Sign in to follow this  
smooth

How many thought adams could take us up and keep us up?

That clearly was the question that must have been asked when we scoured the whole of Europe.

The key was who can change the losing mentality that was far too apparent in the dressing room, ethos even under adams and bring in confidence of a new ethos that would take us up and keep us up one season.

A lot of comments here are so short sighted, it is important that in the next ten games we get over two points a game to get back on track. Do we think we can. Well this season so far has seen plucky performances and the heads turning on the field that we all saw last season. The ethos needs to change dramatically, fresh leaders.

The decision for adams was met with numbness because the odds on Adams taking us up were pretty ok, but for then the next season in the prem would we have faith in him to keep us up. Of me the answer was no and hence why I met the appointment with numbness, as many of us did.

On reflection and performances we are in amongst it, but having played at a level which certainly does highlight why our players are considered as championship players.

We need to look long term with the appointment and believe who we bring in will get us up and also keep us season 1 in the prem. From then who knows... But I ink that is the question we all need to ask.

Do we think Adams will take us up and keep us up, if yes then he is the right manager if no then he is not right. The board made a decision and mcnally acted on behalf of them to set it up. Too many mistakes with managers, gunn, grant, worthy, roeder etc lets act like we did with gunn and go and get a man who can take us up and keep us up for 1 season.

[quote user="smooth"]That clearly was the question that must have been asked when we scoured the whole of Europe.

The key was who can change the losing mentality that was far too apparent in the dressing room, ethos even under adams and bring in confidence of a new ethos that would take us up and keep us up one season.

A lot of comments here are so short sighted, it is important that in the next ten games we get over two points a game to get back on track. Do we think we can. Well this season so far has seen plucky performances and the heads turning on the field that we all saw last season. The ethos needs to change dramatically, fresh leaders.

The decision for adams was met with numbness because the odds on Adams taking us up were pretty ok, but for then the next season in the prem would we have faith in him to keep us up. Of me the answer was no and hence why I met the appointment with numbness, as many of us did.

On reflection and performances we are in amongst it, but having played at a level which certainly does highlight why our players are considered as championship players.

We need to look long term with the appointment and believe who we bring in will get us up and also keep us season 1 in the prem. From then who knows... But I ink that is the question we all need to ask.

Do we think Adams will take us up and keep us up, if yes then he is the right manager if no then he is not right. The board made a decision and mcnally acted on behalf of them to set it up. Too many mistakes with managers, gunn, grant, worthy, roeder etc lets act like we did with gunn and go and get a man who can take us up and keep us up for 1 season.[/quote]The answer to the original question is just 3 people thought Neil Adams could get us back to the premier League and keep us there. Sadly those three people were Delia Smith, Micheal Wynn Jones and David McNally. [*-)]

Although I didn''t want him as manager in the first place, I supported him before the first ball was kicked as well as the after the first game v wolves as the board had chosen him and therefore deserves a good crack at the whip, nevertheless, I thought if we had a weakness, it wasn''t our squad, it would be the staff. Then came the wins and domination of teams, we looked pretty damn good and looking like we could find a few extra gears if need be, credit to the team and Adams. Then came Neil''s idea of changing it and playing two up top, upsetting the rhythm we had, we haven''t recovered. Neil''s now had a fair crack at the whip, now is the time he should really be questioned take responsibility for the poor performances and tactics. With Robson gone and us 10th, things are not rosy. If neil doesn''t win the next two games, I don''t think he''s the right man for the job.

Mrs miggins... Fair points, I would argue that we did not play well in some of those games and individual brilliance saw us pull away in some of those games. Brentford away being one.

But what would keep Neil his job and for how long do you consider him safe.

If he won the next two home games, does that prove he has enough to take us up this year?

I think not, it is the next ten games where we need guarantees or at least the belief that we can get 24 points. With adams stewardship I cannot see that.

But it is the point that after 2 games all will be ok, for what?

That is the bit I don''t get I want a manager in who I belive can change the ethos and take us up and keep us up for that first season as the minimum. That is what we should have been able to look at.

Adams does not fill me with any confidence for next season after the performances this season which are down to his tactics. Does adams fill me with confidence for the rest of the season, no

It is my opinion but I just can''t see what two wins next would achieve in regard to Adams having it for the whole season. I just do not think he has enough to pull us through a long season in a top two position and then in knockout I believe I have seen enough with the 0-0 and lost points to see that over three games we may not beat teams in the play offs.

I was pretty exited about the possible appointment of Neil - unfortunately when it turned out to be Adams and not Lennon that excitement turned to something else. I stated at the time that NA was likely to get us into the playoffs but not automatic promotion. Lots of people expected him to make mistakes - he has, but he also made a good start. He still might get us up, but it''s not looking that way right now. I am with Miggins, the next two games are massive. I don''t get to too many games, but have tickets (via a mate) for the Derby game on December 20th. Not sure that NA will be in charge for that one, but with our board, you never can tell. 

