Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Well said ricky

Oh come on surely you don''t believe that....the anti-football we played never suited his style. This is a guy who was 3rd choice behind RVP and Huntelaar in the Dutch squad...a team that plays nice football and creates chances, but he''s not good enough for norwich! Give him chances and he scores goals unfortunately we never created many chances that season for him to show us.

He''s played two friendlies for Holland between 2010 and 2013 against Ukraine and Indonesia. Not been in the squad again since the latter. Hardly Hollands 3rd choice striker.

I just suggest that we move on from RVW, he did very little for our club and isnt really worth the breath anymore, sorry but that''s how I feel now looking back on his pathetic season :-(

8.5m for RVW was a bargain compared to 3m for Grabban who is total garbage.

We have to hope St Etienne don''t buy him in January, that would mean Adams will have another 6m to waste on doughnuts.

When we got relegated under Worthington he really took the p1ss with the summer signings, but Silly Adams thinks that''s the way forward and buys even worse players.

It was just another case of typical Norwich fans getting excited over a fancy name.

I remember the majority of fans talking about McNally like he was fu*king Houdini for getting RVW "on the cheap". It was as if fans honestly believed McNally went under the radar of every single club in the world and snapped up RVW for peanuts. In reality their would of been plenty of clubs aware of "how cheap" he was, it''s football at the end of the day.

Most Norwich fans hadn''t seen him play but Spurs were linked 4 years prior, and he had 2 Dutch caps. And that''s it we were signing Robin Van Persie junior. All hail David Mcnally.

He had chances to score goals. He didn''t score them.When he didn''t score them he went missing for the rest of the season. In the interview he talks about how its made him mentally stronger. The player I saw in a Norwich shirt wasn''t mentally strong at all and when it came to the crunch he crumbled like a wet cake. It was at times embarrassing to watch him run around like a lost little boy pretending to put a shift in when even he knew he was out of his depth. Good luck to him in France but we all know St etiene won''t stump up the cash for two reasons. 1 they never pay that much for a player and 2 Ricky ain''t worth 6m. We were lucky to get 1.5m on the loan fee as he isn''t worth that for a permanent transfer.

Although he scored a great first goal, although our play didn''t suit any of our strikers, mostly him, he still didn''t help himself - this being a prime example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzE8t3CnPc

Was a poor centre forward and will probably go down as our worst ever signing. He had chances to score goals but never took them, one memorable incident being a chest over the bar from 3 yards when all he had to do was head it in. Yes we played poor football and not to his strengths, whatever they are but he offered nothing.

[quote user="smooth"]He is right we did not build a team around him. We were always playing for 17th each season in the prem as we do not have the financial backing from the board.[/quote]Actually in the interview I''ve seen van Wolfswinkel doesn''t say any of those things, but never mind - facts matter more than words. I make it now that since he moved from the lower-ranked leagues to the big five he has made 24 starts and come on as a sub 16 times, and scored three goals. That is one goal every eight starts and one goal every 13.3 appearances. And at a cost of £9.75m that is £3.25m per goal.

Two sides to every story and all that.

Hughton didn''t know how to get the best out of forwards and create decent attacking football.

But Ricky came up short too.

[quote user="smooth"]He is right we did not build a team around him.[/quote]This has to go down as a contender for the daftest ever Pinkun thread and that has to be the daftest ever opening line. Build a team around our worst ever signing? Really?Please tell us you''re on a wind-up ''smooth'' or at least, looking for a bit of attention, anything else and someone needs to call a doctor. [:S]

Looking at the comments from St-Etienne fans to that interview there is a familiar division of opinion. Some think he will adapt and get better, some think St-Etienne''s apparently defensive style doesn''t suit, him, and some think he is just no good! But there is unanimity on the question of money. There is, they agree, no way St-Etienne will pay £6m for him, on top of the £1.25m for this season. He is not worth that.

lmfao how is there any debate over this whatsoever!?!?!?!he was rubbish, one of the worst strikers to ever grace the top flight of english football, almost 100% definitely in the top ten in regards to valuenot really setting the pi55poor french league on fire is heif he was actually any good he would have had bigger clubs than st Etienne wanting to take him  

Clearly half of you did not read the article that I referred too.

