Sign in to follow this  
The Polar Bears Made Me Do It

Motion to re-appoint Stephen Fry as a director

Shoot me down if Im wrong here, I have no experience of how a board of directors is formed....... however.Even if Fry is de selected (in reality thats not going to happen) then the board do not have to replace him, do they?A board can have as many directors on it as they like so could add additional directors, could they not ?I cannot see any positives that could come from a few putting up their hands as a show of ?Actually what is it a show of, what do you want or hope to achieve?

Nobody has explained why Andrew Motion is going to re-appoint Stephen Fry.(Load of Squit)

Perhaps one good turn deserves another.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]
Shoot me down if Im wrong here, I have no experience of how a board of directors is formed....... however.

Even if Fry is de selected (in reality thats not going to happen) then the board do not have to replace him, do they?

A board can have as many directors on it as they like so could add additional directors, could they not ?

I cannot see any positives that could come from a few putting up their hands as a show of ?

Actually what is it a show of, what do you want or hope to achieve?

[/quote]

There is a minimum number required (That''s what caused the "problem" when Munby and Doncaster resigned at the same time)

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Shoot me down if Im wrong here, I have no experience of how a board of directors is formed....... however.Even if Fry is de selected (in reality thats not going to happen) then the board do not have to replace him, do they?A board can have as many directors on it as they like so could add additional directors, could they not ?I cannot see any positives that could come from a few putting up their hands as a show of ?Actually what is it a show of, what do you want or hope to achieve?

[/quote]

There is a minimum number required (That''s what caused the "problem" when Munby and Doncaster resigned at the same time)

[/quote]

So in theory the board could appoint additional directors without having to deselect one, there is a minimum number required but not a set maximum?Im just trying to see what the purpose or reason would be to deselect a director who, even if as some say adds nothing he does at the same time take nothing away, would be?Whats the end game here, what are people trying to achieve by this (as far as I can see) pointless gesture? 

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Shoot me down if Im wrong here, I have no experience of how a board of directors is formed....... however.Even if Fry is de selected (in reality thats not going to happen) then the board do not have to replace him, do they?A board can have as many directors on it as they like so could add additional directors, could they not ?I cannot see any positives that could come from a few putting up their hands as a show of ?Actually what is it a show of, what do you want or hope to achieve?

[/quote]

[/quote]Possibly, TB, but the minimum number is not seven. If Fry left we would still have six, which was the number of the reconstituted board (ie post-Munby and Doncaster) until Fry arrived. The board would certainly still be legal if Fry was not replaced. From vague memory the departure of Munby and Doncaster took us down to four, which was supposedly below the limit, and so one of them (Doncaster) was technically kept on as a director, even though he had left the building, until the new members were chosen. There was a certain amount of confusion surrounding this. I have some projects on the go at the moment and don''t have time to check back but I think that is what happened.

It is typical pink un because posters like me run on forever.

Mello''s post about the Archant chap may be one of those with fewest words but probably says the most.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Molly Windley"]
Shoot me down if Im wrong here, I have no experience of how a board of directors is formed....... however.

Even if Fry is de selected (in reality thats not going to happen) then the board do not have to replace him, do they?

A board can have as many directors on it as they like so could add additional directors, could they not ?

I cannot see any positives that could come from a few putting up their hands as a show of ?

Actually what is it a show of, what do you want or hope to achieve?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Possibly, TB, but the minimum number is not seven. If Fry left we would still have six, which was the number of the reconstituted board (ie post-Munby and Doncaster) until Fry arrived. The board would certainly still be legal if Fry was not replaced.

From vague memory the departure of Munby and Doncaster took us down to four, which was supposedly below the limit, and so one of them (Doncaster) was technically kept on as a director, even though he had left the building, until the new members were chosen.

There was a certain amount of confusion surrounding this. I have some projects on the go at the moment and don''t have time to check back but I think that is what happened.

[/quote]

As far as I remember there was only three left.The 2 Michaels and Delia, that WAS the problem (they needed a four, by the constitution)

Therefore the appointment of Gunn , could not , strictly speaking, have happened.

Hence the quick correction of Delias statement by hubby, and the "continuation" of Doncaster.

That''s the lower limit, not sure if there is an upper one, but would need to be kept within limits or it would become unworkable.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Possibly, TB, but the minimum number is not seven. If Fry left we would still have six, which was the number of the reconstituted board (ie post-Munby and Doncaster) until Fry arrived. The board would certainly still be legal if Fry was not replaced.From vague memory the departure of Munby and Doncaster took us down to four, which was supposedly below the limit, and so one of them (Doncaster) was technically kept on as a director, even though he had left the building, until the new members were chosen.There was a certain amount of confusion surrounding this. I have some projects on the go at the moment and don''t have time to check back but I think that is what happened.[/quote]

As far as I remember there was only three left.The 2 Michaels and Delia, that WAS the problem (they needed a four, by the constitution)

Therefore the appointment of Gunn , could not , strictly speaking, have happened.

Hence the quick correction of Delias statement by hubby, and the "continuation" of Doncaster.

That''s the lower limit, not sure if there is an upper one, but would need to be kept within limits or it would become unworkable.

[/quote]You are quite right of course, TB. It took us down to three. A disconnect between my mental maths and what I typed...[:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]You are quite right of course, TB. It took us down to three. A disconnect between my mental maths and what I typed...[:$][/quote]How could you possibly have forgotten about form 288b Purps? [:^)]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1728592/ShowPost.aspx[:D][/quote]Lapps, I had attempted to blot it out of my mind, in the same way I have tried to obliterate the memory of the spotted dick they used to serve at lunchtimes at Lakenham Infants'' School...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I find your responses odd too VOS. You seem to be happy to try to put a spanner in the works of the harmonious successful board because you don''t like Stephen fry? Who are these supporters who could bring more to the board and where were they in 1995 and 2009?

