Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Brighton

The woolly hat and gloves were not needed this afternoon for it was a very mild and damp day here at CR and should have been ideal for a good match. Unfortunately the first half never seemed to get out of first gear. City started with a foray down either flank but in both cases the cross was not good enough to trouble the Brighton defenders. Olsson got a free kick on target after four or five minutes but it was straight down Stockdale''s throat. Brighton looked set up to contain as so many who come here seem to do and there wasn''t much for Ruddy to do but field a couple of long shots.City were dominating possession as usual but the final ball was taking ages to come in and when it did it invariably found a defender in the way. It was all pretty pedestrian stuff and the time wasting over kicks and throws was making it a frustrating game to watch. At the half hour mark I happened to remark to my son that Brighton hadn''t been a danger but in the light of recent games they would be likely to score out of nothing. Clairvoyance is indeed a curse as hardly were the words out of my mouth when a rare cross from the left beat the City defence and left Bruno with a simple chance to plant a header across Ruddy and just inside the far post. Amazing how they always creep just inside the post and never just past.Thankfully City were able to lift the gloom fairly quickly when Martin put in Redmond down the right and his cross was met firmly by Johnny Howson at the near post. Stockdale got a hand to it but could not prevent the goal. The crowd were now back onside and City almost snatched a halftime lead when Howson''s shot from the edge of the box flew just over.The second period was a different game as City turned up the wick from the off, earning a quick corner on the right. Brighton seemed to eventually smuggle it clear after a bit of argee-bargee, but the ball fell kindly for Russell Martin 30 yards out. His powerful drive was unstoppable and at last we began to feel that the tide had turned.It was all City now and in the the next fifteen minutes chance after chance was created and squandered. Jerome somehow failed to convert a peach of a cross from Redmond. Then the mercurial little City winger brought a fine block out of Stockdale as he forged into the box. Again, Jerome could not turn the loose ball into the net. Johnson picked off a cross field pass and raced forward with City in a three on one situation. He chose to shoot and to be fair it looked a certain goal until Stockdale hurled himself to the right to palm away brilliantly. The game could and should have been put to bed quite comfortably but it was deja vu all over again on 66 minutes as Brighton, who to be fair had looked neat and tidy although lightweight, managed to conjour up an equaliser. There seemed no danger when Lua Lua picked up the ball wide on the left but somehow he was allowed room to improve the angle and his low shot beat Ruddy in the far corner.Incredible that we need twice as many shots to score as the opposition yet they always seem to find something out of nothing that ends up in the corner of the net. Worse was soon to follow because as City committed more men forward Brighton broke quickly and a nice ball into the box invited a trip from Hooiveld and needless to say Colunga had no trouble beating Ruddy from the spot. At this stage I thought it had gone, however Hooper came on for the ineffectual Grabban and Lafferty for Hooiveld as City went three at the back.City piled on the pressure and with five minutes left Hooper netted a goal that only Hooper could score. The ball spun to him on the left edge of the box and he seemed to control it in a flash and the ball arrowed into the near corner before Stockdale could move. It was all helter skelter in the closing minutes but when Johno saw red for clipping Gardner''s heels the game petered out into a draw.So ended what the neutral might think of as an exciting game but I confess it was one of continued frustration for me. Twenty three shots with ten on target ought to win you any game yet somehow we find a way to chuck points down the drain when they should have been safely banked.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Thanks Ricardo. What were the fans like at the end - was there much anger shown, or relief at a point when none looked likely? 

[/quote]I think we were relieved to get a point but there was a bit of booing at my end, (Nwch & PBoro.We are all sick of seeing the same game replayed for the last two months. Only the shirt colours change.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at the pedestrian pace of our attacks, the obsession with backwards/sideways possession in midfield rather than getting the ball out to the wing, down the byline and into the box. Grabban should have been repaced earlier as should Johnson. Another two points dropped at home, now further behind the "two points per game" target required for promotion, lets hope Mr Phelan is the catalyst for a 10/12 match unbeaten run......

