Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Will Ashton go?

Bbuying Morrission is all well and good but I hope to god it is not at the expense of Ashton....I have a nagging feeling that is what it will be though....if not do we really need another striker would not 2m be better spent on midfield or defence....It seems he is on paper an ideal replacement....as I said I hope I am wrong......What are all your thoughts? Please put my mind at ease if you know something I dont

OTBC

St.John

I have to say it does look like a striker is leaving.

Seems like we offered more than anyone else was prepared to pay which tells me we need the player badly.

I know this might be unpopular but if we could get over 8 million for Ashton it would give us a nice kitty for building the team. 

I know nowt but this:
If Ashton is sold after what the board has said, it will be stabbing the supporters in the back.
It would a betrayal the likes of which have not been seen since the days of Chase.
Fingers crossed. I really don''t want to jeer Delia to her seat at every home game I attend.

Im afraid we are all just like you john.

its a total mystery, totally out of the blue, where on earth did this start? Could it be deano leaving? could it be mckenzie? im not sure, but i hope none of them leave.

although i could just imagine the morrison - deano partner ship

*drool*

St. John, I''d love to offer you words of comfort on this one but afraid not.

My immediate reaction to the headline on the Pink''Un site was twofold:

1) Why do we need another striker?

2) What does this mean about the future of Ashton?

I suspect, and hope I''m wrong, that a deal has been done behind closed doors for Ashton to move to a bigger club either immediately or in the January transfer window. I sincerely hope that is not the case, but the purchase of another striker ranks up there alongside the purchase of a third able keeper before the start of the Premiership season. Fortunately that time round Green stayed.

If Deano is off, at least he''s making the most of Norwich before he goes, I have it on good authority that last night he was out on a date with an attractive young woman who had bleached white hair.

Good on you Deano...get in there my son!

Worthy has just clearly stated on the official site now, and on sky, that Deano is not for sale.

Do you think if he had an inkling of anything , he would have said that?.

Relax. 

ashton will not be going. if things are like this: £1.25m upfront, 500k for promotion and 250k for staying up (rumours), its very good business. its more likely that mckenzie would be the one to go, but most teams have 4 good strikers, and we never really have someone to come on and change the game. unexpected, but good signing.

Correct me if I''m wrong please Wiz,
But Worthington has only said that so far there has not been any offers made for Deano...at no point did he say that there is no chance he could be off.
Fingers crossed he''s going nowhere, but why bring in another striker, a position we really don''t need anymore cover for?

Since when have you trusted worthy anyway?

I agree NCFC are not going to pay £2m for a player to sit on the bench. I just hope its not Deano

If its not him, then who is it?

Worthy said a few weeks ago he wanted two players available for every position. I don''t think we have another player like Leon in the squad but Morrison is quite similar...so there''s your answer.

Plus we need more quality in depth if we are to have a chance of staying up IF we get promoted this year. Last time we were way short of quality in depth and we need to think ahead now!

Maybe Deano can''t go till January due to contract restrictions.

Maybe we''ve already agreed a fee with someone that means Deano goes in the January transfer window.

Maybe we''ve bought Morrison to give him to settle before Deano''s departure using the cash we''ll get in January.

Maybe this is a load of b*llocks!

Worthy has stated today that Ashton is not for sale, regardless of the offer that comes in for him! He''s worth 25 million to us if he stays and helps us to promotion, so if anyone is prepared to pay that..........

I don''t think anyone is going, to be honest, I think its just an opportunistic buy, and if the package of £1.25m up front, etc, is correct, then good business and there''s the Francis money.

Would still prefer to see a midfielder and/or a defender brought in, but I''m not going to complain about Morrison''s arrival - lets face it, Deano and Leon were a sure starter up front with no one pushing them for a place... now they''ve got competition, so everyone is going to have to up their game... look out Saints, I say!!!

Valid point from the vic regarding player not being allowed to move twice in a year, However I am very worried about Deano''s future after this purchase. Rumours doing the rounds are that Deano had a chance meeting with souness at Gatwick airport after the U21 game. I wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him go

My first reaction was to think that Ashton would be on his way. My second reaction was to think that Leon was on his way.

My third and most pleasurable reaction was to think that maybe Morrison and Leon are going to challenge for the second striker role.

Thorne is a ready-made sub for Ashton, and Clinton and Leon are reasonably similar. It''s got to be the logical choice.

Why would various members of the club state that Ashton is not for sale before selling him? They know what the reaction from the fans would be.

Anyway, I hope that''s what the idea is. If it isn''t, the fans are going to turn on Worthy I fear.

I''d have to go along with others and say that there are other areas that could''ve done with strengthening first. A creative midfielder and a centre back anyone?

Madness

We need another striker like a hole in the head Every fan knows what we need is a quality midfielder followed by a quality CB, so what do we do? Buy a frigging striker

It isn''t as if Morrison is that good anyway and as we are the only Club that are prepared to pay the money for him it augurs badly as to whether Ashton will now be here come September or January.

As to assurances that Deano isn''t going anywhere, who can forget Chase and his "promise" about Sutton.  On television he spouted that if Sutton went he would go as well...within weeks Sutton had gone for £5million and Chas stayed, to drag the Club into the mire.

How are all the blind Worthington supporters going to justify this piece of crap then??????

Wrong on all counts boys , I’m afraid.

I have inside word too and Deano is going nowhere.It would appear that the rumours that surfaced at the end of last season regarding Leon’s imminent departure are unfortunately true.It has nothing to do with the club or on-pitch matters but there is something that requires him to be in London a lot of the time to sort out.Worthy was hoping by the time the new season started it would all be sorted but it isn’t and Worthy blames Leon’s early season form on the fact that he is up and down the M11 all the time.

