Sign in to follow this  
The Polar Bears Made Me Do It

Motion to re-appoint Stephen Fry as a director

Maybe you should look at Stephen Fry''s cv to see if he''s a pointless celebrity.

The summer of 2009 is perhaps a useful reference point for this discussion, it''s easy to forget just how far the club has come and indeed how perilously close it came to a very different fate.

At this point the ''esoteric'' card gets played as seemingly its heresy to suggest the appointment of the Chairman was integral to retaining the faith and continued support of the clubs stakeholders, it really was.

Let''s not forget there wasn''t even a quorum in place, Gunn was reappointed, the rebates were being pulled, things were on the very cusp and the club was on the bring of administration.

Of course we can look back now with a huge sense of pride in our club and just how far it''s come but im equally sure that football in general will see a major causality in the near future, QPR following Caterham seems entirely likely.

So why then is this relevant to Fry''s reappointment? Arguably it isn''t but I simply couldn''t countenance is presence on board being favourable to an elected supporter and when I say elected I mean elected by the support.

As a case in point it''d be favourable if the Chairman of the Independent Supporters Club had a place on The Board of Directors and as such provide what I have described previously, a checking mechanism between the clubs governance and its support.

There will be a time in the future when the current majority owners decide to call it a day, in no way is this a criticism , it is a fact. They like all of us will one day will decide to hang their boots up so then what? None of us know what their intentions are, possibly their shareholding might be left in trust for the support, who knows but there will come a time when the current structure changes.

None of this is even a direct criticism of Stephen Fry, I regard one of his finest hours as the Intelligence Squared debate ''Catholicism on trial'' he held with the late Christopher Hitchens. He is a great national asset with much of the work that he does but personally I''d far rather have a set of watchful eyes on the Board both this year, in ten years time, twenty years time and so on.

Does Fry need a seat on the board to represent Norwich City? I''d prefer a football person eg someone like Dave Stringer on the board instead of Fry, with Fry being given some other non-board position. Fry has only had a peripheral role regarding the present mess we''re in and the blame for the club being a rudderless ship lies elsewhere.There has at least been an attempt to change, but most of the actions taken to arrest the slide look to be nothing more than token efforts, empty management buzzwords and the usual PR rubbish. It''s a concern that there seems to be little fan input except for informal arrangements such as McNasty popping into the Nelson to meet with a select group of fawning happy clappers after matches.The general disorganisation probably extends beyond the board, but the failures have been so catastrophic that only a root and branch purge of the various spivs and media darlings would yield results. A sad fact is that the people who have dug us into this hole are thousands of pounds better off for having done so.Fry isn''t the reason Norwich City are in crisis, instead you need to look towards Delia and her clueless friends.

All fair points made well Greeno. And surely you will have an opportunity to put them forward at the AGM. But I don''t see how they make a difference to whether Fry is re-elected to the board as it is now.

Nutty Nigel wrote: ........Surely since he came in the club has gone from strength to strength as emphasised in the accounts .........

This correlation does not prove cause and effect.

Oh make no mistake, not for one moment do I think he won''t be reappointed rather I''d like to see a place (possibly his or the Bob Carolgees looking one) being made for an elected representative.

Truth be told I''ve not even looked to see when it is as the last few years have been like going to church and asking who believes in God but it''s always worth a trip up the A11 just for the comedy value.

To say I was there when Roeder-Gate unravelled with the England Manager howler, what a night that was. The old boy Cameron Newark - I think that''s his name but don''t put it into an anagram generator- is normally comedy gold then there''s always the chance of some 5* Fen Gibbonery

"Can the Away Supporters buses park nearer to the Jarrold as its dark and I get wet feet. I don''t like getting wet feet."

"I nearly got hit by a ball during the warmup and the club need to do something about it"

" Are there going to be any signings?"

Make no mistake the Club''s AGM usually has me in stitches and God knows how the directors keep a straight face at times.

All that''s true too Greeno. But even so called sensible supporters have me in stitches too. Youtalk about where we were in 2009 and iI think back to St Andrews Hall and some of the stuff we said at that meeting. Definitely has me in stitches now. But looking back there were no decent suggestiins for moving the club forward. Just a load of letting off steam looking back. The best minds that the independent supporters group could put together came up with nothing. While this was going on the owners were hard at work appointing McNally and persuading Bowkett to come on board.

Blimey! I can''t keep up on my phone! No you haven''t Greeno. You''ve just said you''d like an elected fan on the board. Why does Fry have to make way for this fan? And why vote him out when the option you want isn''t available?

Ah yes but St Andrews Hall was one of those nights that you need to have in your collection of "I was there".

The ''Chase Out'' riot on Carrow Rd, 1-5 at Portman Rd, Milan, 6-0 at Fulham, 1-7 to Col Who, promotion at Portsmouth, these are the Badges of Honour that go with supporting the club.

Technically speaking at the time of St Andrews Hall the remnants of the Board were hidden well underground in the Club Shop fallout bunker rehiring Gunn and luring Roger Munby back to make sure they still had four directors, that naughty little quorum! Poor bugger had thought he''d escaped as well.

[quote user="Bury Green"]As a case in point it''d be favourable if the Chairman of the Independent Supporters Club had a place on The Board of Directors and as such provide what I have described previously, a checking mechanism between the clubs governance and its support.[/quote]I don''t think there is such an organisation.

There will be a time in the future when the current majority owners decide to call it a day, in no way is this a criticism , it is a fact. They like all of us will one day will decide to hang their boots up so then what?(quote from Bury Green)

As a deeply religious person Delia might leave her shares to the catholic church.