Frustration is exactly right Rickyyyy. Although I''m still celebrating Russ''s strike and eventually that will be all we remember from the game.

I''ve quickly read some threads on here and it seems everybody blames whoever they usually blame. Whether that be Neil Adams, Bradley Johnson, Delia Smith or even us happy clapping fans. I must admit I''m at a loss as to what is actually wrong. All I can say is that the players are probably better than their team performance. Rather like those three great season''s from 2009 where the team performance was probably better than the players. But I can''t give you a tangible reason why that should be. Is it a matter of belief?

What summed today and several weeks up for me was when we bought Lafferty on for Hooivled and Olson just stood there looking at Turner and Martin with a does anybody know what were doing? expression. At the end we were chasing the game to the point that Turner was being left one on one with their forward. Pathetic for a home game for a team that is supposed to be one of the favourites. Adams really should be gone this week end. Time for the club to be officially put up for sale to see if we can attract new owners with fresh ideas.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Frustration is exactly right Rickyyyy. Although I''m still celebrating Russ''s strike and eventually that will be all we remember from the game.

I''ve quickly read some threads on here and it seems everybody blames whoever they usually blame. Whether that be Neil Adams, Bradley Johnson, Delia Smith or even us happy clapping fans. I must admit I''m at a loss as to what is actually wrong. All I can say is that the players are probably better than their team performance. Rather like those three great season''s from 2009 where the team performance was probably better than the players. But I can''t give you a tangible reason why that should be. Is it a matter of belief?

[/quote]It''s the results we are complaining about, the performances are pretty decent but they are not being reflected by the results. I can''t recall a season where we have been so dominant and had so many shots on goal but somehow we don''t get the right result. When you think of the Charlton game. the Leeds game and again today, they have one sniff and its in the corner. I''ve never known this sort of thing to go on for so long.

I wouldn''t say we were dominant today. Brighton were always a threat and deserved that point at the vey least.

[quote user="JF"]I wouldn''t say we were dominant today. Brighton were always a threat and deserved that point at the vey least.[/quote]23 shots with 10 on target says we were.They played some decent passing but were largely powder puff. They got a point thanks to a pen and our failure to put away a hat full of acceptable chances. It should have been all done and dusted before the hour mark.

To a degree Rickyyy. But there''s something g in the performance that''s lacking. You said you could script it and I can too. The result at home has rarely reflected the play but you can''t continue to feel unlucky. I have lost my belief to the point that I fear a goal every time we''re attacked and when we get in front I feel we won''t hold on. That''s why I ask if its the teams belief. Do they believe they will win?

Disagree with that. Stats can say anything you want them to.We were lucky to go in at the break on level terms after a pathetically lacklustre first half display. Then we began the second far better and after Martin scored we should have killed the game off in the following 10 minutes of domination but didn''t. Apart from that 10-15 minutes of domination after our 2nd Brighton were always looking a threat and always looked likely to take at least a point away.

If you want to label ''powder puff'' at any team out there today then it was ours for our inability to kill off the opposition yet again.

I think Adams quickly realised the fans did not want a repeat of Hughton''s organised defensive style and has encouraged individuals to express themselves and attack. This was evidenced early in the season when players such as Johnson when they found themselves in an attacking position in the opponents half continued with the attack. I would agree with these tactics but what has gone wrong is that we have not organised backup cover - hence the number of breakaway goals we have conceded. I believe we still have existing players capable of achieving promotion but we need to show more teamwork, passion and urgency. In the early part of most games we are not starting with any great purpose and not applying pressure. The great "Grant Holt enthusiasm" is sorely missed. As Ricardo states it is difficult to see exactly why we are not getting the deserved results. Apart from Middlesborough it has always appeared that we are quite comfortable against what are very mediocre teams.

[quote user="JF"]Disagree with that. Stats can say anything you want them to.We were lucky to go in at the break on level terms after a pathetically lacklustre first half display. Then we began the second far better and after Martin scored we should have killed the game off in the following 10 minutes of domination but didn''t. Apart from that 10-15 minutes of domination after our 2nd Brighton were always looking a threat and always looked likely to take at least a point away.

