Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Gary Hooper

what does he have to do to get a start? After his 45 mins on Tuesday Adams said he had performed well, so why then did he not start yesterday instead of Grabban? Is there an underlying problem between Hooper and Adams because surely if he is fit to play 45 minutes he is fit to start!!

A case of Adams favouring the player he bought! Grabban has missed so many sitters recently it defies logic to not play Hooper. Bad for squad morale I think and shows a man under increasing pressure...

He will want out in january and who can blame him.

One game Grabban was dropped and Hooper was bought on ahead of him as sub, Leeds i think.

Then next game Grabban was starting. I cant see why hes not been given a chance, especially after Grabban seems to be on such a bad run of form.

Will probably go to Bolton and start banging them in.

Need a manager who can get Hooper, Bassong back on the side.

Quite how we''ve managed to find ourselves with a proven goal scorer at the very highest level sat warming the bench is, once again, a particularly pertinent point regarding the current mangement team.

The obvious shouts of ''It was only Celtic'' must also be tempered by his performances in the Champions League.

Last year under Cautious Chris why we even bothered buying a striker is yet another mystery but back in the Chump, it beggars belief.

Grabban looks ok, yes he scored early on in the season but I''ve not seen much to write home about of late, quite why he''s keeping Hooper out is, well, just plain weird.

Then me come onto Adrian Coote''s evil love child namely Lafferty, he looks a complete liability but as we saw can do well enough whilst playing for NI.

There''s a common theme coming through here:

Gary Hooper can play well for Celtic.

Kyle Lafferty can play well for NI.

Martin and Whittaker can play well for Scotland.

So, when they have a good manager, they can all play well...............................

In the transfer window we found ourselves a top quality goalscorer, however, we''d already signed Grabban and so Wilson went to Bournemouth...

Eddie Howe must be smirking at that one

[quote user="john in exile in leeds"]There''s a common theme coming through here:

Gary Hooper can play well for Celtic.

Kyle Lafferty can play well for NI.

Martin and Whittaker can play well for Scotland.

So, when they have a good manager, they can all play well...............................[/quote]

Great post,

[quote user="Muffles"]In the transfer window we found ourselves a top quality goalscorer, however, we''d already signed Grabban and so Wilson went to Bournemouth...

Eddie Howe must be smirking at that one[/quote]

Wilson was offered a better deal to come here, but turned us down to go to Bournemouth, looks like he made a wise choice

Gary Hooper himself needs to pull his finger out and prove that he wants to be involved. I don''t blame Adams for not picking him. He''s shown very little to justify inclusion in his whole time at the club.

[quote user="Hughtonanny"]Gary Hooper himself needs to pull his finger out and prove that he wants to be involved. I don''t blame Adams for not picking him. He''s shown very little to justify inclusion in his whole time at the club.[/quote]He can hardly do much from the subs bench! And yet Lafferty has done absolutely nothing at all, apart from pick up yellows almost every game, and I don''t think Grabban has scored for about 10 games!!If yu gave Hooper half the chance Laffs & Grabban have been given I''m sure he''d justify (perhaps you can explain what those do need to do to justify their inclusion?) his

I think Adams 5 game spell at the end of last season shows what he thinks of Hooper! -

The fact he''d rather play a mentally shot to bits and seriously underperforming RVW rather than Hooper who''d done much better shows that Adams isn''t a fan of Hooper!

Grabban started of well (false dawn!) but has gone of the boil recently and has missed both penalties hes taken!

Lafferty is just a loose cannon and for such a tall guy is poor in the air!

Yet these 2 get more opportunities than Hooper!

I thought one of the ideas of having a squad was to have a pool of players with which to pick your best 11 players and anyone not in form is dropped to give someone else a chance!

Hooper isn''t getting a fair chance with Adams and you can''t blame him if he wants to move in January!

I

Hooper may well have not come back in great shape this summer but frankly he has been treated shoddily by two successive managers now. Even Hughton who bought him kept dropping him to play that waster RVW when Hooper had done little wrong. That Adams basically snubbed him for the last few games was shocking.

If Hooper had had the same number of goal scoring chances Grabban has had so far this season he''d have about 15 goals. I still cling to the hope that a new manager could see Bassong back in the fold and Hooper given a proper run of games. Both could be huge for us. That''s not defending Bassong. By all accounts he''s behaved poorly but I also feel that if we had an experienced manager the whole situation would either not have arisen or it would have been managed better.

Jim. You must feel I''m forever on your case. I''m sorry if it seems that way but you don''t half like a scapegoat. A couple of weeks ago it was Johnson. You wanted him dropped at all costs. A fortnight later I believe you changed your mind and wanted him back? And now this with Grabban.

I''m only a bog cleaner so my reading of football matches is probably no better than yours. But what I rarely see from you is any acceptance that it''s a team game. Neil Adams stated after Sheffield Wednesday that he believed Grabban and Jerome were beginning to form a partnership. They have also scored 14 goals between them in our first 17 games. It''s entirely possible that Hooper might have scored some of the chances that Grabban missed recently. But from what I''ve seen it''s no ''given'' that he would have made the runs Grabban made to get in the position to take the chances. TBH in the game time he''s had as sub in the champs I can''t remember him having a shot.

I hope Adams persistes with Jerome and Grabban and that they become the top partnership in the league. I''d like to see Hooper come good too, of course I would, but IMO he''s not really gelled with his team mates either last season or this.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Jim. You must feel I''m forever on your case. I''m sorry if it seems that way but you don''t half like a scapegoat. A couple of weeks ago it was Johnson. You wanted him dropped at all costs. A fortnight later I believe you changed your mind and wanted him back? And now this with Grabban.