He noted that what was good was the stadium and the fans.

He did not say the players around him had the quality, clearly all our fans can see that the players he were with were not good enough as we went down. Then look at how many left for a better club 2... Just 2

Then look at where we are in this division, rightly where we should be with the calibre of players. With the exception of Redmond not a single one will have a premiership suitor in January. To help the players get 5% more a new manager is needed

He does not mention the training facilities, think we know they are good, but in comparison to across Europe and the rest of the premier league probably mediocre.

Management team, he mentions nothing on that, think we can all agree that targets were missed in the second summer window for Hughton. This led to a management team bringing in players that then didn''t gel and we struggled to find a formation with injuries to hooper and RVW disrupting our start to the season.

He never mentions anything good about the training, I remember an article with tettey where he said it was less rigid than he was used too.

The point of this debate is not the usual was he any good. I think he is, some of you say no. I don''t care. The point raised was more about Ncfc from a player who does not have sour grapes, a player who came here with high expectations and was wasted by our management team, our inept players, our inept systems on the training field.

he never put in a transfer request or stopped his fitness ala Bassong and becchio he was there on day 1 and adams and co gave his number elsewhere as they knew wages had to be dropped, they sold large earners and that was what was highlighted as the reason for the loan and adams new belief.

If we had a manager suitable to get us out of this division and try and keep us in the prem, they would give Ricky a new start at Ncfc, sell him there philosophy and we would have a striker who would have more clout than grabban, lafferty as to who could score goals in the prem.

As it looks he may well move on and we will be stuck in the championship, this post is a current players view on what was missing at the club, leadership, skill, ability in management and playing staff. Yes he may have had his problems, but there is noquestion in the run in stock dale pulled of an amazing save from a header and a few other chances at the very end were saved by keepers legs etc.

Our failings were down to a lack of ability, management and ethos. Changes were needed which have been discussed and this is now a quality player (in the terms of our current crop, none of them will play in Europe apart from Redmond) noting what we all saw.

That is the point of the post the lackings of the club last season and we can clearly see this has continued.

he has long gone; I cant under stand the obsession.

But from his interview he states we played awful football. we did; under both managers. move on you sad people

Except that he didn''t say that. RvW has distanced himself from the article, which was a double translation. A dutchman speaking French to a French reporter who seems to have added another layer of interpretation:

[url]http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/18/norwich-loanee-ricky-van-wolfswinkel-attempts-to-clear-the-air-o/?[/url]

Sometimes we shouldn''t jump the gun on these ''interviews''!

Zippers left foot

You hit the nail on the head we are playing awful football under the current regime and with the current crop who do not look or have performed, as a premiership team who played there for three years. We look like a team at the right level.

Rvw is outlining that, and in order to move on. Ricky doesn''t say it but it is clear he highlights that it is going in one direction and many of us fans feel the same.

The club is not going in the right direction. Changes are needed in manager and personnel levels need to be upped if we are going for automatic promotion and if we are to stay in the top flight.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Except that he didn''t say that. RvW has distanced himself from the article, which was a double translation. A dutchman speaking French to a French reporter who seems to have added another layer of interpretation:

[url]http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/18/norwich-loanee-ricky-van-wolfswinkel-attempts-to-clear-the-air-o/?[/url]

Sometimes we shouldn''t jump the gun on these ''interviews''![/quote]Well that is strange because in the interview with the French paper van Wolfswinkel is asked about some of the criticism he has received since joining St-Etienne and claims he never reads anything that is written about him and doesn''t look at the internet! Obviously he made an exception in this case...But in the interview he is only quoted as making one footballing criticism of Norwich Cityy (as opposed to smooth''s imaginings about the several criticisms he doesn''t make) and that is this:"L’équipe

ne pratiquait pas un bon football."That has been translated into English as not practising (ie training for) good football, but  it can equally mean not playing good football. Either way it is a criticism and it is hard to see how that could end up being mangled in translation by the French paper, it being a fairly simple sentiment. Van Wolfswinkel now seems to be suggesting what he meant was just a different style of football, as opposed to different-worse. Possible. But equally it could be he has woken up today and realised he shouldn''t have used a newspaper article to slag off the club to which he is still contracted.He wouldn''t be the first footballer to have second thoughts about what they''d said and then blame the journalist or the translator.

