Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Is anyone available-does it matter

I keep reading get rid of Adams (he was appointed because he knew the club, unfortunately he doesn''t know much about football!) and I have to say I completely agree.But people are saying who else is available? Why is that a problem? In Mcnally''s early days here, the Board showed real intent, sacked Gunny after a game and headhunted Lambert, and got him. Why is now any different?Get rid of Adams, and get an experienced manager with winning mentality (Pulis or Lennon) or an upandcomining one who will see the potential that NCFC has (like Howe). We don''t have to go with those "out of a job"Shame NCFC Board got it so wrong last season by leaving it too late, and then again getting it wrong by going with Adams (nice as he is, but then so was Gunny!)

Not that the board have the balls to get rid of Adams, but if by some miracle they do I would like to see Robinson at MK Dons given a go!!.

Totally disagree with that. Rioch and Hughton were decent appointments that didn''t work out. The current owner''s record with managers is no worse than most clubs and no worse than our clubs record under their predecessor.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Totally disagree with that. Rioch and Hughton were decent appointments that didn''t work out. The current owner''s record with managers is no worse than most clubs and no worse than our clubs record under their predecessor.[/quote]

Agree with that Nutty, but with their now vast experience and touted football knowledge, should they not now be selecting better.

It''s the spin that went with this appointment as much as anything else.

Scoured Europe, no one better that CH at Christmas etc etc.

Most wanted Adams to do well (me included) still hoped he would , but how long can you wait IF our plan is promotion this season.

Chase got lucky with Walker, they got lucky with Lambert.

Worthington forced their hand, apart from that, not a good record since late 80''s by anyone.

The biggest proble. is we EXPECT better than we get.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Totally disagree with that. Rioch and Hughton were decent appointments that didn''t work out. The current owner''s record with managers is no worse than most clubs and no worse than our clubs record under their predecessor.[/quote]

Agree with that Nutty, but with their now vast experience and touted football knowledge, should they not now be selecting better.

Most wanted Adams to do well (me included) still hoped he would , but how long can you wait IF our plan is promotion this season.

Worthington forced their hand, apart from that, not a good record since late 80''s by anyone.

[/quote]I think too much is made of the spin. Yes it was over the top, and naive, but in any line of business an incoming chief executive is publicly lauded as brilliant and the best person for the job. Companies are hardly likely to say anything less.

Why should they do better? What''sthe formula for success appointing managers? Why can no clubs do better? Why can''t England do better? If you spend your whole life expecting something that''s not going to happen you will die a disappointed man..

Agree Rioch should have been an outstanding appointment, but Hughton only had about two years managerial experienced when he joined us.

Butler has it for me we deserve and expected more, it was a gamble which hasn''t worked in the past with Grant, Gunn so why did they not learn?

Is it that other managers demanded more? Or is it that Adams is such a nice City man that they felt loyal to give him a go? Whatever the reason it hasn''t worked to now and its unfair on Adams that he''s getting the brunt of the criticism.

it should be aimed at the board.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]I think too much is made of the spin. Yes it was over the top, and naive, but in any line of business an incoming chief executive is publicly lauded as brilliant and the best person for the job. Companies are hardly likely to say anything less.[/quote]

Purple most businesses would never put a novice in charge of such a key position......even worse they gave him a trial period at the end of last season ( even if it was a difficult task) he didn''t get a win to show he had some quality for the job!

Adams will always be criticised he is the manager of our football club regardless of what status people give him.

He isn''t performing well at all so yes he should take stick.

The board obviously interviewed him and maybe others. And decided to give him the job. I believe Adams interviewed so well that the board were so naive to believe him and give him the job.

The board now need to step up. Clean up there mistake of yet another bad appointment and really improve there interviewing skills and managerial scouting. Or get someone else to do.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Why should they do better? What''sthe formula for success appointing managers? Why can no clubs do better? Why can''t England do better? If you spend your whole life expecting something that''s not going to happen you will die a disappointed man..[/quote]

So on that basis we can look forward to more of the same, that should please everyone then.

Eadie talked sense on the wireless yesterday, he is a legend, lets give him a go next!

On your basis he has as good a chance as anyone else.

Rubbish, experience (and they have now got years of it) should help, at least to cut out some of the "obvious" pitfalls.

However the same mistakes keep happening.Why do you think that is?

Yes we can look forward to more of the same. So can all the other clubs. A couple are having their day in the sun now jus like we had in the past. The problem is, as I said elsewhere, managers rarely repeat their achievements from one club to the next. There is no formula. Why is Lambert so poor at Villa? Why was Moyes so poor at Man Utd?

Brown, Stringer, Walker, Deehan, Megson, O''Neil, Megson, Walker, Rioch, Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams.

