Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Noise at matches

Can we get behind the team again v Brighton , the atmosphere at carrow road is very poor, I realise we have not been performing and Adams is unpopular but would like to see more vocal support . I read an article recently that said the reason grounds are quiet now is that the ordinary fan has been priced out of the game , leaving behind a upper class type of fan who are less Likely to sing, also that a lot of fans are not regulars. Do you agree? I think reverting to standing areas would be a start. I can remember when dining would start at the Barclay spread to the south stand and even to the river end , the sound would echo around the stands .

[quote user="72season"] I can remember when singing  would start at the Barclay spread to the south stand and even to the river end , the sound would echo around the stands .[/quote]

Seats have spoiled the atmosphere to an extent.   The gap in the stand has ruined the acoustics too.  The sound can no longer reverberate around the stadium as it once used to.   The Barclay and  Jarrold are too remote from each other now and it is one of the main reasons I am so vocal about the hotel. It has ruined our stadium in so many ways and I hope it needs sorting.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="72season"] I can remember when singing  would start at the Barclay spread to the south stand and even to the river end , the sound would echo around the stands .[/quote]

Seats have spoiled the atmosphere to an extent.   The gap in the stand has ruined the acoustics too.  The sound can no longer reverberate around the stadium as it once used to.   The Barclay and  Jarrold are too remote from each other now and it is one of the main reasons I am so vocal about the hotel. It has ruined our stadium in so many ways and I hope it needs sorting.

[/quote]But the South stand was never joined to the Barclay either, was it? The same gap was there.

yes it was there was a infill where I have stood where the hotel was I can remember we sold out the ground and there was the Barclay then the away fans then us in between the away fans in the seats in the old south stand in was quite rare they used it but they did I think it was against wimbeldon in the late 1980''s early 1990''s

[quote user="norfolkngood"]yes it was there was a infill where I have stood where the hotel was I can remember we sold out the ground and there was the Barclay then the away fans then us in between the away fans in the seats in the old south stand in was quite rare they used it but they did I think it was against wimbeldon in the late 1980''s early 1990''s[/quote]I shall bow to your older knowledge then, all the pictures I can find of the south stand only show a big empty space between it and the Barclay.So we''re talking a long, long time ago then.When I started going, in the early 90''s I seem to remember crowds of 12 or 13,000 if you were lucky, and I don''t remember there being much noise, to be honest. I sometimes wonder if peoples memories are slightly fuzzed, with the passage of time.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkngood"]yes it was there was a infill where I have stood where the hotel was I can remember we sold out the ground and there was the Barclay then the away fans then us in between the away fans in the seats in the old south stand in was quite rare they used it but they did I think it was against wimbeldon in the late 1980''s early 1990''s[/quote]I shall bow to your older knowledge then, all the pictures I can find of the south stand only show a big empty space between it and the Barclay.So we''re talking a long, long time ago then.When I started going, in the early 90''s I seem to remember crowds of 12 or 13,000 if you were lucky, and I don''t remember there being much noise, to be honest. I sometimes wonder if peoples memories are slightly fuzzed, with the passage of time.[/quote]

Memory can play tricks, I grant you, but I occasionally used to stand in that corner and remember it was a cauldron of noise when the ground was full.   Most memorable for me was the 1-0 cup fogged off  replay against Chelsea in 1973.  Unbelievable atmosphere in that part of the ground.  There has been a gap there since the 80''s.   Filling it would improve the atmosphere at matches quite considerably.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkngood"]yes it was there was a infill where I have stood where the hotel was I can remember we sold out the ground and there was the Barclay then the away fans then us in between the away fans in the seats in the old south stand in was quite rare they used it but they did I think it was against wimbeldon in the late 1980''s early 1990''s[/quote]I shall bow to your older knowledge then, all the pictures I can find of the south stand only show a big empty space between it and the Barclay.So we''re talking a long, long time ago then.When I started going, in the early 90''s I seem to remember crowds of 12 or 13,000 if you were lucky, and I don''t remember there being much noise, to be honest. I sometimes wonder if peoples memories are slightly fuzzed, with the passage of time.[/quote]

Memory can play tricks, I grant you, but I occasionally used to stand in that corner and remember it was a cauldron of noise when the ground was full.   Most memorable for me was the 1-0 cup fogged off  replay against Chelsea in 1973.  Unbelievable atmosphere in that part of the ground.  There has been a gap there since the 80''s.   Filling it would improve the atmosphere at matches quite considerably.