I''m only a bog cleaner so my reading of football matches is probably no better than yours. But what I rarely see from you is any acceptance that it''s a team game. Neil Adams stated after Sheffield Wednesday that he believed Grabban and Jerome were beginning to form a partnership. They have also scored 14 goals between them in our first 17 games. It''s entirely possible that Hooper might have scored some of the chances that Grabban missed recently. But from what I''ve seen it''s no ''given'' that he would have made the runs Grabban made to get in the position to take the chances. TBH in the game time he''s had as sub in the champs I can''t remember him having a shot.

I hope Adams persistes with Jerome and Grabban and that they become the top partnership in the league. I''d like to see Hooper come good too, of course I would, but IMO he''s not really gelled with his team mates either last season or this.

[/quote]

Neil Adams was talking sh*t after the Shef Weds game I''m afraid Nutty. There is no blossoming partnership between Grabban and Jerome. I agree Grabban makes good runs and he stretches defenses. He''s a useful player to have but he has missed so many guilt edged chances in recent weeks. it''s just my personal view that Hooper is the best finisher we have and I would like to see him given a run. You can''t gel with your team mates whilst on the bench although I actually thought he linked up superbly with Wes at times when they both played.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Neil Adams was talking sh*t after the Shef Weds game I''m afraid Nutty. There is no blossoming partnership between Grabban and Jerome. I agree Grabban makes good runs and he stretches defenses. He''s a useful player to have but he has missed so many guilt edged chances in recent weeks. it''s just my personal view that Hooper is the best finisher we have and I would like to see him given a run. You can''t gel with your team mates whilst on the bench although I actually thought he linked up superbly with Wes at times when they both played.[/quote]

I haven''t seen Hooper have a shot in 100 mins 1st team appearances this season Jim. But I''m happy for you to tell me otherwise. Grabban missing chances is frustrating but never devalue the ability to be in the right position to shoot. If he''s managing that without gelling we could be in clover when he does and that''s another reason to persevere with him.

I think Hooper wants out and has done since the end of last season, if he hadn''t got injured I doubt he would be here right now.  He joins the list of good lower Prem/Upper Champ players to want out of the club - Bassong, Pilkington, Surman, Olsson.
With Grabban, did we even scout him? I get the impression we looked down the top scorers chart and signed the first player we could afford. He is technically poor, has one decent Championship season behind him, and even then scored a host of penalties.  To me, he looks like an average championship player.

Grabban is awful. Havent seen him play well once yet. Cant believe we missed out on Callum Wilson. Looks a great player.

what about all those goals that he scored at the start of the season where we played him up top on his own? Still can''t quite believe Adams (yes here we go again, poor bloke) hasn''t gone back to what was successful in this long run of terrible results.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I think Hooper wants out and has done since the end of last season, if he hadn''t got injured I doubt he would be here right now.  He joins the list of good lower Prem/Upper Champ players to want out of the club - Bassong, Pilkington, Surman, Olsson.
With Grabban, did we even scout him? I get the impression we looked down the top scorers chart and signed the first player we could afford. He is technically poor, has one decent Championship season behind him, and even then scored a host of penalties.  To me, he looks like an average championship player.
[/quote]

If Hooper has wanted our since the end of last season its probably because our caretaker manager came in and made it abundantly clear he did not rate him by not playing him at all despite the fact we had no other decent strikers and then we went and gave that caretaker the job. Can hardly blame him for wanting out really.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Grabban is awful. Havent seen him play well once yet. Cant believe we missed out on Callum Wilson. Looks a great player.[/quote]Awful is an understatement , Bournemouth must be laughing their socks off getting £3 million off us for a £50,000 striker and then landing Callum Wilson who cannot stop scoring . With the exception of Jerome all Adams signings look duds and he himself does not seem to have the faith to play the likes of Miguel , McGrandles or even VOO before he got injured .Quite frankly all Adams does well is boast to the press about what hes going to do and then fails to deliver it .

Grabban is twice the player that Hooper is. Yes he has missed more than his fair share of sitters, and that hasn''t helped our cause, but Hooper wouldn''t have been anywhere near those chances because he''s too slow, too cumbersome and vastly over rated. He has was very poor for the 2nd half of last season & obviously he''s done nothing in training this season to suggest he''s sharp enough to warrant a start.

In all honesty based on what he''s done since he''s been here I''m amazed that there''s any support for him at all.

It''s just a bit sad trying to beat norwich with every stick you can find, why would you literally spend time to just keep moaning on every single post, there''s no discussion, it''s just a continuation of sh1t, whether it be you, 1touch, sick pack. Any poster to do with numbers...coincidence?

But to be fair, how many has Grabban scored in the last 10 or so games? And he''s missed two penalties! And even Lafferty who, in my opinion, offers very little (crikey, if you want a left winger against Forest for lat 15 mins, why the hell do you bring on Laff ahead of Murphy!!!) indeed, gets game time ahead of Hooper.I''ll say what I''ve always said, if Hooper isn''t show good attitude and performances on the training ground, the manager wouldn''t even have him on the bench>And yet there he is game in game out, our strikers have hit a purple patch and still Adams won''t bring him on! Bad management!!!

Sanwam, a purple patch:

"An overly elaborate or effusive piece of writing. Also, a period of notable success or good luck."