The OP clearly doesn''t want to drink with me so I''ll buy you a drink instead at the agm. :)[/quote]

Well it looks as if the "very old stirrer" will have to name someone to replace Fry. Now lets think, who are we looking for. Long standing established supporter and shareholder, loyal and experienced, fully committed to the Club, worth a Bob or Two. Why has it taken me so long, there is the obvious person sitting in the wings. The err Halvergate Builder - now whats his name !! I remember, the great Robert Chase. Sure he''s not a luvvie. That suggestion should keep the thread running for another week.

Thank you and goodnight !!!!

Long lapsed supporter did you say VOS?

And can you be sure he hasn''t come out of the closet since his last game...

Serious question buddy - Do you know what Stefan Philips does?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Long lapsed supporter did you say VOS?

Serious question buddy - Do you know what Stefan Philips does?[/quote]

Well I thought he was fairly influential being a Director of Archant. BUT I see no sign of him on the website. Can''t help, but I suspect you know the answer !!!

[quote user="vos"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Long lapsed supporter did you say VOS?

Serious question buddy - Do you know what Stefan Philips does?[/quote]

Well I thought he was fairly influential being a Director of Archant. BUT I see no sign of him on the website. Can''t help, but I suspect you know the answer !!![/quote]Stephan Phillips left Archant in April 2011.

I haven''t a Scooby what he does or brings to the board. I don''t think you do either VOS :)

He looks like the bloke on that hospital ward under doctor Thorpe''s care....

But then I''m H.A.P.P.Y. You know I am....

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I shall be voting against the motion. I have never bought into the Twitter value justification. I suspect his value is in ensuring that split board votes go the right way. He''s as meritorious as that prized plonker Russell Brand.[/quote]

Plonker? If there was a ''Brand Party'' I''d vote for him! The guy''s revoltionary.

I just love the way that threads like this start off with someone who thinks they know everything there is to know - who shortly after effectively admits they know nothing which is why they want change.What it does for me, is highlight how lucky we are to have some supporters / fans of our great club, who do actually know and who are looking after it''s best interests rather well despite the annual get together of the "Burning torches and pitchforks" quarterly group.We are also lucky to have a couple of people on this forum who attend AGM''s etc and are able to translate or highlight the information most pertinent to the Joe Blog fan. I won''t name names, as they''ll only blush and then I''ll get accused of being in someones inner circle or something . . . . [:O]

Never claimed to know "everything there is to know", just questioned why Stephen Fry is a board member. What does he bring to club other than "celebrity"?

Unlike you, I am, however, a shareholder and that gives me an interest in how the club is run and a say in who is running it. And yes, the shareholding is small. My raised hand will not make a jot of difference. But twice, when the club came begging, I like many others put their hand in their pocket and gave the club money which we knew we would never see a return on.

So, Chicken, I suggest that you relect for a moment on what you have actually done for the club ....

[quote user="The Polar Bears Made Me Do It"] But twice, when the club came begging, I like many others put their hand in their pocket and gave the club money which we knew we would never see a return on. ..[/quote]

sorry to P*ss on the bonfire but what does every season ticket holder, pie buyer, replica shirt wearer, club cabbage traveller do?

nothing special having a share or 2.

Sorry to make you appear immature and foolish but. .. they all get something in return for splashing the cash - a seat at matches, refreshments, ill-fitting leisure wear and coach travel. Those who purchased shares made altruistic donations to the club. Of course, the small something you do get is a seat at the AGM and a very real sense of owning part of the club, however small.

In a way that having a season ticket (tick, for many many years), purchasing pies (every match), replica shirts (yup) and Club Canary travel (in the dim and distance past) simply can''t.

I know what I''ll be doing on the evening of 25 November. And I know one thing you won''t be doing.

perhaps you could tell us all who you are master polar beara list of previous logins will do

[quote user="bristolcanary"]Six pages of sh1te![/quote]I wouldn''t read the Hotel one if you think this is bad.

Stephen Fry is an intelligent thoughtful man who does care about his Club, i dont know if he has what it takes to be an effective director. He''s generally held in high regard except by homophobes. Why not give him a chance at it, he may be very good.

Russel Brand however has a book to promote. He confuses ownership of a thesaurus with intellect. I wouldnt let him direct a Nativity Play . He''d invade the stage , declare that the story is being fast forwarded 20 years and Lo! he''s Jesus!. A Nincompoop that happens to follow West Ham.

Norfolk Mustard wrote the following post at 28/10/2014 10:40

Crafty Canary wrote:

I shall be voting against the motion. I have never bought into the Twitter value justification. I suspect his value is in ensuring that split board votes go the right way. He''s as meritorious as that prized plonker Russell Brand.

Plonker? If there was a ''Brand Party'' I''d vote for him! The guy''s revoltionary.

Brand is an utter pseud who thinks he''s smart but is a complete fool. Like the emporer''s clothes he is able to fool the impressionable.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="bristolcanary"]Six pages of sh1te![/quote]I wouldn''t read the Hotel one if you think this is bad.[/quote]

that''s very thoughtful of you to read through each thread and make recommendationscan''t say I could be that ar sed to be honestbut each to their own I suppose