Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Becchio

What has happened to becchio , is he still at the club. If so why as we must be paying his wages , be better to let him go than have a wage to pay for nothing in return .

I think we are trying to either get them out on loans or permanent deals. The issue will be around a lack of interest and high wages. I imagine both will go before the end of the window on frees or loans.

We can''t just get rid of them because they are under contract so we either pay their wages until they go or pay up their contract in full.

You do realise that if you let someone go

you have to pay of the remaining wages on there contract

unless you can do a deal with them

[quote user="Paul101"]You do realise that if you let someone go

you have to pay of the remaining wages on there contract

unless you can do a deal with them[/quote]So how long is there left on Becchio''s contract?

Can you just cancel someone contract without there consent even if they havent done anything wrong, ie gross misconduct. They might be happy doing nothing and sitting on big wages. Obviously you can do it mutually and make a deal with that player.

[quote user="CJRV 2014"]Can you just cancel someone contract without there consent even if they havent done anything wrong, ie gross misconduct. They might be happy doing nothing and sitting on big wages. Obviously you can do it mutually and make a deal with that player.[/quote]

No, obviously you can''t just sack someone for no reason! Well, you can terminate the contract but you would have to pay all wages until the end of the contract, so there''d be no financial benefit to doing that.

Winston Bogarde is perhaps the most famous example of a player that chose to see out his four year. £40000 a week contract at Chelsea despite being frozen out and training with the youth squad for nearly all of it. He wasn''t wanted virtually from day one (made 9 appearances in 4 years) after a change of manager and at those wages made himself unsellable.Bogarde said "Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine?

At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract."He was 30 when Chelsea signed him on a 4 year deal, cant blame the guy for what he did.

Pity about Becchio - he''s a quality championship striker, regardless of whether or not he could make the step up to the Prem. 

When Adams came in, there was obviously an opening to build bridges - just look at Wes, back starting after all that happened under Hughton.  Unfortunately for whatever reason this hasn''t  happened with Becchio so I imagine we''re just looking to loan him out.  But would we want to loan him out in the Championship, see him recover form and start scoring like he used to for Leeds ?  And selling runs into the problem that he''s probably on good wages relative to what he could get. 

About Bogarde, the story I read was that he spent the 4 years flying daily from Amsterdam to London where he''d do laps of the training ground by himself for the morning (to fulfil his obligation under his contract) and then fly back home in the afternoon.  well, you would, wouldn''t you, for £40k per week?

If LB had relegation clause which seems likely he will go on loan. Clubs last season would not take on loan because didn''t want to cover his wages of about £30k.

But on reduced wage loaning LB should be easier might not get entire wage or a loan fee but can see him leaving after Sept 1 when loan market apparently opens.

Hope he gets move we have destroyed any career he had before the move from Leeds.

That''s a bit OTT - he''d hardly be the first striker who moved to a Prem club and didn''t make it.  What went on behind the scenes we''ll probably never know for sure.  It''s pretty clear we were desperate to unload Morison and Becchio was just an afterthought when he came the other way.  He got minimal chances and the manager just wasn''t really interested - but then it strikes me now as obvious that Hughton struggled with the striking side of things generally - would any of our strike force from the last two seasons have many happy memories of that period ?

So a bit rough on Becchio but if he was on £30k/week that makes up for a lot.  And he was 29 when he joined us so it was clearly his last chance to have a stab at the Prem.  But no reason why he can''t move to a similar level and have a few more seasons.