Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Southampton reviving interest in Redmond

The only rumours re Saints after Redmond is coming from Canary sources. Nothing coming out of St Mary''s according to today''s press. They are after Townsend at Spurs for £12m Spurs not doing business however. May change if cannot get Townsend possibly be after Redmond. Price should go up from the £6m quoted to Stoke because of how long to go in transfer window.

http://carrowroad.net/cnews/index.php?post=koeman-chasing-redmond-again

"People are saying £9-10m. So we could sell him now for £9-10m and have less chance of promotion. Or we could not sell him and have a better chance of promotion and sell him for around £15-16m in a few years.....mmm which one? "

Well, Mrs M, that is assuming quite a bit. How much would his departure dent our chances? How much further will he develop??

I do actually tend to agree with you. He is undoubtedly a good option to have. That he will develop as a player I''m not so sure. There have been plenty of other young players who never really quite make the grade.

But then, if anyone can bring out the best in him, I reckon it''s Neil. So, on balance, I''d stick with. However, as always, it''s far from cut & dried.

Although struggled in the Premier NR turned it on for U21''s if he continues to do so his value will not go down so keep him and see him blossom under NA.

He is a player who we have been missing for so many years. Someone who can terrify a defender with pace and dribbling ability. Although he has been disappointing so far this season there were glimpses of what he can do against Ipswich and hopefully with a few more full 90''s under his belt he can go on and make a real impression this season. Got to keep him IMO.

Forget the Under 21 performances, the last four matches have been Qatar, Wales twice and San Marino and there would be nothing to learn from those.

However, perhaps I am hoping to see development but I believe I have seen a willingness for Redmond to go on the outside more in the last few games than all of last season.

This I believe to be the influence of his manager and as such, considering his natural talent, I believe with the correct influence, training and development we could have a very good player on our hands in the very near future.

Having said that, I also believe we have another star in the making with Josh Murphy.

[quote user="pete"]Although struggled in the Premier NR turned it on for U21''s if he continues to do so his value will not go down so keep him and see him blossom under NA.[/quote]

You understand he isn''t playing people U-21 in the Championship, right????

I see most of you jumps on the "praise Redmond and he will come good"-bandwagon.

yes, he is a decent player.

It is just a shame he is not using his left foot to whip in a cross once in a while, just to give the defender something else to think about. Because in 95% of the time he is one-on-one, he sprints down to his left, cuts back onto his right, advances 5-10 yards infield, and unleashed a shot either way wide or way over the bar.

If he could just use his pace, sometimes, to go to the line and whip it in with his left, without cutting back, strikers will be rushing towards goal and more likely to score than from the stand-still crossed he now provides. It is almost as seeing Snodgrass crossing last season, albeit with a bit more pace before the cross is delivered.

All running in the box has long stopped when the cross finally comes (if he hasn''t already scuffed it into row Z with a missed shot by then).

Yes, I am perhaps overly critical. After all he is a young player, and for all we know, may have been poorly coached by Hughton last season (not unlikely at all). But I would like to see him play in the right, get around his marker, and whip in some crosses.

It is all too predictable with Redmond on the left, especially early on in games.

Better as a second half sub when opposition legs are tiring, maybe

And yes, I am aware his left foot is not more useful than to stand on...but he could still try crossing with it sometimes, instead of slowing down the movement in the box

It''s about confidence though, even if it is against Wales U21s etc. He wouldn''t get that in the Prem right now.

Also Grefstad, he had a shot on target on Saturday with his left foot , so not all bad ;)

[quote user="pete"]The only rumours re Saints after Redmond is coming from Canary sources. Nothing coming out of St Mary''s according to today''s press. They are after Townsend at Spurs for £12m Spurs not doing business however. May change if cannot get Townsend possibly be after Redmond. Price should go up from the £6m quoted to Stoke because of how long to go in transfer window.

http://carrowroad.net/cnews/index.php?post=koeman-chasing-redmond-again[/quote]Daily Mirror says they are going to come in for him again with an improved bid of £4 million , so if we value him at over £6 million they are still going to be way short .

young English

and going my his under 21 team mates

9-15m but... wouldn''t pay that for him

but the going rate is in that bracket

It''s players that are going to get us back into the Premier League, not money sitting in the bank. So not even for £20m, unless we definitely have a replacement lined up who is at least as good or better than Redmond. And even then we would be taking a risk, as any replacement would need time to gel with the rest of the team, and time is something we don''t really have now, with the season well under way.

We are not desperate for money just now, so please Neil, just say no!

