Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Match thread v Forest

Today''s team; team v : Ruddy; Martin (c), Cuellar, Turner, Olsson; O''Neil, Tettey, Johnson; Howson; Grabban, Jerome.

subs v : Rudd (GK), Whittaker, Lafferty, Hooper, Hooiveld, Josh Murphy, Redmond.

Change in defence. Back to two up front?!

A draw would be a good result i think. Both teams being nervous/out of form and all that.

no real width, we are basically playing with 4 central midfielders, 3 of which are nothing but ball winnersall a bit negative, looks like we are setting up to play for a drawbut my biggest concern is old man cueller and turner getting beasted by assombalonga, olsson the only one with any pace in the back 4

Looks like two banks of four and two strikers.  Seems a bit odd to me. Don''t mind the two banks of four, but away from home a 4411 would be better with the pace of Redmond behind a striker.  The front two could be a bit isolated.

Another WTF selection - for all his frustrating traits we have already seen time and again this season that without redmond we carry very little threat.

Fingers crossed for a win dirty game.

The fact that you seem to be saying that O''Neill is nothing but a ball winner shows you have no brain to give an opinion.[quote user="iron_stan"]no real width, we are basically playing with 4 central midfielders, 3 of which are nothing but ball winnersall a bit negative, looks like we are setting up to play for a drawbut my biggest concern is old man cueller and turner getting beasted by assombalonga, olsson the only one with any pace in the back 4

[/quote]

Nothing like giving things a chance is there? Some seem to have already decided the result 30 minutes before a ball''s been kicked. For me, I have no problem at all with what looks a more ''solid'' selection, Redmond and Murphy on the bench to add more width/attacking intent if required.

I reckon it will be a 4-2-3-1 with Johnson and Tettey holding, Grabban, Howson and O''Neil across the middle and Jerome up front.

My first instinct told me it was a diamond with Johnson at the base, O''Neil and Tettey in the middle and Howson furthest forward.

Disagree about O''Neil being just a ball winner. He puts himself about yes, but in recent weeks he has looked one of our best passers of the ball too.

if forest play with two wide men and their full backs push on our full backs will be two on one as we have no wide men to track back with their full backs a dangerous game to play !!! of course we will be strong down the middle of midfield but weak down the flanks

[quote user="norfolkngood"]if forest play with two wide men and their full backs push on our full backs will be two on one as we have no wide men to track back with their full backs a dangerous game to play !!! of course we will be strong down the middle of midfield but weak down the flanks[/quote]

This all depends on Howson and O''Neill.  Imo the only way this line up can work is in a flat four, not 4231.  They have to stay in position on the right and left (Hughton style [;)] )  to make sure Forest don''t have any joy on the flanks.  There is no other way as  Grabban will not be tracking back enough to help defence.  It looks as if its going to be a back to the walls job.  If we play an open game with that line up, we risk being slaughtered imo.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Nothing like giving things a chance is there? Some seem to have already decided the result 30 minutes before a ball''s been kicked. For me, I have no problem at all with what looks a more ''solid'' selection, Redmond and Murphy on the bench to add more width/attacking intent if required.[/quote]I sort of agree, Branston, but on the face of it that line-up doesn''t inspire confidence, which ever way it plays. If it two up front and Howson behind (ie the Hoolahan spot) then that formation has been tried and found wanting, by being overrun in midfield.If it is two up front and those four across midfield, then there is no width or pace. If Grabban is playing in midfield, then it is a square peg in a round whatsit. And if it is some kind of diamond then there is no width, and the full-backs are going to be busy.But that is just an idiot amateur assessment. We shall see. Adams may have spotted something in the way Forest play (supposedly Pearce is tactically a bit of a Neanderthal) that validates that line-up.

I agree lake it has to be man for man personal battles any space we have not got the pace to cover or get back if we had the pace we could play narrow with pace speed to get to wings quickly to cut out their raiding full backs this team hasn''t got that option !!!

Solid formation designed not to concede i would reckon.It relies on Grabban and Jerome to finish whatever chance they make get.

I''m firmly in the "I''d like to reserve my judgement" camp but can see this working. I imagine it is the diamond with fullbacks getting forwards and delivering the crosses. Obvious danger is counter attack vs us with pace but I don''t see that it can''t work.

Good afternoon everyone. I don''t see enough of the side these days to give a strong opinion but I know we need to avoid two defeats on the spin and the onus is on Forest to attack.

Will settle for a clean sheet at half time (always good for us) and then press on.

1touch wrote the following post at 08/11/2014 3:18 PM:

Poor start by Norwich, Forest looking the better side so far.

Your not singing anymore