[/quote]Lol, so 41 years ago then?We have been round and round with this, corner infills are not economically viable, and especially not for us right now.Our atmosphere is no worse, or no better than anyone elses. Sometimes its good, sometimes its nervy, exactly the same as any other club.I don''t think filling it in would make any difference, whatsoever.

[quote user="morty"]Our atmosphere is no worse, or no better than anyone elses. Sometimes its good, sometimes its nervy, exactly the same as any other club.I don''t think filling it in would make any difference, whatsoever.[/quote]

I will of course dis-agree.  One of the few options for helping the atmosphere at matches is in the design of the stadiums.  Acoustics are a very important and neglected part of old stadium development.  New stadiums however are designed with acoustics in mind.  I hope we never move from Carrow Road and its history, but a fully enclosed stadium would improve the atmosphere, acoustics, ground capacity and match experience. 

I used to go in the 70''s and there was a gap at both ends of the City stand , and no roof on the river end .

Why do so many come on here trying to blame modern Stadia for the lack of atmosphere ?

The same goes for the 20 something''s who think they invented supporting your club vociferously .

Wher I sit in the barclay , all ages sing and support ,, in fact I think the more mature are the most vociferous !

We need to be seeing something to sing about , then moan if nobody sings !

As for the poster who asks if the reason could be too many casual fans ,,, is he for real ?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Our atmosphere is no worse, or no better than anyone elses. Sometimes its good, sometimes its nervy, exactly the same as any other club.I don''t think filling it in would make any difference, whatsoever.[/quote]

I will of course dis-agree.  One of the few options for helping the atmosphere at matches is in the design of the stadiums.  Acoustics are a very important and neglected part of old stadium development.  New stadiums however are designed with acoustics in mind.  I hope we never move from Carrow Road and its history, but a fully enclosed stadium would improve the atmosphere, acoustics, ground capacity and match experience. 

[/quote]Funny that, as I have been to much newer stadia than ours, and you could hear a pin drop.This is another of these things where you decide something is right, then continue to waffle on, until people get bored of replying to you, isn''t it?[;)]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Ricoh Arena ,,,,Fratton park ,,, couldn''t get a better example ! any way that''s my point , nothing to do with the ground[/quote]

Yes its to do with the fans.  A stadium is only as good as the fans you put in it.  The Ricoh is just wrong. At Fratton Park though, the stands practically join at the corners. There isn''t a huge gap in one corner like at Carrow Road.  There is no stadium in the first two divisions that has a gap like at CR to my knowledge - although I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong and it is pretty much a disgrace in football stadium terms. I know the reasons for it, but that doesn''t make it right.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]The Fratton Park I refer to had no roof on one stand !

It is entirely down to the fans ,,,, absolutely nothing to do with the stadium configuration .[/quote][Y]

Loudest stadium in the world. Allegedly.....[URL=http://s589.photobucket.com/user/dmacca666/media/800px-CenturyLink_Field_Sounders_layout.jpg.html][IMG]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/dmacca666/800px-CenturyLink_Field_Sounders_layout.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Acoustics is a science.  New Sports Stadiums and new Concert Halls are designed to enhance acoustics.  It would be stupid not to take into account the sound effects of  any improvements/plans to do with developing Carrow Road.   The acoustics would improve if the corner was filled in.  The ground would look better if it was filled in.  The match experience would be better if it was filled in.  No question about it.  The only question is whether it will ever happen. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]The acoustics would improve if the corner was filled in.  The ground would look better if it was filled in.  The match experience would be better if it was filled in.  No question about it.  The only question is whether it will ever happen.[/quote]Perhaps some balconies would do it Lakey. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]The acoustics would improve if the corner was filled in.  The ground would look better if it was filled in.  The match experience would be better if it was filled in.  No question about it.  The only question is whether it will ever happen.[/quote]Perhaps some balconies would do it Lakey. [:D][/quote]

Yes, balconies can be quite effective.....

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]WTF !!! obsessed with the shape of the ground !!

The ground would look better ???

the experience would be better ???

What about just playing some decent football ??

That would improve the experience !!

You really do write some sh*t LDC[/quote][:D]

Morty is right, when we had crowds of less than 15000 we never made much noise, I sat in the barclay for over 15 years, then got fed up with trendy families who thought it is good to go to the match, been in the snake pit since and in the last few years even thats changed, full of kids, all the so called hooligans all banned, we need to be realistic that football has changed, over priced, being seated, and lets be honest we have never had a vocal support, and us Norfolk lot are suppressed and to polite

It seemed like a good atmosphere when the guy had a drum in the snakepit, even though the team were pretty poor at the time. I am sure that would improve the noise levels.