long way.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]If we were to sack Adams (not that we should at this early stage and only 4 points off top spot) it has to be for someone better than steve clarke, by a long way.[/quote]

Who might that be in your opinion Miggins ? I have no idea personally .

without knowing who is available it''s very hard to say. For example there was a suggestion of Eddie Howe, now if we wanted to get him in then the question would be would he come here? If he has a ruthless ambition then the answer is yes as he''s more likely to get to the prem with us than he is with Bournemouth (cries from six pack and cheap saying ''but they''re first,'' without considering they have a smaller squad with less quality), however if he''s more loyal and waiting for a much bigger offer then obviously he won''t. We''ll have to see how adams get''s on, what he''s doing and our form now could happen to any manager, how we''ll know if he''s got what it will take will depend on this month and the next.

I think the mess we''re in goes way beyond the manager. Lambert was exceptional and seemed to be able to drag the club upwards by sheer force of personality, but the signs of trouble re-emerged very quickly once he was sacked. I don''t think a twenty year decline is going to be reversed just by handing Adams his P45, the problems are a lot more widespread than the manager.

I understand the frustration at the moment but what has NA actually done wrong so far?

It seems to me that most managers struggle when the opposition concede possession.