Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Southampton reviving interest in Redmond

According to the Sun this morning Mr Koeman is back for Redmond. I imagine we''d tell him to do one if true. Adams will get the best out of him and he has good competition pushing him on

I would personally take the money,

On his day he is unplayable but he is not consistent enough in my opionion.

His end product is frequently woeful and u can''t see him becoming more consistent in the future.

If we don''t cash in on him now I feel he may miss the boat

I''d be reluctant to sell him as we don''t have a great deal of pace in the side. If he could improve his end product we''d have an excellent player on our hands. Hopefully this will come with age.

I am sure that he is getting a lot of coaching and I do feel that there are signs he is improving.

Now would be the wrong time to sell him, I feel, as his value could really increase if he has a good season this year.

We don''t need to sell, and if nothing else his value will be more in January due to the stupid rules of transfer windows.

I know that we all moan about him, but the other teams seem to take him seriously, judging by the number of men they put on him.

Thought he was very good against Ipsh#t ,his pace kept their fullbacks on the back foot!!!.

Stupid if we sell him as it looks like he is starting to get into this season!!.

Southampton are stupid if they think 3-5 mill will even get us to consider it, I would say as Southampton are minted we would be looking for out transfer record to be broken again!!

If Redmond possessed the end product we all crave for, we wouldn''t be having these conversations. He would have gone from Birmingham to Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs in all likelihood.

As for Southampton, they have the means and the motive, if they match our valuation, then he will leave.

[quote user="vlad666"]I''d be reluctant to sell him as we don''t have a great deal of pace in the side. If he could improve his end product we''d have an excellent player on our hands. Hopefully this will come with age.[/quote]Ah, but what age?  How long do we have to wait, we have little enough improvement so far.  If someone wants to pay silly money now, let''s be having some of it.  His progress has been minimal.

If they bidding £12m for Townsend we could ask for £10m. I dont think hes started the season that great BUT i think once the.confidence comes back he will destroy this division, i for one hope we dont sell him. He will come good and a full.season in the champ wil do him the world of good.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="vlad666"]I''d be reluctant to sell him as we don''t have a great deal of pace in the side. If he could improve his end product we''d have an excellent player on our hands. Hopefully this will come with age.[/quote]Ah, but what age?  How long do we have to wait, we have little enough improvement so far.  If someone wants to pay silly money now, let''s be having some of it.  His progress has been minimal.[/quote]

The lad is 20 years old for Christ''s sake - only months older than the Murphys.

Interesting that Blackburn simply told Hull that Rhodes isn''t for sale and that appears to be an end of the matter.....because Blackburn know that by selling him,so with it goes any chance they may have of promotion this year.

Not saying that Redmond is the make or break of our chances this season but it will be a good test of how strong our "we dodn''t need to sell" stance exactly is after the other sales this summer so far?

Redmond is a problem for defences, end product or no end product.  He is Snodgrass with pace - a problem to other teams without much end product (yes I know RS scored a few goals, but so will Redmond) and if Snodgrass was worth £8m, then Redmond must be worth at least that imo.    However, Redmond would do well to find a level of performance with some end product before he goes for big money and the expectation that goes with that.   No better place to do that than with us.  

[quote user="killiecanary"]

The lad is 20 years old for Christ''s sake - only months older than the Murphys.[/quote]It would be nice to see improvement and an end product..............we see neither, which should have nothing to do with his age.  At what age do you suggest it''s OK for him to show improvemnt and end product?

He showed signs of an improved end product did a couple of nice link ups with Grabben which unless iam mistaken it takes time to form bonds

Redmond/holahoop/grabben/laffs have only just started to play together and all of them had missed passes on Saturday

but... they are slowly starting to gel more week in and week out

I really like Redmond and I think he''ll develop into a top player but if I''m being honest, with our current situation I''d take 10 million provided it was invested straight back into the team.

He will be amazing but right now we could get a more effective winger and strengthen in other areas that would help our promotion push no end.

For me we''re still one powerful center midfielder, right back and two wingers short of almost guaranteed promotion

The only players we should be getting rid of now are Bunn, Bassong, Surman and Becchio!

Sign at least one more and our squad will be decent!

Still young, and learning, but I have not seen enough from Redmond to make me believe he is going to be a top player.

Woeful end product. Not got good crosses, not got a good shot, and his vision is certainly not good. Add to it poor decision making.

