Sign in to follow this  
gabba

You're a plastic if...

...you want either of Pulis, Lennon, Malky, McCarthy or [insert name of hoofball merchant] being suggested as our next manager.Eddie Howe is a reasonable shout, as would be any other experienced (probably foreign) appointment who would be committed to playing a technical passing game. But please stop suggesting the same old anti-football garbage in the name of chasing glory. We''d be better off giving Adams an ultimatum to play a technical passing game

and keeping him in the job, rather than go round in circles hoofing it for another 20 years.Let''s follow what Swansea did and insist on technical passing football come hell or high water instead of going for the best qualified kick and rush exponent with the best record. Will we be brave enough to go for an unfancied Paulo Souza type in the name of sticking to decent footballing principals and building a footballing culture? Or will we go chasing rainbows with Pulis and be back at square one in 3-4 years time?Mike Walker tried to build something similar to what Swansea later built, but our beloved Z list celebrity drunk decided it was a better idea to appoint her hoofballer mates Rioch and Hamilton. Let''s go back and try and continue what Walker was prevented from doing.

Right.... so I think you''re saying the solution to our current problems is:

a) Keep Neil Adams as manager

b) Insist on a certain playing style which he might not believe is effective

c) Stick to that "come hell or high water", e.g. mid-table mediocrity or worse.

You''re not a plastic, but you might not have the clearest thought process.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Right.... so I think you''re saying the solution to our current problems is:

a) Keep Neil Adams as manager

b) Insist on a certain playing style which he might not believe is effective

c) Stick to that "come hell or high water", e.g. mid-table mediocrity or worse.

You''re not a plastic, but you might not have the clearest thought process.[/quote]Go and read the post again, nice and slowly this time. I never argued for point a) so your following points aren''t valid. I''d rather we went and tried to play football rather than go for a hoofballer like Pulis.The risk of mid-table mediocrity or worse in the event we aimed to play non-hoofball typifies the plastic mindset. The plastics'' fear of not achieving immediate success prevents us from building anything longer term. It''s a vicious circle.Did Swansea risk mid-table mediocrity when they appointed Souza or Martinez? Neither were the best or most qualified candidates. Would they be in their present position if they''d taken the easy way out and appointed someone like Pulis? I''d say no.

[quote user="alartz"]You''re a bell end if...... your name is 1touch[/quote]So you''ve switched back to wanting Adams out after having wanted him to stay just a few weeks ago? You said you got it wrong about him being a poor manager, ate the humble pie, but a few results later you want him out again. You''re a plastic like City1st who just follows the crowd.

I will never understand why some norwich fans call other norwich fans plastics. Where and how did it all start it is only a recent development

[quote user="1touch"]...you want either of Pulis, Lennon, Malky, McCarthy or [insert name of hoofball merchant] being suggested as our next manager.Eddie Howe is a reasonable shout, as would be any other experienced (probably foreign) appointment who would be committed to playing a technical passing game. But please stop suggesting the same old anti-football garbage in the name of chasing glory. We''d be better off giving Adams an ultimatum to play a technical passing game

and keeping him in the job, rather than go round in circles hoofing it for another 20 years.Let''s follow what Swansea did and insist on technical passing football come hell or high water instead of going for the best qualified kick and rush exponent with the best record. Will we be brave enough to go for an unfancied Paulo Souza type in the name of sticking to decent footballing principals and building a footballing culture? Or will we go chasing rainbows with Pulis and be back at square one in 3-4 years time?Mike Walker tried to build something similar to what Swansea later built, but our beloved Z list celebrity drunk decided it was a better idea to appoint her hoofballer mates Rioch and Hamilton. Let''s go back and try and continue what Walker was prevented from doing.[/quote]Isn''t that what we were trying to do with Adams, Holt and the new football board?

If we fail to get straight back up there is a strong argument for trying to learn to be a football team instead of trying to rush things.   The aim is always to get promoted of course, but to do that you have to be a good footballing team.   Our team at the moment is trying to learn good teamwork under severe pressure - the severe pressure of finances, expectation and impatience.   It may be better to build a good team ethic but without intense expectations.   How did Walker do it? Because Stringer set things up for him.  How did Stringer do it?   By asking for patience and time to get a good style of playing going.  Patience and time are in short supply these days, but if Swansea can do it with the right set up, then so could we.  