PSG and (Possibly) Monaco apart the French league is poor quality, Scottish Premiership comparable league.

Ricky was crap.. he didnt score goals because he was crap... he wasn''t wanted by Adams because he was crap. he''s now in a league where (barring the 2 sides above) is league 1 standard... he''s found a level... but 3 goals in over 12 months for any striker is woeful.

Our worst ever player? I would say so

Adams thought he was a better bet than Hooper last season - if I remember rightly. Not sure why he now bangs on about Hooper - unless it''s to drive the price up.

[quote user="FCC"]Adams thought he was a better bet than Hooper last season - if I remember rightly. Not sure why he now bangs on about Hooper - unless it''s to drive the price up.[/quote]How many times has Adams banged on about Hooper being in his plans but will never give him a run of games even while the current strikers miss sitter after sitter . Hooper will almost certainly leave in January and it will be down to an incompetent amateur playing at football manager .

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"][quote user="FCC"]Adams thought he was a better bet than Hooper last season - if I remember rightly. Not sure why he now bangs on about Hooper - unless it''s to drive the price up.[/quote]How many times has Adams banged on about Hooper being in his plans but will never give him a run of games even while the current strikers miss sitter after sitter . Hooper will almost certainly leave in January and it will be down to an incompetent amateur playing at football manager .[/quote]A few things on this comment.1. I''m not really that sold on Gary Hooper who hasn''t really been on form since last December and was, in my opinion, rightly dropped for RVW in the last few games of the 13/14 season.2. To reference the clubs current paid and qualified manager as an "amateur" seems to be something of an oxymoron.

Haha classic english football fans anyone with an ounce of quality in a crap team is rubbish but us english love someone who runs around a lot!!

Don''t get me wrong RVW is not a good fit for the premier league and 8.5m was way over the top but he was only worth what someone was willing to pay.

Saying that I would much rather he be here than grabban and Lafferty that''s for sure

I would still rather have Grabban and Lafferty in this league. An don''t get my wrong, I think both still have a lot to prove but you need the ability to compete physically in the championship. As much as it would be nice to see Ricky come good he would have gotten bullied by defenders.

Dead Canary wrote the following post at 19/11/2014 10:29 PM:

I would still rather have Grabban and Lafferty in this league. An don''t get my wrong, I think both still have a lot to prove but you need the ability to compete physically in the championship. As much as it would be nice to see Ricky come good he would have gotten bullied by defenders.

There it is again!

I am not defending RvW at all, although I feel he would have been far better suited to a far better style of football than we played last season but to say that he would have gotten bullied by defenders, implying that Championship defenders are that more physical than the Premiership, is complete rubbish.

Tell me which Championship defenders are more physical than Terry, Shawcross, Huth, Cahill, Demichelis, Kompany, Mertesacker or Kaboul, to name just a few.

It is a myth that the Championship is more physical!

I never said the championship is more physical than the premiership. How ever the biggest reason he went missing last season was because he could not cope with that element of the game. This would have been picked up by championship managers and players and they would have targeted him and just kicked him out of the game. It''s not like Ricky had anything about him that was exceptional to make up for that lack. He wasn''t quick so would never have been able to just out pace players, his movement wasn''t that impressive either so I don''t think he would have found space in that way, I don''t recall him ever beating his man. On the evidence of what I saw last season I can''t see what he would have added to the team. What did you see Yellow Wall to suggest that he would have given us and improved us as a team?

This all just seems to me another Cody, Fox, Becchio syndrome where because things are not going well at the moment someone not playing for the club would have solved all our problems.

I think the first few words of my reply sums it up ... "I am not defending RvW at all".

He was disappointing last season but I saw enough to think he may have been better suited to a different style of play.

At the end of the day he is an international player with the team that are currently ranked 5th in the world whilst England is 20th. Regardless of whom he secured his caps against he must have something about him for the Dutch management team to select him as I know of very few poor Dutch internationals.

I am happy to wait and see what happens with his career.

As to the physicality of the Championship, I can accept that you did not say that it was, although many posters on this forum have made that assertion.

Perhaps I read that inference in your post when in fact it wasn''t there!