Sign in to follow this  
The Polar Bears Made Me Do It

Motion to re-appoint Stephen Fry as a director

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]Herman - this is more a topic of debate for "real fans" ie those with season tickets and shares. Accordingly, it obviously won''t be of much interest to "priority member" sorts.[/quote]

There''s a lot of homophobe accusations flying around this thread. I''m trying not to make any such judgements. That''s why I keep asking why some of you want to make this protest vote. If it''s just because you "don''t know" what Fry brings to the board then why was there not a similar protest over Stefan Philip''s re-election.

The other board members obviously know what Fry brings to the table. Since Fry''s been on the board the club have gone from strength to strength. Trying to put a spanner in that seems odd to me. If it''s not for homophobic reasons then why is it?

The only person who seems to be making accusations of homophobia is you and may say rather more about your views.

Personally, I don''t agree with the encroachment of selllebrideeeee into football. In fact, it''s symptomatic of many of football''s ills. Stephen Fry is free to support who ever he likes. I just happen to think that he should do that by buying a ticket like everyone else. The same would be true if Mylene Klaas were on the board. She''s local and supposedly supports the club, should she also be given a directorship.

Oh, and as to why it hasn''t been raised before? That would be because I can''t remember him having to seek re-election before. Of course, his re-election is a shoe in. Some of is just wish to register our disapproval.

Would you vote him on or off if he was up for re-election,considering you know even less about him than Mr Fry?

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]The only person who seems to be making accusations of homophobia is you and may say rather more about your views.

Personally, I don''t agree with the encroachment of selllebrideeeee into football. In fact, it''s symptomatic of many of football''s ills. Stephen Fry is free to support who ever he likes. I just happen to think that he should do that by buying a ticket like everyone else. The same would be true if Mylene Klaas were on the board. She''s local and supposedly supports the club, should she also be given a directorship.

Oh, and as to why it hasn''t been raised before? That would be because I can''t remember him having to seek re-election before. Of course, his re-election is a shoe in. Some of is just wish to register our disapproval.[/quote]who are yawho are yawho are yaand why did you feel you needed a new login name ?

If I''d made homophobic accusations you''d have been able to quote them. I''m just trying to work out why you came on here trying to egg on other shareholders to .make a protest vote against Fry. If you''d answer that nobody would have cause to make up their own reasons.

You and those who agreed to join you in this protest have no ideawhat Fry does or what Stefan Philips does. But i''m sure you''d all agree the board have performed well since they joined it. There''s also no doubt the rest of this successful board had good reason to invite Fry and Philips to join them. So what is it you people know that is a good enough reason for this protest?

And can one of you explain what Russell Brand has to do with it?

Herman, Stefan Philips is not up for reelection this year but he has been previously without it being accompanied by any of this old nonsense.

Nutty, I can''t recall seeing any homophobic posts here, but have casually flicked through the thread. The only thing I have seen is you trying to bait people into making such remarks.

Please highloght said remarks and I will apologise profusely!

The price of Stephen''s fame i assume. At least Delia and McNally are getting a break for a while.

Fair point Ron a d I should have said "veiled". However I''m bating nobody. I''m a shareholder and the op was an invitation for shareholders to join him in voting against a directors reelection. I''m just trying to get to the bottom of why. Have the board been performing badly? Or is there a non football club reason? Why is that such a difficult question?

Oh, and what does RussellBrand have to do with it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Oh, and what does RussellBrand have to do with it?[/quote]maybe perhaps a reference to the constant gossip that Mr Brand might not be quite so heterosexual as his many press releases would have us believe

Fair play Nigel, I happen to agree with you with regard to the boards performance. The OP IMO is just purely on a windup!

He could well be Ron. But he''s garnered some support and I doubt they''re all on a wind up. For what its worth I doubt much of it is born out of homophobia but whatever it is it must be some sort of personal prejudice which is more important to them than the performance of the football club board.

I''ll try to make it clear for you just one more time. Do the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital appoint people as brain surgeons solely based on their celebbbrrriiidddeeeeee? Why is that and why should the board of a professional footballl club (and multi million pound business to boot) be different?