[quote user="1touch"]...you want either of Pulis, Lennon, Malky, McCarthy or [insert name of hoofball merchant] being suggested as our next manager.Eddie Howe is a reasonable shout, as would be any other experienced (probably foreign) appointment who would be committed to playing a technical passing game. But please stop suggesting the same old anti-football garbage in the name of chasing glory. We''d be better off giving Adams an ultimatum to play a technical passing game

and keeping him in the job, rather than go round in circles hoofing it for another 20 years.Let''s follow what Swansea did and insist on technical passing football come hell or high water instead of going for the best qualified kick and rush exponent with the best record. Will we be brave enough to go for an unfancied Paulo Souza type in the name of sticking to decent footballing principals and building a footballing culture? Or will we go chasing rainbows with Pulis and be back at square one in 3-4 years time?Mike Walker tried to build something similar to what Swansea later built, but our beloved Z list celebrity drunk decided it was a better idea to appoint her hoofballer mates Rioch and Hamilton. Let''s go back and try and continue what Walker was prevented from doing.[/quote]Apologies but I think I need some clarification on what a "plastic" is. I''ve been a Norwich fan since 1992 and been a season ticket holder for all but five years of this including going to every home game in League One.However from your statement my opinion that bringing in Tony Pulis, a vastly experienced and successful manager would be good for the club and bring the best out of our players makes me a "plastic".So if a "plastic" fan is a loyal season ticket holder who goes to every home game, listens to every away game and has supported the club for so long he can remember when they originally signed the current manager 20 years ago from Oldham for £600k, what''s the problem with being a "plastic"?To follow on from your mildly patronising Swansea story, let''s also not forget that Tony Pulis did a similar thing for Stoke City and they''re on the same points as Swansea at this date. So why would selecting him be "chasing rainbows"?

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="1touch"]...you want either of Pulis, Lennon, Malky, McCarthy or [insert name of hoofball merchant] being suggested as our next manager.Eddie Howe is a reasonable shout, as would be any other experienced (probably foreign) appointment who would be committed to playing a technical passing game. But please stop suggesting the same old anti-football garbage in the name of chasing glory. We''d be better off giving Adams an ultimatum to play a technical passing game

and keeping him in the job, rather than go round in circles hoofing it for another 20 years.Let''s follow what Swansea did and insist on technical passing football come hell or high water instead of going for the best qualified kick and rush exponent with the best record. Will we be brave enough to go for an unfancied Paulo Souza type in the name of sticking to decent footballing principals and building a footballing culture? Or will we go chasing rainbows with Pulis and be back at square one in 3-4 years time?Mike Walker tried to build something similar to what Swansea later built, but our beloved Z list celebrity drunk decided it was a better idea to appoint her hoofballer mates Rioch and Hamilton. Let''s go back and try and continue what Walker was prevented from doing.[/quote]Isn''t that what we were trying to do with Adams, Holt and the new football board?[/quote]I think in theory this was their aim. But it didn''t look to me like we were trying to play the sort of football we used to play 20-25 years ago. It''s difficult to know what the board is aiming at, but I''m surprised that people like Stringer aren''t on it. We''ve heard several managers and people within the club talk about playing good passing football, but producing it is another matter.Whether the football played by Adams, the tactics etc were aimed at a true passing game but were waylaid because of compromise, inexperience, the players not being used to playing a technical game is debatable. Earlier in the season it looked to me like he thought that we had such a good squad that he could ''afford'' to be a lot more direct, ie the safe option.To be fair to Adams, some of the passing yesterday once we got going was pretty good, we just didn''t move forward very well or pose much of a threat (Forest were awful for a lot of it though). Again, was this Adams learning, stopping the endless crosses in favour of playing more of a passing game through the middle? Was he learning that we''d be better if we didn''t take shortcuts via endless hoofing?The point of my thread is that somewhere down the line we''re going to need to up the quality or else we''ll be like tons of other sides that aimlessly oscillate between the divisions. Hoof-merchants like Pulis are perhaps good at firefighting to keep sides like Palace up, but not for long term football development. It rarely happens that you get promotion, say goodbye to someone like Pulis, and then both learn how to play a technical game virtually from scratch and survive.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="1touch"]...you want either of Pulis, Lennon, Malky, McCarthy or [insert name of hoofball merchant] being suggested as our next manager.Eddie Howe is a reasonable shout, as would be any other experienced (probably foreign) appointment who would be committed to playing a technical passing game. But please stop suggesting the same old anti-football garbage in the name of chasing glory. We''d be better off giving Adams an ultimatum to play a technical passing game