If you want to label ''powder puff'' at any team out there today then it was ours for our inability to kill off the opposition yet again.[/quote]My opinion is no more valid than yours. I have said it as I have seen it and no doubt some will agree while others disagree.City conceded some weak goals but it was Stockdale chucking himself about and the Brighton defence scrambling stuff away where most of the action was.

Correct Ricardo it''s just our own opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs. I just felt today was very different to the other games you mentioned that we dominated. Those teams sat back with no attacking intent and we did dominate them. Brighton came and had a go and I think deserved the point they took with them. The others didn''t.

[quote user="JF"]Correct Ricardo it''s just our own opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs. I just felt today was very different to the other games you mentioned that we dominated. Those teams sat back with no attacking intent and we did dominate them. Brighton came and had a go and I think deserved the point they took with them. The others didn''t.[/quote]whether they deserved it or not is arguable but the certainly seemed happy with what they got.We all like to see plenty of attacking intent and largely thats what we''ve had this season but right now I''d be happy to see an untidy and lucky three points.

If you score 3 goals away from home you deserve something out of that game.

That''s far too simplistic. We were easily the more dominant side today, perhaps less so than a couple of other of our frustrating recent games, but still made enough to have won two matches; three goals hugely flattered Brighton.

It is hard to pinpoint precisely what is up, but conceding 9 in three rather suggests where it lies. Today our defence and midfield was made up of ''PL'' players but didn''t look it, three poor goals conceded.

I kind of agree with JF in that I thought Brighton always carried a threat, just before they scored I commented that I thought they looked more likely to score and felt that goal had been coming. Yet another team struggling for form/points leaves CR with a point, and yet again a side looked to hit us on the break (quickly).

Whilst it is important to keep the ball you also need to hurt the opposition, we need to concentrate more on attacking at pace and less on the backwards/sideways passing (slowly).

We look more threatening when we get down the wings, and get the ball into the box.

Two key moments for me today, at 2-1 we had an opportunity to break quickly (Grabban was in acres of space) and we chose to slow down, pass the ball four or five times sideways/backwards.......WHY!!!???? Brighton got a free kick and they took it quickly, looking to hit us on the break.

I think it is far to simplistic to say three poor goals conceded, Brighton always carried a threat and we never really looked comfortable.

I am sure our possession stats are impressive, what they do not show is how slow we are and the direction the passes were going, the important stat is another two points dropped at home and nine points off the two points per game average required for automatic promotion. The bare bones of it is we need to start winning more games at home........

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]That''s far too simplistic. We were easily the more dominant side today, perhaps less so than a couple of other of our frustrating recent games, but still made enough to have won two matches; three goals hugely flattered Brighton.

It is hard to pinpoint precisely what is up, but conceding 9 in three rather suggests where it lies. Today our defence and midfield was made up of ''PL'' players but didn''t look it, three poor goals conceded.[/quote]

I can''t get it out of my mind that we have almost the same players in the team as over two years ago.   Martin/Turner/Howson/Tettey/Johnson.  The core of our midfield and defence and who play nearly every week.   A midfield that has struggled to create and defence that struggles to keep out goals. Wes, who if fit would be another  long serving member - and part of a team that has struggled to gell.   If they were doing well, I''d have no complaints - but they are not getting results - and where is the variation or progress in midfield?   O''Neill should be playing, surely? Some variation out wide would be good too - Josh, Jacob  would be good options (why he''s being successful at a different club in the same division instead of ours, I don''t know - if he''s good enough for the championship he should be playing for us) . 

Ricardo many thanks as usual for your report.

We continue to struggle to start at a quick enough tempo and also to sustain performance levels.

I now hope that when Phelan does come in he is listened to, because if he is, there will certainly be radical changes in team selection, tactics and decision making.

Thankfully. other derby those around us are also dropping points, so we have have time to recover.......let''s just get Reading out of the way without any damage now......and that I guarantee we will make difficult.....