Sign in to follow this  
Jakesacanary

Mike Phelan.......

[quote user="daly"]

No idea if he is the answer but would have liked a complete clear out and gone for Eddie Howe, funny how no one wanted him since the Man U days. Not sure if this is a great move but from his point of view after 18 months on the dole it''s better than stacking shelves at Aldi.

PS Never seemed very involved at Man U apart from feeding Mr Misery chewing gum

[/quote]

Famously claimed to be the main mover behind ManUtd''s success.  Not a small ego then.  Should be interesting if he disagrees with Adams...

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]I wonder what Adams'' and Phelan''s respective salaries are?

Interesting scenario for the next few weeks. If results pick up presumably Adams is safe. If they don''t pick up does that mean that Phelan is having no effect in which case could the Board realistically give him the No. 1 job?[/quote]

This is the most interesting post on here for several days.

Read into this what you will...

Just read the first couple of pages of this thread, oh how i laughed.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="Barry Brockes"]I wonder what Adams'' and Phelan''s respective salaries are?

Interesting scenario for the next few weeks. If results pick up presumably Adams is safe. If they don''t pick up does that mean that Phelan is having no effect in which case could the Board realistically give him the No. 1 job?[/quote]

This is the most interesting post on here for several days.

Read into this what you will...[/quote]

This appointment opens a can of worms.  Be successful and things will be ok, because we will go into the premiership with an experienced coach for that level.  Things go badly and where do we go from there........they would presumably both have to go.  The hope is obviously that we do well........

It also begs the question as to why Phelan wasn''t approached to be the manager before Adams was appointed. Of course he may have been and it might just not have happened for one reason or another but no one can argue that his CV is much stronger than Adams''. On the other hand perhaps Manchester isn''t considered as being in Europe so wasn''t included in the scouring!

Adams is a lame duck manager and with every dropped point Phelan will no doubt be expecting to take over the helm. We''ll go from a radio commentator with no real managerial experience to a Hughton-like coach with no managerial experience. Just because he was Fergie''s assistant doesn''t make him any good, else football dinosaur Walter Smith would have been a man in demand.Phelan doesn''t solve the problem of having a radio commentator in charge, and people have short memories of Phelan''s epic failure when he was last here under Megson. We have three ex-players in charge, a replay of the Gunn situation except we''re given a false sense of security by Phelan''s former association.Delia and McNasty have devised a perfect recipe for heading back to League One. Instead of reviving the footballing ethos, we''ve got the same old vacuous PR. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for a slow and torturous decline.

After many years of following this club under the ownership of Winnie, Delia and the rest of the luvvies on the board I will say the appointment of Mike Phelan has me (very) cautiously optimistic. Everyone has been crying out for us to employ a more experienced member on the coaching staff. Well employing a coach with 12 years experience at arguably the most successful football club in Europe during that time, with 5 of those years spent as assistant to the most successful manager in the 150 years of competitive football ticks that box for me. I hope this is just the catalyst to help us kick on and push for that automatic promotion back to the Premier League.

true trevor, i''m just waiting for 1touch and cheap to come out of the woodwork telling me that Phelan is a terrible coach and should be shot...or something of that nature

The club''s PR moves are obviously being lapped up by the usual plastics. Grabban was supposed to be a goal machine, Adams the next Stringer. Now get ready for the usual suspects to be hyping a top two finish in the wake of Phelan''s arrival. In reality we''ll be lucky to make the playoffs, and once the parachute payments have ended we''ll eventually be left with little to prevent another relegation.

was he meant to be a goal machine or did we buy him because it looked like a good idea as he scored over 20 goals and when....actually why am i bothering?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]true trevor, i''m just waiting for 1touch and cheap to come out of the woodwork telling me that Phelan is a terrible coach and should be shot...or something of that nature[/quote]

It''s bound to happen any minute now.................!!

Some people. How this isn''t a coup for us I just don''t understand. Unless of course they stink of the sludge at the bottoms of the bin.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]was he meant to be a goal machine or did we buy him because it looked like a good idea as he scored over 20 goals and when....actually why am i bothering?[/quote]We bought him because we have a clueless radio commentator making the decisions instead of a football manager. Plastics and ''Football Manager'' players cheered when we bought this donkey.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]agreed.. when we "scoured Europe" why was Phelan not appointed then?[/quote]

Why are quoting something that wasn''t said? #factcheck

[/quote]
said by our very own board on Radio Norfolk... been confirmed many times on here

[quote user="mrs miggins"]true trevor, i''m just waiting for 1touch and cheap to come out of the woodwork telling me that Phelan is a terrible coach and should be shot...or something of that nature[/quote]Phelan is an upgrade on Robson yes, but Miggins the problem at this club is the manager and he is still here only more undermined than ever , any success will now be attributed to his No2 anymore failure will be down to him . The most worrying thing about todays appointment is when Adams finally goes we wont even be able to dream about an experienced successor because Phelan will be promoted and he has less managerial experience than Adams .

[quote user="mrs miggins"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ40-226qwk&list=UUzdkZv6--BWsUQ9rKUtQ1TQ[/quote]Am I the only person who thought Adams'' reaction when asked the first (and obvious) question was a bit odd? Looked like a sharp intake of breath and raised eyebrows to me. Phelan waiting in the wings to dispatch Adams?

Hughton worked under some acclaimed managers, I remember all the plastics wetting themselves at his so-called managerial ''pedigree'' and the ''coup'' McNasty had pulled off in getting him. If Phelan became manager I could see a similar disasterous outcome. We''re going down the route of chopping and changing with poor/inexperienced appointments. Last time it lead to League One, something that many plastics would look forward to as it''s our only chance of title winning glory.

But we''re talking Ferguson and United here. We may hate them, I get that, but to discount Phelan''s achievements is absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion. Hughton''s previous tenures pale into insignificance. We''re talking about achievements at the very highest levels, and to ignore Phelan''s contacts and, as NA said, the respect that will be afforded to MP cannot be discounted. Phelan would not have accepted this appointment if he was not comfortable with working with NA, and I think his opinion on that is more important than all of ours put together.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Razor Blade"]But we''re talking Ferguson and United here. We may hate them, I get that, but to discount Phelan''s achievements is absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion. Hughton''s previous tenures pale into insignificance. We''re talking about achievements at the very highest levels, and to ignore Phelan''s contacts and, as NA said, the respect that will be afforded to MP cannot be discounted. Phelan would not have accepted this appointment if he was not comfortable with working with NA, and I think his opinion on that is more important than all of ours put together.[/quote]In that case it would have made more sense to bring Phelan in as manager. Instead of being managed by the man who organised the team for Fergie, we''ve got the man who organised the sandwiches and bovril for Roy Waller.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Razor Blade"]And, as someone sensibly suggested back in this thread, maybe MP doesn''t want to manage. Another of the imponderables........[/quote]He was looking to manage after he got kicked out of Man U, but nobody wanted him until McNasty gave him a ring. If he doesn''t succeed Adams then he''ll be off if someone does offer him a managerial job.

"mrs miggins"

true trevor, i''m just waiting for 1touch and cheap to come out of the woodwork telling me that Phelan is a terrible coach and should be shot...or something of that nature

This forum is far too predictable.