His record in the premier league will mean that he will go down as the worst manager in premier league history

His record in the championship is also deteriorating badly

He should never have been appointed

We need a saviour of biblical proportions if our season is to be saved

But should he stay in a job because he wins a couple of easy home matches ? surely thats the same mistake we made last season with Hughton .Dont see Adams taking us up and as for would he keep us up ? no way he looks like a little boy lost at this level , talks a good game in the press every day but apart from that he has nothing to offer .

Cheap cheap canaries

That is exactly my point, when does it stop giving a few more games.

I am certain they will not be easy but as far as I am concerned he has had too long and has shown he is not up to management of a team gunning for promotion and Premiership football stability.

We are in a good position but all I can see with adams is us looking in at the play offs two- three games out within our own hands and maybe sneaking the play offs. Sorry we cannot afford to let games slip by. Exactly right with Houghton.

The last time to dismiss adams is before Xmas so we can get a manager to use funds to strengthen. But I do not believe he is the man for promotion and to try and keep us up in 2015/16.

smooth wrote the following post at 11/11/2014 11:54 AM:Mrs miggins... Fair points, I would argue that we did not play well in some of those games and individual brilliance saw us pull away in some of those games. Brentford away being one.

But what would keep Neil his job and for how long do you consider him safe.

If he won the next two home games, does that prove he has enough to take us up this year?

I think not, it is the next ten games where we need guarantees or at least the belief that we can get 24 points. With adams stewardship I cannot see that.

But it is the point that after 2 games all will be ok, for what?

That is the bit I don''t get I want a manager in who I belive can change the ethos and take us up and keep us up for that first season as the minimum. That is what we should have been able to look at.

Adams does not fill me with any confidence for next season after the performances this season which are down to his tactics. Does adams fill me with confidence for the rest of the season, no

It is my opinion but I just can''t see what two wins next would achieve in regard to Adams having it for the whole season. I just do not think he has enough to pull us through a long season in a top two position and then in knockout I believe I have seen enough with the 0-0 and lost points to see that over three games we may not beat teams in the play offs.

----------------

Good points smooth. At this point where we are at this turning point for Adams as people decide whether he should go or stay due to our poor form, I think he needs to win the next 2 games to just remain in the job. If he does this and win the games then it doesn''t guarantee (like you say) that we''ll go up, all it means is that we''ve won the previous two games. There will never be any guarantees that any manager will take us up because although it looks like we have the best squad in the championship, we perhaps do not have the best team. What two wins could get you is a sense of momentum, Neil to find his best team for a while as well as a sense of confidence. What two straight wins could also get you is just that, 6 points before we continue on this current form. The fact is the board chose Adams and they think/thought he could take us up, therefore he''ll be given the chance to do that, so if there is a chance of gaining momentum after a period of poor performances and results, then the board will take it. This isn''t like Hughton where they thought he would just be able to keep us up and then sack him at the end of the season, but lost their nerve (how they should''ve either sacked him halfway through the season or at the end of the season), this is about finding form to do the best for the club, not holding on for the sake of it. We need to act if we are going to push up the table, if Neil gets the results, he''s in the job.

Just to clarify - my personal opinion stated elsewhere is that NA has had his chance and should be replaced. I don''t see it working out and would prefer swift action to avoid what happend last season. However, with the sacking of Robson and the statements made it doesn''t appear that the decision-makers are yet ready to replace him (there are many possibilities about what is going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to). It could be, like Miggins states, that the board will be looking closely at the next two home matches. Not saying this is right, but if we win them, he probably earns a bit more time in the eyes of the board - but we don''t know what they are thinking. Always different perceptions about when the time is right (if at all) to sack a manager. Most of us agree Hughton got too much time. It also depends on who is willing and able to replace him. Last year, it appeared (if you believe them) that Delia and co. wanted Hughton out but were not convinced an appropriate replacement was available. But to answer your initial question, did I think NA would take us up - probably not. If he did would he keep us up - probably not. But then, staying in the PL, as the current new crop of clubs are finding out, in no easy task even with well respected managers.

I thought Adams may be able to scrape us up yes because the squad and resources he has at his disposal should have meant we had a significant advantage. I feel that even a mediocre manager should be able to get this lot to finish in the top 6 and a good manager should have us finishing top two without too many dramas. Did i ever think he would be able to keep us up - no not really.

Now i feel that if we persist with Adams the best we can hope for is the playoffs because teams know we are fallible. Obviously playoffs gives us a chance of getting up but as we all know anything can happen in the playoffs.

If we change it now then i still think we could finish top 2.

I thought he''d take us up. I didn''t think with the squad we''ve got that many managers would screw up like we seemingly are doing at the moment.

I dunno about keep us up though. The premiership in my book is a lottery as to who will go down featuring about 10 teams.

My expectation was the south side of mid-table under Adams -which still looks a likely outcome - as against automatic promotion with an experienced manager, the difference between the two represented by the premium you pay for the latter.