and keeping him in the job, rather than go round in circles hoofing it for another 20 years.Let''s follow what Swansea did and insist on technical passing football come hell or high water instead of going for the best qualified kick and rush exponent with the best record. Will we be brave enough to go for an unfancied Paulo Souza type in the name of sticking to decent footballing principals and building a footballing culture? Or will we go chasing rainbows with Pulis and be back at square one in 3-4 years time?Mike Walker tried to build something similar to what Swansea later built, but our beloved Z list celebrity drunk decided it was a better idea to appoint her hoofballer mates Rioch and Hamilton. Let''s go back and try and continue what Walker was prevented from doing.[/quote]Apologies but I think I need some clarification on what a "plastic" is. I''ve been a Norwich fan since 1992 and been a season ticket holder for all but five years of this including going to every home game in League One.However from your statement my opinion that bringing in Tony Pulis, a vastly experienced and successful manager would be good for the club and bring the best out of our players makes me a "plastic".So if a "plastic" fan is a loyal season ticket holder who goes to every home game, listens to every away game and has supported the club for so long he can remember when they originally signed the current manager 20 years ago from Oldham for £600k, what''s the problem with being a "plastic"?To follow on from your mildly patronising Swansea story, let''s also not forget that Tony Pulis did a similar thing for Stoke City and they''re on the same points as Swansea at this date. So why would selecting him be "chasing rainbows"?[/quote]See the final paragraph to my pervious reply to Herman. Essentially I don''t think Stoke are the best role model, their football was dire under Pulis, even most of their fans thought so. I''m not denying Pulis wasn''t good at getting Stoke up and keeping them up, but if you don''t produce the quality then it can be very difficult to stay up and much easier to come unstuck.Swansea have done well even with two changes of manager because they''ve built a solid base that isn''t so reliant on having the best manager. I''d expect them to prosper but would fear that a team like Stoke will eventually come unstuck because their game doesn''t rely as heavily on technique.Who would you rather watch, Stoke or Swansea? I''d much rather watch Swansea and be entertained than be a Stoke fan and watch boring hoofball. A plastic to me is someone content to have someone like Pulis manage their team just for the sake of being able to be bored rigid in the top division.If you can remember back to 1992-94, most of the entertainment was in us being a much better technical side than almost anyone else.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If we fail to get straight back up there is a strong argument for trying to learn to be a football team instead of trying to rush things.   The aim is always to get promoted of course, but to do that you have to be a good footballing team.   Our team at the moment is trying to learn good teamwork under severe pressure - the severe pressure of finances, expectation and impatience.   It may be better to build a good team ethic but without intense expectations.   How did Walker do it? Because Stringer set things up for him.  How did Stringer do it?   By asking for patience and time to get a good style of playing going.  Patience and time are in short supply these days, but if Swansea can do it with the right set up, then so could we. [/quote]Stringer had a lot of the groundwork done for him by Brown, but I agree with most of that. A lot of the problems we''ve had are that the board have lacked footballing knowledge and vision. It''s about giving someone like Stringer the time, but avoiding managers like Hoofton or at least sacking them when their hoofball tendencies become apparent.

[quote user="1touch"]The risk of mid-table mediocrity or worse in the event we aimed to play non-hoofball typifies the plastic mindset. The plastics'' fear of not achieving immediate success prevents us from building anything longer term. It''s a vicious circle.[/quote]But based on your fear of not achieving immediate success under Adams, you seem to be suggesting we replace him with an "unknown" who supports a passing game?

There are times when I prefer a bit of ;Hoofball'' to the 50 passes and still in your own half passing game.

We need a happy medium!

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="1touch"]The risk of mid-table mediocrity or worse in the event we aimed to play non-hoofball typifies the plastic mindset. The plastics'' fear of not achieving immediate success prevents us from building anything longer term. It''s a vicious circle.[/quote]But based on your fear of not achieving immediate success under Adams, you seem to be suggesting we replace him with an "unknown" who supports a passing game?[/quote]I feared that Adams wouldn''t play a technical passing style, rather than whether he would achieve immediate success. Put another way, if Adams was trying to play a decent style of football then I''d be extremely patient.If Adams wants to play hoofball, and he may eventually be successful with this after a slow start, then I''d not be in favour of him remaining manager.There''s nowt wrong with going for technical quality, but I''m doubtful as to whether Adams is either aiming at this or capable of producing it.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]There are times when I prefer a bit of ;Hoofball'' to the 50 passes and still in your own half passing game.

We need a happy medium![/quote]The tika-taka type stuff can be a bit boring, but it would be good if we were at least capable of playing it. Mike Walker took Stringer''s team, which was sometimes guilty of trying to pass it into the net, and made them a little bit more direct to good effect.