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]I''ll try to make it clear for you just one more time. Do the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital appoint people as brain surgeons solely based on their celebbbrrriiidddeeeeee? Why is that and why should the board of a professional footballl club (and multi million pound business to boot) be different?[/quote]No, but The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital Trust does appoint as directors and governors people from the community with no background in medicine. The current directors and governors include a former soldier, a lawyer, an accountant, a bishop, a chartered engineer, and a man who worked in the timber trade.

So the performance of the board doesn''t mmatter to you. All that matters is that you don''t believe Fry has what you think are the necessary skills. Do the other board members have these skills? Have previous board members had these skills? Do other club''s board members have these skills?

You can see why people may wonder about your motives can''t you?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So the performance of the board doesn''t mmatter to you. All that matters is that you don''t believe Fry has what you think are the necessary skills. Do the other board members have these skills? Have previous board members had these skills? Do other club''s board members have these skills? You can see why people may wonder about your motives can''t you?[/quote]

Are you saying Nutty that the Board is perfect and could not be improved in any way?

Like you I have no idea what Fry brings to the table, certainly it does not seem  sport or commercial experience.

When he was first appointed it was thought that with all his contacts he might find investment, that hasn''t happened either.

So what is the justification for him being on the Board?

No I''m not saying the board is perfect. Neither am i saying I have any justification for him being on the board. I didn''t elect him so why should iI justify someone elses actions? I''ve already told you I don''t know what he brings to the board.

However the op has said hes going to vote against Fry and has asked if others will do the same. Its a totally different scenario to you expecting me to justify what others do.

OK, so we''re questioning, one way or the other, board membership, validity and entitlement/qualification for same and the merits of current individuals on the board.

What would people expect of a board member? What should their remit be, what should they actively (and this presumably means what they are seen to be doing whilst in the role so no-one need wonder "why" they have it in the first place) be doing in order to merit that priviliged position?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]No I''m not saying the board is perfect. Neither am i saying I have any justification for him being on the board. I didn''t elect him so why should iI justify someone elses actions? I''ve already told you I don''t know what he brings to the board. However the op has said hes going to vote against Fry and has asked if others will do the same. Its a totally different scenario to you expecting me to justify what others do.[/quote]

Didn''t quite make that last line plain as it was not aimed at you[:D]

Just a general "what justification is there for his board membership"

There obviuosly does not have to be one as the majority share holders can have who they want.

So any vote against can only be a very mild "protest" vote.

So if it lights the Op''s candle good luck to him, he is going to have as much effect as a flea attacking an elephant.

But if you come onto a public forum stating you are going to make a protest vote and ask if others are going to do the same Istill believe you should justify that with a reason.

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]I''ll try to make it clear for you just one more time. Do the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital appoint people as brain surgeons solely based on their celebbbrrriiidddeeeeee? Why is that and why should the board of a professional footballl club (and multi million pound business to boot) be different?[/quote]

How many celebrity brain surgeons are there out there?

Sigh... I don''t have to justify anything but, one last time, I do not believe that someone should be handed a position on the board of a football club simply, and only, because they are a celebrity. Whether you agree or disagree I care not a jot but if you cannot understand that point you, sir, are very dim.

My dimness is legendary so you''re hardly Sherlock Holmes. Just imagine that your vote actually was the catalyst for change. How would that have improved the board and ultimately the chances of success of the football club?

So you do obviously put your personal prejudices above having a successful board. I think you could actually be dimmer than me.

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"]Sorry to make you appear immature and foolish but. .. they all get something in return for splashing the cash - a seat at matches, refreshments, ill-fitting leisure wear and coach travel. Those who purchased shares made altruistic donations to the club. Of course, the small something you do get is a seat at the AGM and a very real sense of owning part of the club, however small. In a way that having a season ticket (tick, for many many years), purchasing pies (every match), replica shirts (yup) and Club Canary travel (in the dim and distance past) simply can''t. I know what I''ll be doing on the evening of 25 November. And I know one thing you won''t be doing.[/quote]

thats true.. sold my shares to somebody on this board and got a very good price thank you.. still.. you sit there pretending your vote counts wont you...