Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

Why don't we take our chances

Even the greatest critic of the manager could not say that we didn''t create chances today. We created and missed loads,and many more near opportunities where the ball just didn''t drop or a ball in was just missed.

We all ( pretty much) seem to agree that we have a very good squad for this division, if that''s the case then why can''t we finish more off?

well surely where we can be critical of the manager is leaving our best finisher on the bench in Hooper instead of out of the pitch to be on the end of these chances......Hooper should have been in the side instead of the out of form Grabban 5 or 6 weeks ago.

I can only assume you are talking about the second half as we created very little in the first half. Our first goal came from a winger getting to the byline and getting a cross into the box (Adams take note please). The only chance i felt was missed was the header (from a cross into the box after the winger had got to the byline - Adams take note please, please please). The sooner we attack at pace and stop this pedestrian sideways backwards passing in the midfield the better. I am sure our possession stats look great, unfortunately our points tally is less impressive........

I agree GJL that Hooper deserved a run a few weeks ago, dispite 5 goals in 4 games early on,Grabban has been going through a barren patch and we have stuck with him too long. I don''t think we are making best use of the squad.

We scored 3 goals today, the problem is the defensive shape of the team. We shouldn''t be conceding the goals that we are doing. You can''t really make that the issue when we''ve scored some good goals and created a few chances, that is not how we''ve dropped the points.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]We scored 3 goals today, the problem is the defensive shape of the team. We shouldn''t be conceding the goals that we are doing. You can''t really make that the issue when we''ve scored some good goals and created a few chances, that is not how we''ve dropped the points.[/quote]

I agree, I think this frustration about missing chances comes from seeing other teams creating a lot less against us but looking more incisive by converting those chances where in reality a lot of it is we don''t concentrate defensively as a team, someone crucial is usually ball watching.

While we should have been of sight in most games for it not to make a difference, we''ve let in far too many soft goals this season - it was astonishing how the guy was given space in the penalty area for their second, for instance. It does seem that our guys are less likely to throw themselves in the way/get in last ditch tackles than over recent seasons (Bassong, for his faults, was great at this), and Ruddy certainly doesn''t look as ''unbeatable'' as I''d have hoped.

Your points about defensive frailty are absolutely right, but it doesn''t explain why we fail to score more. That''s what I really can''t work out, I was sitting there yesterday watching Laffs, Hooper, Murphy warming up in front of me thinking if they were Brighton players they may well be starters in their team, we do have riches but still waste so many oppertunities,

I wonder if it''s about pressure?

[quote user="Jenkins"]Your points about defensive frailty are absolutely right, but it doesn''t explain why we fail to score more. That''s what I really can''t work out, I was sitting there yesterday watching Laffs, Hooper, Murphy warming up in front of me thinking if they were Brighton players they may well be starters in their team, we do have riches but still waste so many oppertunities,

I wonder if it''s about pressure?[/quote]

I thInk a lot comes down to the different mentality needed/expected to get the result. We are currently one of the big teams status wise in the division thus were expected to take the game to the opposition that means a focus on attacking, unfortunately we can''t find a balance between that and being focused defensively. The opposition in most cases will come with the idea of keeping it tight and waiting for us the cock it up, which having watched us play will know its never to far away. I agree we need to put chances away, but to be fair to the attacking players how many teams are gifting us easy chances, like we do for the opposition.