Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

the deafening silence from Archant, Paddy, and M.Bailey

As always, when dealing with media, you need to look for agendas.

And the agenda for whoever following Norwich in the media, the print boys, is to be "pleasant company", it seems.

Never hav I seen M.Bailey or Paddy or some other Archant journo write something which could be interpreted as criticism towards the sitting manager, or the board.

Why?

The agenda of keeping themselves close to the happenings, ofcourse. They dont want to alienate themselves from the inner circles.

Pathetic.

They should write what they see. If not, they are not doing their jobs (or they are totally useless in their jobs).

I agree Reading. Actually Goreham has become increasingly critical in his commentary and general comments too. I also note that Michael Bailey does not appear to be too impressed with the last 18 months either. Admittedly these are verbal comments of course rather than the written word.

Re. Radio Norfolk, I think they have turned. Rob Butler for a few weeks has been trying to suppress it but yesterday seemed to change that. Then you had Darren Eadie (not an employee of the club - coincidence?) talk about it from an almost neutral point of view and was pretty scathing

Well it depends if they are charged with reporting or opinion. If you take Radio Norfolk Chris Goreham should be reporting while a football expert is beside him to give opinion. The lines soon become blurred and that''s a pet hate of mine!

Why would say Michael Baileysor Rob Butlers opinion be worth more than mine or our Butlers?

It is important to take into account that part of Archant''s role will be to report on the happenings at Carrow Road. That means they need to avoid being too scathing or personal about individuals at the club as they are part of a of business relationship. The club will let them have interviews with the manager and players because they advertise the club in doing so and keep the club in the local papers so that current and potential fans will be reminded when games are coming up and will consider going.Whilst the local media does have a responsibility to the public to provide truthful reporting if it is too scathing the club will decide that it is not beneficial for them to continue their relationship.This will mean that they are only able to provide uninformed opinion on the matter. And as ol'' nutty has said above, why would this opinion be worth any more or less than any other fans?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well it depends if they are charged with reporting or opinion. If you take Radio Norfolk Chris Goreham should be reporting while a football expert is beside him to give opinion. The lines soon become blurred and that''s a pet hate of mine!

Why would say Michael Baileysor Rob Butlers opinion be worth more than mine or our Butlers?[/quote]

With NN being one of the self righteous brothers in fact his opinion is worth 10 times more than anyone else''s!

If you listened to the Pinkun Podcast covering the 4-0 Middlesbrough defeat, both Paddy and Michael were scathing about both the manager and players.  It was like listening to Marvin the Paranoid Android and Eeyore, it was that depressing.In print both may feel they have to be more objective, restrained and take the long view. There will be bosses editing their opinions as well.

Interviews, press conferences, match reports are all obviously played straight.The weekly podcast, pieces like this and the Norwich City Debate starting in 10 minutes are where you''ll get our opinions...

But that''s not good enough Pete. I demand biased interviews, press conferences and match reports so that they reflect my POV....

Does nobody remember the Ryan Hartley affair? Or Dion getting busted up over leaking the Mackail-Smith story? We are talking about the same McNally who sent the police round to a kid who had obtained photos of the latest kit!