Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Murphy v Redmond

Is it just me or does Josh Murphy seem to offer much more than Redmond and, therefore, deserving the starting place?

Not saying Redmond isn''t a good player- he is. I just wonder why he has such a bigger reputation when Josh Murphy seems to turn it on every time he pulls On the shirt for us. Certainly goals per minutes played he is head and shoulders on top....

Both young and hungry, but when you''ve paid some £3m, and in two seasons Redmond still has no clue whatsoever about crossing or hitting the target, it''s quite worrying.Murphy on the other hand, to me should start ahead of Redmond, after seeing him last night. Great skills, fast and hungry, but miles more natural when it comes to crossing, and certainly knows how to finish. Murphy coming through is like a new player!

On the ball and when we''re out of possession Redmond is absolutely miles ahead of Murphey. But I''d say Murphey has a much better shot, cross and final ball and is a much more confident positive player currently.

I disagree with people who say Murphey is just an inferior Redmond, to me they''ve both got completely different strengths and weaknesses.

I want them to both get equal game time. Redmond will burn himself out playing every game and Murphey needs to start playing more

I think they are quite different players considering how similar they initially look. Redomnd has much better ability at going past a man, which is a great skill to have. In general possession he is also better, and his passing has come on a lot. Funny how he can''t always pick out a cross, but his use of the ball in other areas is very good. I just think he is putting too much pressure on himself in that final third at the moment. Murphy on the other hand is better at picking a cross. Probably much better than he is at picking a pass in other areas of the pitch. He is also a much better finisher. A natural finisher I would say - and although I haven''t seen loads of him, I think that might be his greatest asset. I wouldn''t be surprised to see him as a forward eventually as a bit of a Theirry Henry type. Overall I think they are two plays who should be ale to work well together - Redomnd skins his man, picks out a nice pass to Murphy, who takes it on and finishes it. Lovely Jubbly.

They both bring something different to the team, depends on how Neil wants to play things, I do think that they can provide great motivation for each other.

I think that the strikers/wingers have had some special coaching on shooting. Bradley and Redders, in particular usually aim for and achieve just inside the post, with very little blasting.

To provide my thoughts on the topic:.

Redder''s shooting is now more accurate, and he has a good shot with either foot. I think that shooting as soon as he..., means he is usually shooting from outside the area. I think that Josh has a stronger shot, and can score from any reasonable range.

In pace, in a straight line Josh may slightly shade it, but if an element of dribbling and tight close control is needed Redders is better.

In passing accuracy, and certainly in crossing I feel that Josh wins by some margin.

In experience Redders has been playing in the top two divisions for four years, while Josh has played in a few games, often as a substitute. Redders has much more experience, but when Josh has acquired a few more games I think that he will become a cracking player. Next summer the "big boys" could well be sniffing around Josh rather than Redders!

So, not too much difference between them currently, and I hope that both continue to develop, and cause havoc among defenders for years to come.

I think last night Murphy showed what he can bring defensively. I''d say he is just as good going past players as Redmond is and, judging by the number of offsides Redmond has had of late, just as good with his positioning. I just cant see an argument for not starting Josh right now.

I can see it now. Redmond gets sold and many of his critics on here start rejoicing because he didn''t develop into as good a player as Cristiano Ronaldo is in the space of 18 months (by the way, even Cristiano Ronaldo didn''t become as good as he is in the space of 18 months, his first 2 or 3 years at Man Utd he had no final ball either!). Josh Murphy then gets given a run of 10 or so games in the first team and the same people who are complaining about Redmond''s weaknesses figure out that Murphy isn''t the finished article either and they start demanding that he is dropped for Jacob, because Jacob is obviously the better of the two brothers as he hasn''t made many mistakes in the 2 games he''s started for the club!!My goodness! Shall we give them all sometime to mature as footballers before weighing them down with unrealistic expectations of them all being as good as Messi by the time they turn 20!!!

"Is it just me or does Josh Murphy seem to offer much more than Redmond and, therefore, deserving the starting place?"

Nope, it isn''t just you. Have you missed all the callers to Canary Call have said much the same plus all those who have posted something similar on this board? Adams isn''t stupid. There may yet be an offer we can''t refuse for Redmond so he needs to be in the shop window and the last thing NA wants is a transfer request from an unhappy player. But Redmond does a good job - as far as it goes, taking pressure off the defence and although an individual in style, he''s very much a team player. Murphy''s time will come and quite soon.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]  Josh Murphy seems to turn it on every time he pulls On the shirt for us. [/quote]

Does he?

I think there were a few times last season when he failed to have any impact and looked out of his depth.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]  Josh Murphy seems to turn it on every time he pulls On the shirt for us. [/quote]

Does he?

I think there were a few times last season when he failed to have any impact and looked out of his depth.

[/quote]

Exactly.   Has started this season well from the bench but does not mean he is ready to play a 40 game season.

Both are talented pacy exciting prospects who are only 20 and patently still learning their game.    Let them spur each other on giving us great options.

For me Redmonds experience shows in games and makes him the better all round player right now - that may not be the case come the end of the season - but in the meantime keep both potentially great players   

is it brave to say that Josh Murphy will go for a higer transfer fee and play at a better standard than Redmond will?

Might be worth seeing how Josh does after playing regular first team football.

[quote user="GJP"]

Might be worth seeing how Josh does after playing regular first team football.

[/quote]

Far too sensible - much easier to have a go at one of this seasons fall guys...

The answer is to play one and keep one ready on the bench and the odd times needed move Laffs alongside Grabben an play both on each wing.

I don''t see anything other than positives of having two outstanding young players.