Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Neil Adams - one of us

A lot has been posted on here about Neil Adams and unfortunately a lot of it is not very pleasant. Neil Adams is NCFC through & through - an excellent player who always gave 100%, a passionate radio pundit who only ever wanted us to achieve our full potential and a very successful manager of the under 18''s who defied the odds by overcoming much more wealthy Clubs and winning the FA Youth Cup.

Rightly or wrongly he was offered to job of Managing the first team and quite rightly he accepted it knowing full well that if he failed then his very strong links with the Club would end, probably for good.

However, being the man that he is he took up the challenge and gave it his best shot. The fact that he has come up short is sad and unfortunate.

From his days on Canary Call he will know only too well what the majority of fans are saying & he will be well aware that people want him out.

I have no doubt that he is already thinking seriously about his future and he will make the right decision if it''s not made for him by somebody else.

The fact that he has tried but failed is not a reason the turn on the guy with unappropriate and totally out of order remarks.

Whatever happens going forward he will remain a legend in the eyes of many because at the end of the day, he is one of us.

Same could be said for Bryan Gunn.    A legend more than Adams, but the level of vitriol against him was waaaay over the top.  I hope this doesn''t happen to Adams.  Imo he should not be driven from the club if sacked - more demoted to another role within the club - if he wants it.

Your right of course he is a norwich through and through ,but he would have known better than anyone what would happen if it all went wrong. So i guess he will have to take his medicine , but i think he will be liked by most norwich fans .

Totally Agree. No one can doubt his commitment or his passion. I really hope he can turn it round quickly because, as the OP said, he is genuinely one of us and we have always took pride in the fact that we are a family club. I fear, though, he will be vilified for his ambition in the same way Gunny was. It would be completely unfitting for someone who has behaved with such dignity and honesty throughout the whole process. If the board do decide he has failed and it is time for a change, they need to find a way to make that change in a manner that allows him to keep his head high. He cannot become their scapegoat. Their failures, after all, have been a lot more serious - and over a much longer timespan...........

Being ''one of us'' is part of the problem.We need someone appointed who is the best manager out there we can find, not someone who is ''one of us''.

Perhaps we should all be in charge, collectivisation. I''ll be in charge of redmonds left foot so i don''t have to do anything, you can be in charge of Olsson''s movement off the ball, 1touch could be in charge of bradley johnson''s ball control, we could have a real thing going here.

Being ''one of us'' is only one (not vital) box ticked, he seems to have little else in his favor IMO.His miserable attempts at the end of last season suggested to me that Adams didn''t have it. Sadly, the Board ignored that because he was ''one of us.''Appalling appointment. I was delighted that we won that youth cup but now the consequences of this seem to have come back to bite us in the bum.He seems to have squandered a lot of money as well, with so few of his signings appearing successful.

As somebody has mentioned already, the fact that he is "one of us" is a massive part of the problem - it is just that view that made the board appoint him in the first place, because he is a "Norwich man" like Gunn, and they clearly never learned from their mistakes last time, it is the same problem and such a little Norwich attitude, typical of a small club mentality.

If he is "one of us" then he should have it in him to be big enough to admit that he is not up to the job, if he had the best interests of the club at heart like "one of us".

Agreed Alex and if he were to ''walk'' tomorrow I, for one, would breath a massive sigh of relief, without even concerning myself with a replacement.I have no confidence whatsoever that this man can bring success to us, this season or ever.  

Great OP and as I have said both Gunny & Adams have done the same as anyone of us would have....in their shoes.

The board should never have given them the chance with their limited experience.

The board in my eyes have to answer to the fans this time.

Last season MacNally said relegation was unacceptable a fate worse than death I believe was one of his commanets and this year they scoured all of Europe to find Adams.....yes time to come clean and put things right.

Legends in my eyes still both Gunny & Adams.

The sentiment is well intended, though the conclusion is premature.

Let every one on this board remember that Neil is a fan, a passionate man, intelligent, with an ego and also - let us not forget - all his coaching badges, a league winner''s medal, an FA Youth Cup win, a decade at Norwich City, an understanding of the club, plus an acute understanding of the fans and their desires.

This is far, far more qualified to manage Norwich City than anyone on this board. Many, many pages of unqualified opinion abound - which all are entitled to hold - though much of which is laced with the subliminal, implicit or explicit tone that they could do better, can see more, that the obvious had been missed.