Rioch, Roeder, Lambert and Hughton didn''t have so called little old Norwich connections and were all appointed by these owners. However history tells me that when Adams goes Gary Holt will probably get the job. And pertinently he would have as much chance of success as someone brought in from outside.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes we can look forward to more of the same. So can all the other clubs. A couple are having their day in the sun now jus like we had in the past. The problem is, as I said elsewhere, managers rarely repeat their achievements from one club to the next. There is no formula. Why is Lambert so poor at Villa? Why was Moyes so poor at Man Utd? Brown, Stringer, Walker, Deehan, Megson, O''Neil, Megson, Walker, Rioch, Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams. Rioch, Roeder, Lambert and Hughton didn''t have so called little old Norwich connections and were all appointed by these owners. However history tells me that when Adams goes Gary Holt will probably get the job. And pertinently he would have as much chance of success as someone brought in from outside.[/quote]

How is that so? So you think appointing Gary Holt (which I agree is very likely to happen should Adams be sacked, considering the soft, unambitious club we are) who has very minimal management experience, would have as much success as appointing someone with vast experience such as Tony Pulis? Not saying we''d have a hope of attracting him here, but that argument is not as black and white as you make out. We would have far more chance of success happening under experienced Pulis than cheap, nice inexperienced Gary Holt.

Hang on a minute! Nutty and others are defending this board or should I say the majority shareholders and as usual bend history a bit. e.g. Rioch would have been a brilliant appointment but he had to accommodate Delia''s mate Blarney O ''bullxxxx so there was another turn down an obvious blind alley.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Why should they do better? What''sthe formula for success appointing managers? Why can no clubs do better? Why can''t England do better? If you spend your whole life expecting something that''s not going to happen you will die a disappointed man..[/quote]

So on that basis we can look forward to more of the same, that should please everyone then.

Eadie talked sense on the wireless yesterday, he is a legend, lets give him a go next!

Rubbish, experience (and they have now got years of it) should help, at least to cut out some of the "obvious" pitfalls.

[/quote]

Yes but TB!The truth is Smith and Jones''s record, if we are going to personalise it, is not at all bad. One season in the third tier and the rest where our our natural position is in the scheme of things.is. The bottom of the top tier or fighting away in the second tier.Take the team we have just lost to. Former winners of the European Cup and undeniably bigger than Norwich City. I don''t have time to check back but from memory this is their 16th or 17th or even 18th consecutive season out of the top flight. We at least have been there a couple of times in that time. And Forest''s choice of manager reflects that. Pearce looks like being the latest in a long line of failures, if you define failure as not getting promotion.And Forest are by no means the only example of a club as big or bigger than us that have struggled to attract good managers. The one plainly bad decision Smith and Jones have made was to reappoint Gunn. There were always arguments for as well as against all the others

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Yes but TB!

The truth is Smith and Jones''s record, if we are going to personalise it, is not at all bad. One season in the third tier and the rest where our our natural position is in the scheme of things.is. The bottom of the top tier or fighting away in the second tier.

Take the team we have just lost to. Former winners of the European Cup and undeniably bigger than Norwich City. I don''t have time to check back but from memory this is their 16th or 17th or even 18th consecutive season out of the top flight. We at least have been there a couple of times in that time. And Forest''s choice of manager reflects that. Pearce looks like being the latest in a long line of failures, if you define failure as not getting promotion.

And Forest are by no means the only example of a club as big or bigger than us that have struggled to attract good managers. The one plainly bad decision Smith and Jones have made was to reappoint Gunn. There were always arguments for as well as against all the others

[/quote]

Not personalising at all.

As we are often reminded it''s a board decision.

We are also reminded that our owners are long serving and vastly respected and  experienced, so should give us some advantage when it comes to selection of managers. (from accross Europe we were told)

If, as stated, we are only at the level we MUST accept, then it matters not a wit who we have as the NORM will out.(Sounds very"T" ish to me)

Forgive me if I wish for more than that for my club and want it to be the BEST that it can achieve.

This season, with the squad we have (remember Adams selections) we should NOT be struggling therefore something must be amiss.

Is it the players under performing, the managers tactics or the boards selection of the wrong manager.

Whatever it needs sorting and quickly.

This " we are only x points from the top" sounds much like last years "we are only x points from safety" and we know how that turned out.

Decisions need to be made, they are beyond our influence (we don''t want more scenes like last season at Carrow road).

There are now NO supporters clubs left to speak for fans (that has been one "achievement" of McN) so all we have left it seems is silent prayer!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Yes but TB!The truth is Smith and Jones''s record, if we are going to personalise it, is not at all bad. One season in the third tier and the rest where our our natural position is in the scheme of things.is. The bottom of the top tier or fighting away in the second tier.Take the team we have just lost to. Former winners of the European Cup and undeniably bigger than Norwich City. I don''t have time to check back but from memory this is their 16th or 17th or even 18th consecutive season out of the top flight. We at least have been there a couple of times in that time. And Forest''s choice of manager reflects that. Pearce looks like being the latest in a long line of failures, if you define failure as not getting promotion.And Forest are by no means the only example of a club as big or bigger than us that have struggled to attract good managers. The one plainly bad decision Smith and Jones have made was to reappoint Gunn. There were always arguments for as well as against all the others[/quote]

Not personalising at all.