Morrison is in fact a direct replacement for Leon.If he has half of Leon’s commitment , he’ll do fine.

Deano to go, doesn''t make sense does it. We are pushing for promotion as with this squad we should. Why on earth we would sell our biggest asset who can easily do + 20 goals for us. I believe that we have used the Damo money in this deal. If someone is going it must be Leon. If it is I''m disappointed but rather Leon than Deano. Anyway let''s hope Clint is in and nobody is out and couple of more signings maybe before deadline. And one other thing if we want to sell Deano we can do it later and still get good money. If Deano goes now I REALLY feel betrayed by the board.

to sway the argument in a totally different direction.......

........... prehaps someone has bought huckerby

Nigel won''t have the final say on who goes and who comes.

Assuming Nigel does not want Ashton to move its either the player himself or the Board. The Board would be absolutely mad to sell him having just got rid of Francis, they know Dean is a key part of our promotion hopes and they know the reaction from the fans. He is priceless to us right now.

So it must be the player himself surely. Or is there another alternative?

If Deano goes, expect some grief to come out from Nigel too. Ashton could be Worthy''s Dean Windass. So if Deano does go, we know Nigel is ambitious, and I wouldn''t be surprised at that either.

I and we don''t need this right now. What on earth is this all about..........??

Here''s why Dean Ashton won''t go this season

1) Newcastle do not know the first thing about doing transfers in private , they normally tell the press that they are intrested and then have live bidding wars on sky television, to suggest that there''s some sort of decorum or privacy about their actions is rubbish ... remember the fuss about Rooney ? Or the fact souey was going on about Anelka without signing him .

2) West Ham and Wigan can''t afford him

3 ) we only have 3 strikers ... Thorne , Ashton , Mckenzie ( Huckerby is a left sided midfielder now and Jarvis and Henderson obviously aren''t in Worthy''s plans because he wouldn''t need to buy a striker if Ashton was to go anyway )

4. Ashton''s only been here for 7 months

5. Ashton''s never put in a transfer request ( touch wood ) or said he wanted to go

6. he said he " owes us one" and worthers said "he''s not for sale"

7. If someone put in a bid Norwich would make it public and if they would sell Ashton first

8.There would of been no point in Dean signing for us if he was just going to go off to a big club, he made a point about Norwich being a family club and getting first team football here

9. Palace, Southampton, Wigan, Sunderland etc were all intrested in Morrison so it makes sense to sign a player who our rivals want also

10. Worthers likes buying strikers.. Ok... we need a centre back but we need one anyway whether Ashton goes or not

This is obviously all based on Morrison agreeing terms and signing.

To say I am bemused is putting it mildly, now I don''t think any of us on here are paid football managers but we do share a pretty good understanding of the game forged by many years of watching and learning about it. I would think that at least 90% of this board feels that our transfer priorities are (were ??) a creative midfielder first and a central defender second - I just can''t believe that we can all be so wrong.

So, are we going to see another player or two in before the window shuts. If it is only one, my preference would be for the midfielder (in fact I would rather have spent the Morrison money on Idiakez, I think £2m would have been just about enough) as I think the defence would be able to cope with a strong midfield in front of them.

If we don''t get anybody else in, I would really think that NW has lost the plot - and I don''t think that that is the case so I expect at least one more signing. I cannot believe Ashton will be going after the statements that have been made, even if he was homesick or something I don''t think NW would be telling us that he is staying as he knows what people would think if he then sold him. McKenzie, possible sale I suppose but not sure how much we would get (£1m ??) so maybe the board does have that bit of extra money that lots of us thought they must have.

Ryan Jarvis and Ian Henderson - two very p*ssed off young men this morning, they can''t do any more than play up front for their country yet every time they get near the first team somebody else arrives to put them back down the pecking order. A couple of loans are in order I feel.

Prices we are paying for players, well I posted at the time that we were paying well over the top for Hughes (not going to criticise him as it his not his fault) and it looks like we are doing the same here. Only rumours from the web but my understanding is that the other bids were around £1.25m so we appear to have topped them by a considerable amount, albeit some may be staged and dependent on promotion.

Finally a word for the board, they have once again backed NW''s judgement and come up with the cash. Why so many people call him Doomcaster I just don''t know, or is it just an affectionate name ??

Lots of my thoughts there, it is early in the morning so they may not all be too coherent. I guess we will just have to wait and see (as always) what the ramifications of yesterdays move will be. I myself am off on holiday to Mexico this afternoon so will have to try and find an internet connection to keep up with events.

Mark .Y.

"How are all the blind Worthington supporters going to justify this piece of crap then??????"

Fatman Fat - we have had threads on this board recently asking for a bit of mutual respect to be shown to other people''s opinions and then you come out with rubbish like that. Calm down. We don''t know whats happening yet, Morrison hasn''t signed, nobody has left *yet*. We might not have finished our transfer activity yet.

Worthy has been linked with both new CMs and CBs (Sidwell and Ward and many others) over the summer, but you prefer top think he isn''t interested in those positions. Thats up to you, you are entitled to your opinion, but please don''t rubbish those that think, just perhaps, that maybe our transfer activity for this summer still has a way to go. Or if this is the end of it, its because the right players aren''t available at the right price - as indicated by what Worthy has said and his activities.

2 weeks ago people were complaining that we weren''t going to buy any more players this season. Now people are complaining that we are trying to sign a 20+ goal per season striker at Championship level. Unbelievable. I''m presuming that its because of panic over the thought of losing Deano, but that doesn''t excuse rudeness on the board.

Back to the thread topic - IMO Morrison is more likely to be either a replacement for Leon or going to give him competition for his place. I am hopeful that Deano isn''t being sold right now, I think we can afford Morrison and keep Deano, but I am aware that we would sell Deano for ''silly money'' and we must be getting close to that level.