Sign in to follow this  
The Polar Bears Made Me Do It

Motion to re-appoint Stephen Fry as a director

Just opened my copy of the annual accounts/notification of AGM. One of the motions is to re-appoint Fry and McNasty. Sure the latter will go through unanimously. But what about Fry. Other than the odd tweet what does he do? I''ll be voting against his re-appointment. Will anyone else (a question to shareholders)

Think I will join you in that Polar. He has attended only 1 AGM since he became a director, and even then he left after about half an hour.I would love to know how many board meetings he has attended and if any, what his input has been.Its not as if he has put any serious money into gaining his posistion on the board.Seems to me his only criteria in being a director ,is that he is one of Delia''s buddies.

I shall be voting against the motion. I have never bought into the Twitter value justification. I suspect his value is in ensuring that split board votes go the right way.

He''s as meritorious as that prized plonker Russell Brand.

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Is this thread for real?[/quote]Considering who started it, probably not.

As mentioned he got up and left the AGM when he was elected onto the Board, to the very best of my knowledge and memory I''ve not seen him at one since.

No idea about Board Meetings as obviously that''s not something we are privy to.

Personally I''d much rather there was a fans representative on the Board as I believe bith for our own club and indeed every club in the country it would provide a valuable checking mechanism.

[quote user="Levi Stubbs"]Think I will join you in that Polar. He has attended only 1 AGM since he became a director, and even then he left after about half an hour.I would love to know how many board meetings he has attended and if any, what his input has been.Its not as if he has put any serious money into gaining his posistion on the board.Seems to me his only criteria in being a director ,is that he is one of Delia''s buddies. [/quote]Unlike some of the directors Fry has to earn a living. He frequently works nights and frequently works abroad. Last winter he had a 16-week stint on Broadway. It is not surprising that he cannot always attend the AGM, or every board meeting. But there are nowadays ways of contributing to meetings and decision-making without being in the room.

Not sure of the value or not of Stephen Fry however we are extremely lucky at Norwich to have at least 4 avid fans on the board, three of which are prepared to back the club with large amounts of their personal wealth. Rather that than some random fan with nothing to lose.

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]Why would it not be "for real"? What is the point if having some random celeb luvvie on the board of a football club?[/quote]

random ?he''s from Norfolk, lives here and supports the clubhow is that random ?

but they do not have his ''star quality''or anyone with that ''star quality'' does not have those other three attributesso he is not randomnor I doubt does he have a great deal of influence over those who do, as you say, know jack about footballnow why not calm done, look up your old login details and come back as that person again

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]You seem to turn all giddy snd damp-eyed at the whiff (stench?) of celebrideeeee. Do you think we should add Jimmy Krankee to the board?[/quote]

oh dearI''m sure you weren''t this angry when you were posting under your other name(s)

The thousands of others would probably scrape together a few quid, a bag of humbugs and a dozen conkers coupled with less knowledge of running a football club!

I will be at the AGM and I will certainly not vote for him. He is simply a "celebrity" and I cannot see that he brings anything to the Club. I find it difficult to suggest that he has any qualities to be a director of a Football Club. Albeit that there are many similar characters who have found there way on to the Boards of other Clubs. I accept he is often away on various projects and is unable to attend meetings, but then he should resign for that reason. There must be a long standing supporter who would be a far better choice.

[quote user="vos"]I will be at the AGM and I will certainly not vote for him. He is simply a "celebrity" and I cannot see that he brings anything to the Club. I find it difficult to suggest that he has any qualities to be a director of a Football Club. Albeit that there are many similar characters who have found there way on to the Boards of other Clubs. I accept he is often away on various projects and is unable to attend meetings, but then he should resign for that reason. There must be a long standing supporter who would be a far better choice.[/quote]

What could a long standing fan bring to the board that Mr Fry couldn''t? Do you even know, or anyone know, what he brings to the board or is he just the easiest target?

I cant see the re appointment of Stephen Fry being put to a full vote of shareholders, he was elected to the board by the board.The same goes for McNally, hired by the board not by a shareholders vote at an AGM.

Of course it will be. It''s at the end of next month.

Now I remember a similar campaign against Delia and MJW. About 30 like minded shareholders, many who posted on here, got together and about 30 hands went up not to re-elect them.

Imagine if one of them were elected to the board!

It''s the third motion at the AGM. Directors have to stand down in rotation and seek reelection. This year it''s the turn of McNally and Fry. In reality, Delia''s block vote will always win the day. But if hands are raised to show displeasure with Fry''s reelection it will hopefully bring this to the notice of the cosy little board.

Up the revolution comrades!

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Can you imaging what the papers would say if he was voted off the board ? Our friendly club would become evil ! [/quote]The worrying thing is, you''re probably right!"Evil Norfolk club FIRST sack black Manager THEN sack gay Director. What next???"

You see here''s what I don''t get. Has the club suffered through having Fry on the board? Surely since he came in the club has gone from strength to strength as emphasised in the accounts recently published. If Shareholders feel upset or let down by performances on the pitch or either team manager and player recruitment then surely McNally should be the focus of this ''protest vote''. Unless there are ulterior motives to protest against Fry''s position on our board. If so then maybe a bit of honesty wouldn''t go a miss. At least Wiz had the balls to say it.

Actually NN I think you''ll find that some of the open dissent the Majority Sharehildersa came in for at an AGM a few years ago came from none other than our Chairman.

From recollection he was a non-exec director holding some Preference Shares from the first share issue, took £25k''s worth and raised some strong questions of them.