I would not say no to 6.5-7.5 mill for him

I think it''s vital to keep any of the players that started the last 2-3 games now. Even if we netted £10mil+ for Redmond now, I find it hard to see where we will have the time to get someone in of similar ability before the transfer window slams shut.

Redmond is currently a couple of inches either way off of being brilliant. As others have said, I''m sure he''s being coached extensively by our backroom staff and he''s going to have a multitude of opportunities per game to hone his skills in practice.

I''d much rather see where he''s at in a years time than make a quick buck now.

Not convinced a move to Southampton would be good for us or him. Another 12 months gaining confidence and playing regularly would be good for both parties.

He is exciting, and at times frustrating, but always gives 100%. Hope he stays.

Agree that end product needs work, but he scares defenders 5hitless with his pace. He''s often double marked which leaves more space for the rest of our attack - he is one we should keep if we are serious about getting promotion at the first attempt.

He is integral to the current system working, defends deep but pace worries the opposition, incl when he does not have the ball, creating space for his team mates.

As for no end product he remains the most accurate crosser at the club and has a high pass completion rate, so rarely loses possession.

Keep for me

Yep. Keep him and by saying this I find I''m agreeing with LDC!!!

I think he is improving and I''m sure he has the benefit of better coaching though it couldn''t get worse than he had last season. I also feel he is beginning to benefit from better movement off the ball from our players. Oppo defenders are worried about his pace and that alone is creating space for the likes of Wes and Grabban for example.

Not sure I buy this "pace worries the opposition" stuff.

Yes, to a certain degree it does, but I have yet not seen defenders being totally outrun by Redmond, because he "always" cuts back on his right foot, which gives defenders time to recover, or to "guide" him in centrally where he usually blasts a shot into row Z.

Imho, Redmond would be a better option coming from the bench in the last half hour, when legs of the opposition is starting to tire.

If he does that for a few games, his chances of scoring will imho be increased, and as such, his self confidence increases.

When on song, he is a real handful, but so far this season I have not seen much confidence from young Redmond to support his hype.

Too late now as i dont think any change of a replacement like for like.

You can improve crossing and shooting especially when its not a problem of technique with NR its just he seems to snatch at things which will get better with more and more games in the more forgiving championship.

He does however do what you cannot teach he is fast and has a shoulder/step that beats the first man 9 out of ten times 10.

In football - rugby -etc etc this is a diamond raw material

I don''t want to change any member of a winning team now TBH

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is integral to the current system working, defends deep but pace worries the opposition, incl when he does not have the ball, creating space for his team mates.

As for no end product he remains the most accurate crosser at the club and has a high pass completion rate, so rarely loses possession.

Keep for me[/quote]Zipper, the first part of the highlighted section of your post, you surely jest.  If Redmond is the most accurate crosser at the club then we are in dire straits.  As many others have commented his crossing is poor to be polite, and as for his pass completion rate, better than it was I''ll readily admit, but high, no, no more than average.  Let''s keep our facts accurate shall we?[;)]

I''ve found Redmond frustrating to watch at times. And regardless of his age, I think some criticism is fair when he''s in the starting 11.

That said, he was excellent against Ipswich and caused them all sorts of problems, dragging players out of position and in turn creating space and chances for others. I hope this is the sign of things to come.

People are saying £9-10m. So we could sell him now for £9-10m and have less chance of promotion. Or we could not sell him and have a better chance of promotion and sell him for around £15-16m in a few years.....mmm which one?

We have no need to sell him & if we did we wouldn''t necessarily get anyone better.Yes he has his faults but they will be overcome in time.He''s not helped by the crowd getting on his back the first poor cross or shot he puts in. This just makes him try too hard & make more silly errorsJust give him time & encouragement & he will deliver.

We are looking like we will be quite a successful side this season, so why sell him? He would flourish in a winning, ''go forward'' team, whereas at Southampton, he is unlikely to be guaranteed, constant, first choice. He might as well rip defences apart this season, and, with a bit of luck, do the same next, in the Prem League.

He plays well for the U21s, so he certainly has something to offer going forward.

Totally agree with Haggerdo when he talks of the fear created by Redmonds pace. It is the pace which means when he has beaten a defender, he does not have to worry about beating him again. i.e. unlike Snodgrass (and to an extent Hoolahan), he is quick enough to lose them. Haggerdoo''s other point is also true, Redmond demands the attention of more than one defender, thus freeing space for teammates.

I have to say though, I can''t get my head around how good his initial control and running at defenders are and yet his final delivery (be it shot, pass or cross) are so woeful.

Can this be coached or have you either got it or not?