As we are often reminded it''s a board decision.

We are also reminded that our owners are long serving and vastly respected and  experienced, so should give us some advantage when it comes to selection of managers. (from accross Europe we were told)

If, as stated, we are only at the level we MUST accept, then it matters not a wit who we have as the NORM will out.(Sounds very"T" ish to me)

Forgive me if I wish for more than that for my club and want it to be the BEST that it can achieve.

This season, with the squad we have (remember Adams selections) we should NOT be struggling therefore something must be amiss.

Is it the players under performing, the managers tactics or the boards selection of the wrong manager.

Whatever it needs sorting and quickly.

This " we are only x points from the top" sounds much like last years "we are only x points from safety" and we know how that turned out.

Decisions need to be made, they are beyond our influence (we don''t want more scenes like last season at Carrow road).

There are now NO supporters clubs left to speak for fans (that has been one "achievement" of McN) so all we have left it seems is silent prayer!

[/quote]TB, I doubt our views are very far apart at all. To be clear I certainly don''t accept we have to be at a certain (middling) level, and I want the club to do as well as possible. And believe it should be performing better on the field than it has been recently. Nor do I necessarily absolve the board of blame. I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once![/quote]To be fair to Chase, this was at a time when we were trying to emulate Liverpool''s successful policy of promoting from within.Fashions change.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once![/quote]To be fair to Chase, this was at a time when we were trying to emulate Liverpool''s successful policy of promoting from within.Fashions change.[/quote]True enough, ricardo, although strictly speaking Megson II didn''t fit into that pattern, as he was then Kamara''s assistant at Bradford City. And it is generally accepted that Chase had pretty much signed external candidate Phil Neal up to replace Stringer before something (a boardroom revolt?) scuppered that plan, and Walker was promoted from within.Fashions do indeed change, but what goes around comes around. I am convinced my collection of garish kipper ties will one day again be all the rage...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once!

[/quote]

To be fair to Chase, this was at a time when we were trying to emulate Liverpool''s successful policy of promoting from within.

Fashions change.
[/quote]

True enough, ricardo, although strictly speaking Megson II didn''t fit into that pattern, as he was then Kamara''s assistant at Bradford City. And it is generally accepted that Chase had pretty much signed external candidate Phil Neal up to replace Stringer before something (a boardroom revolt?) scuppered that plan, and Walker was promoted from within.

Fashions do indeed change, but what goes around comes around.
I am convinced my collection of garish kipper ties will one day again be all the rage...
[/quote]

That may depend upon whether they are variably colorfully exotic, or simply purple in nature.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once![/quote]To be fair to Chase, this was at a time when we were trying to emulate Liverpool''s successful policy of promoting from within.Fashions change.[/quote]True enough, ricardo, although strictly speaking Megson II didn''t fit into that pattern, as he was then Kamara''s assistant at Bradford City. And it is generally accepted that Chase had pretty much signed external candidate Phil Neal up to replace Stringer before something (a boardroom revolt?) scuppered that plan, and Walker was promoted from within.Fashions do indeed change, but what goes around comes around. I am convinced my collection of garish kipper ties will one day again be all the rage...[/quote]You''re right, things do change rapidly and the old ideas get recycled. Whether that includes kipper ties, I wouldn''t like to say.The club have put up several role models to follow over the years. Who can forget the Charlton model?The things is, we did actually emulate them , all the way back to the Championship.I tend to think that Adams will get the next two home games to turn things round. The AGM will get quite nasty if he doesn''t.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I was just putting a bit of longer-term perspective. Despite the myth that S&J always go for the cheap managerial alternative, the facts are that their record in being bold and going for external candidates with no previous connection to the club is vastly better than Chase''s who didn''t do that once![/quote]To be fair to Chase, this was at a time when we were trying to emulate Liverpool''s successful policy of promoting from within.Fashions change.[/quote]True enough, ricardo, although strictly speaking Megson II didn''t fit into that pattern, as he was then Kamara''s assistant at Bradford City. And it is generally accepted that Chase had pretty much signed external candidate Phil Neal up to replace Stringer before something (a boardroom revolt?) scuppered that plan, and Walker was promoted from within.Fashions do indeed change, but what goes around comes around. I am convinced my collection of garish kipper ties will one day again be all the rage...[/quote]

That may depend upon whether they are variably colorfully exotic, or simply purple in nature.

[/quote]Very popular in Clacton and parts of Kent, so I am led to believe.