We could end up being owned by one of the wealthiest corporates in the world...and Italian at that

Ok nothing to do with Fry but an attractive thought!

It''d be a fair assumption that he wouldn''t be in the Board for long if the Holy See find themselves owning a football club in Norfolk.

Actually there''d be a good chance they''d kick off a whole new Inquisition just for him.

A very painful one at that

But he already is a director and you readily admit you don''t know what that entails. Has he done something to harm the club in his time on the board.

Greeno, technically those things were before St Andrews hall and were discussed at the meeting. At the same time as that was happening the owners were going after mMcNally and courting bowkett.

Butler, you''re right that scenario has nothing to do with whether Fry is fit to be reelected. Is he?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But he already is a director and you readily admit you don''t know what that entails. Has he done something to harm the club in his time on the board. Greeno, technically those things were before St Andrews hall and were discussed at the meeting. At the same time as that was happening the owners were going after mMcNally and courting bowkett. Butler, you''re right that scenario has nothing to do with whether Fry is fit to be reelected. Is he?[/quote]

My word you are in a serious mood![:D]

Is he fit to be reelected, don''t think that''s ever been the question.

Should he be ,now only those who elected him in the first place can answer that and as they hold the control, there is a reasonable quess that he will remain.

Is there anyone better, probably but they might not want to.

In the end what ever is decided will have very little effect on you or me.

The Op is entitled to his opinion and to canvas support on an open forum that only Archant can stop and they haven''t questioned him yet.

If you read the original post I simply stated that I will be voting against his re-election and asked, out of interest, if anyone else was planning to do the same. This is not a co-ordinated campaign aimed at garnering support for anything. I couldn''t care less how others vote, the outcome will be the same. I am interested to know, however, if there are others who do disagree with this pandering to celebrities.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]All that''s true too Greeno. But even so called sensible supporters have me in stitches too. Youtalk about where we were in 2009 and iI think back to St Andrews Hall and some of the stuff we said at that meeting. Definitely has me in stitches now. But looking back there were no decent suggestiins for moving the club forward. Just a load of letting off steam looking back. The best minds that the independent supporters group could put together came up with nothing. While this was going on the owners were hard at work appointing McNally and persuading Bowkett to come on board.[/quote]I don''t see that this ultimately was a success. All that has happened is that Delia and Michael have gone through their media luvvie contact list, pleading for help to dig themselves out of a giant self-inflicted mess. We got in more of the owners'' prawn sandwich munching chums, but none of the football people required to stop the descent. The end result was Hoofton, then sacking him for a radio commentator who is no better and then relegation.

Well thanks guys. I think I now have the jist of it....

Because you don''t know what he does but he''s a celebrity.

because he''s one of Delia''s buddys.

Because he''s there to make sure a split vote goes the right way. (whatever the right way is.)

Because we haven''t got enough fans on the board and as he''s a celebrity he''s the wrong sort.

Because he knows jack all about football. (Apparently).

Because a supporter of longer standing would be a better choice.

Because he''s not Robert Chase.

Because we spent 8m on RVW.

Because Russell Brand supports West Ham.

Because Gunny was appointed in 2009.

Because Cameron Newark is half daft.

Because Delia''s a deeply religious Roman Catholic.

And my favourite of all because I''m dim.[Y]

That''s that cleared up then...

Where as your compelling reason for wanting him to stay is because he''s famous and you like that tingly feeling you get in your tummy with the lightest of brushes with celebrity. Will you ask for his autograph or would you blush and become tongue-tied? Of course that would require him to actually turn up for an AGM. You know, the most important meeting of the year for shareholders. What chance him attending? It''s between Bob Hope and no hope.

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]What chance him attending?[/quote]If he''s there, will you actually take the mic and ask him what he brings to the club?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well thanks guys. I think I now have the jist of it....

Because you don''t know what he does but he''s a celebrity.

because he''s one of Delia''s buddys.

Because he''s there to make sure a split vote goes the right way. (whatever the right way is.)

Because we haven''t got enough fans on the board and as he''s a celebrity he''s the wrong sort.

Because he knows jack all about football. (Apparently).

Because a supporter of longer standing would be a better choice.

Because he''s not Robert Chase.

Because we spent 8m on RVW.

Because Russell Brand supports West Ham.

Because Gunny was appointed in 2009.

Because Cameron Newark is half daft.

Because Delia''s a deeply religious Roman Catholic.

And my favourite of all because I''m dim.[Y]

That''s that cleared up then...

[/quote]

As per usual a totally selected twisted take on what has been posted.

But if you are now happy thats a good day[:D]

No reason from you as to why he should be on the board though. 

[quote user="Bury Green"] I simply couldn''t countenance is presence on board being favourable to an elected supporter and when I say elected I mean elected by the support. As a case in point it''d be favourable if the Chairman of the Independent Supporters Club had a place on The Board of Directors and as such provide what I have described previously, a checking mechanism between the clubs governance and its support. [/quote]

The old NCISA was wound up in May 2013 so that leaves the Norwich City Supporters Trust as the only credible option out there but only this week we have their President complaining in a blog about fans criticism of the manager and another member of their board on a social media site doing just that and describing the managers post match comments as ''bullshit''. It just shows that electing a fan to the NCFC board would cause divide amongst the fans.

The reason I believe he should be on the board is well documented on this thread. But for the hard of hearing/reading : -

He already is on the board which has gone from strength to strength since he joined. I didn''t vote him on but see no reason to upset the status quo by voting him off.

This is met by diversion tactics ranging from the merits of Robert Chase returning to the possible future involvement of the Roman Catholic church.