[quote user="Paul101"]young English

and going my his under 21 team mates

9-15m but... wouldn''t pay that for him

but the going rate is in that bracket[/quote]

Every single player that has played for the U-21s is of exactly the same value. Yep, truly the case... Seriously...

I have to say this argument about how much better he is for the u-21s is absolutely pointless: the clue is in the title ''u-21'' - defenders he was up against in the PL, and now in the Champs, are older, better, and many are full internationals - it isn''t surprising he fares better against younger inexperienced guys.

As for what he''s worth in cash terms, I''d reckon on £6m or so, but his value to us is more - he is a decent player and has been used as often as possible so the managers think highly of him, also keeping him in the face of PL interest would send a signal of intent to our opponents.

For me it would entirely depend whether they would pay for his potential (which may of may not be realised).

His weapons are much sought after: pace, direct running, fearlessness, willingness to shoot. He would look great on an agent''s compiled video.

Those who watch him regularly will know that his end product lags a considerable distance behind his potential. He scares teams, but not good teams. His habit of delaying a half second when presented with ideal opportunities, suggests a mind that is overexcited and freezes when faced with options and decisions.

The (mind) freedom to do what you want, when you want, is only available at lower levels.

Despite any negative message sent selling a good asset - we have Murphy let''s not forget - any cash price north of £8m would represent good business.

Parma, do you have the same feeling I do - that actually Murphy is the better long-term bet? His decision making seems so much better, & I''m not sure Redmond will ever have that ability coached into him.

Ron, I would betray my roots if I didn''t want to (to some degree artificially) favour home grown talent. Murphy has many of Redmond''s assets and cannot develop if he does not play. As noted on an old Nathan Redmond thread:

"As for Redmond, some of you are denying what your eyes tell you:

Redmond has weapons and value, though he has limitations. His potential is high, with his pace and direct running, though his end product returns are low.

Tactically - at a higher level - he is a liability playing in wide areas, as his structural positioning is poor. He displays a tic upon receiving the ball - often in ideal areas for him - whereby he delays for half a second before accelerating. This strange habit has either not be spotted of not been coached out of him. Either way it is to the massive detriment of a key party of his game. It is possible that this is the product of the brain delaying before evaluating the options, or almost a freeze moment at the excitement of the awaited opportunity.

Technically his shooting style is imperfect and he is not a clean striker of the ball, something else coaches need to address.

Pace is a priceless asset in the 2nd tier and he would be a great weapon there, but we to now have pace from the murphys, grabban and both full backs if Olsson stays and bennett plays in that position (a key role well suited to him if employing the diamond).

Given the above -and given that we haven''t get addressed the coaching issues that will impede the realisation of redmond''s potential - then a fast return upwards of £6m cash plus conditions, would represent a good return.

If we are going to give our own youth a chance, then that chance must inevitably come (slightly) before they are ready. Murphy must play games. The equation is therefore "Norwich - Redmond + £6.5m cash + Murphy + Murphy''s potential after 25 games played"

I think perhaps given that we are in a lower league, with the premier attractive to any player, plus premier teams getting twitchy to improve squads and appease restless fans, with quite a few still awash with cash, we might even get £8m. If any club offers beyond the value of a replaceable asset, any business would be foolish not to accept.

I''d be inclined to keep Redmond at this point, despite acknowledging that he needs to improve his end product. A player with his pace and ability to beat people frightens defences and makes things happen - especially at this level.

Btw, I wonder if his ''end product'' problem might be helped by a spell under a good sports psychologist - he seems fine in training (and, strangely, for England?) - I don''t see a ''technical'' issue with the way he shoots or crosses - but you can sense the blood rushing to his head as he gets near goal.

Someone suggested to me the other day that Adams should brief Redmond to storm into the box whenever possible and to forget about end product altogether, and that he''d be worth his weight in penalties. Who knows? That would panic most championship defences, I''m sure (so long as they don''t know about his end product problem!).

My feeing is that he will come good and will be a great player for us, hopefully for a few years. I agree that its the right time for Josh Murphy to benefit from more game time, but I don''t really see him and Redmond as similar players, let alone interchangeable. I want both! We are lucky to have that dilemma, with two such talented youngsters (don''t forget Redmond is only 20, less than a year older than Murphy).

On the other hand, who knows if Redmond will come good, or when? I suppose I might almost be tempted to sell... If we could get top dollar from Southampton or someone else, and if we could reinvest it in a top quality replacement before this window closes. A lot of ifs. I guess that the board are in a better position than me to make that judgement call, if it becomes an option, since they alone know who they are stalking as the window closes. If there is no good replacement in the frame already, there is no point in selling now, surely?