One of the reasons for not offering opinions too often is that managing a football club is rather like running your own business or becoming a parent, you can''t truly get it until you''ve done it. It all looks so easy from the outside. You can be a nurse Watching operations, you can own all the casualty box sets, but until the scalpel is in your hands, you don''t understand what it''s like to be a brain surgeon. An amateur might well have a very strong opinion on brain surgery, might have studied huge amounts of material online - and may even watch operations performed on a weekly basis - though should I ever need brain surgery, I won''t be asking a passionate amateur.

Parma

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry but this he will do the right thing and resign is just pie in the sky , its the biggest job he has had in his life and along with it more fame and tv appearances than ever before , he will cling onto that for as long as he can . Will the Board do the right thing ? going by the past almost certainly not , i can see him still in charge next season and probably untill we are fighting the drop to league 1 .

Making Plans is correct in all stated, The argument to sack Adams ?  The main one seems to be the results are not as expected, as been stated before Alex Ferguson would have gone at Man Utd before he turned it around. Also this season at Newcastle all the fans wanted Pardew out but that''s gone quite now. The other argument would be no experience, Swansea promoted from within and he''s doing OK. I believe in giving a manager time, so I''m sticking with him.  

I honestly believe that he has he club in his heart and would walk if he felt that he was not able to do the best for us.

Now that''s a tough conclusion for him to have to draw, but IMO he will get there before any action is taken by his employers.

So we have to put up with the poor performances, strange team selections and managerial/tactical weaknesses because the manager is "one of us". Well I disagree with that, Neil Adams was nowhere to be seen when I started supporting Norwich, players/managers and owners/directors come anf go, the only constant is the fans and this particular fan thinks that nice bloke as he may be, Neil Adams is way out of his depth.......

Parma suggests that Neil''s footballing career (playing and post) makes him far better qualified to manage City than any of the posters on here.

Few would argue with that but nobody is suggesting the position should be in the hands of a complete novice. Indeed, it''s the total lack of experience in coaching or managing at adult professional level that made the permanent appointment so astounding.

All those who adopted a "kings clothes" approach to the appointment are now seeing it as it really is. Just a handful maintain their mis-guided support of the board, citing others who have gone into management with only limited experience. Nowhere can they find an example who has had absolutely zero involvement as in Neil''s case.

It will be desperately hard for him but he really needs to concede that he is not qualified (by experience) for the task and speak with McNally now.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]So we have to put up with the poor performances, strange team selections and managerial/tactical weaknesses because the manager is "one of us". [/quote]Please go back & read my OP & then explain where I said that

Why have so many posters already reached this stage with Adams? Gunn got longer. So did Megson, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder. Is it because people really believe they know more than Neil because he comes from the youth team?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Why have so many posters already reached this stage with Adams? Gunn got longer. So did Megson, Hamilton, Grant and Roeder. Is it because people really believe they know more than Neil because he comes from the youth team?

[/quote]

They didn''t get 20 million quid from the CEO of a debt free club to give it a good go that''s why.

Maybe, NN, because Adams appointment was one disasterous "Mr Norwich" appointment too far and the majority of supporters have had enough of the club doing things on the cheap? Plus what Tilly said above!

From my own personal point of view I do not believe I know more than Neil, but that does not mean that I do not have the right to an opinion and my feeling is that Neil is a nice bloke but his lack of experience is showing through. To get out of this league you need to average around two points per game, at the moment we are eight points behinf that particular target, this means we now need to average nearly 2.25 points per game for each of the remaining 29 games to be in the frame, every draw and defeat makes that target harder to achieve. My concerns about whether Neil is the right man first surfaced following the 2-2 home draw against a very poor Birmingham City and I have seen nothing since then that gives me confidence that Neil is the man to get us automatically promoted. What really worries me is that Birmingham City have given other teams the blueprint to success at Carrow Rd, defend in numbers and hit us on the break and Neil is yet to find an answer to that particular problem, what also worries me is how we are unable to hit teams on the break quickly ourselves.............

I understand what you''re saying SOB. But in that case it''s not lost on me that Neil Lennon didn''t understand that blueprint and was out thought by the novice. So things could be worse...