Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

Good squad, bad results - what's the solution?

I would be interested to know what other people''s views on how Norwich get their season back on track. Personally I think our squad is of a good quality and the fact Bassong, Becchio, Bennett and Murphy have gone from fringe players at Norwich to first choice in other Championship clubs when on loan is testament to that.However we''ve gone from top of the table and on great form and full of confidence to looking pretty terrible. Adams appears to have continuously changed around the personnel and formations between and during games but does not seem to be able to stop the rot that has set in.The ever present players appear to be Ruddy, R.Martin, Turner, Olsson and Jerome who I don''t think are necessarily the problem either. Neil Adams has tried the policy of sticking with what worked in the hope it will come good and this has failed as well. So the question is, how do we change things? Or can we change things without an overhaul of management coaching structure?

Were we ever in really great form ? most of the wins were achieved from the jaws of likely defeat , those types of comebacks were never going to last all season . I think its as simple as this .keep Adams and we will be playing in this league next season , replace him now and we may just play a level higher . What is really needed is some dynamic new owners surely that cannot be too many years away now .

People better than me know about tactics, but it appears we are not right tactically and haven''t been all season.  The wins we did get were often after falling behind in a match and the fact that we won some earlier on despite that is testament to the ability within the squad, not tactics.    

Any solution imo has to involve  one striker, with a Redmond and/or Murphy in behind to inject some urgency and pace.   They don''t have to be wide all the time and can vary things to cause confusion.   One defensive midfielder with two other midfielders with instructions to cover back too when needed - something we seem to miss.   Terry Venables pyramid always worked well, is solid and with our personnel could look like -Whittaker Martin Turner Ollson                     Howson  Tettey  O''Neill           Redmond   Murphy                   LaffertyI still think Lafferty needs to be given a go up front leading the line, but any of the strikers could do that job imo.   It gives us solidity and gives the front players a chance to go wide or move in, with a better set up for covering in defence.

Wasnt the favoured TV formation called the Christmas tree , not the Pyramid? and was in fact a 4-1-3-1-1. , thats how i remember it anyway. England 4 Holland 1, best England performance in last 20 yrs IMHO.