Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Overrated players

This post may spark up controversy but I wondered which of our own players we as fans overrate.

I''m going to go with, Elliot Bennet, great lad, great personality and I respect he''s not fully match fit yet because of his long term injury, but I still don''t think he''s as good as people make him out to be. Though I''d love to be proved wrong.

I say Olsson because I actually think in this division Garrido is pretty decent, IMO I think he has a better delivery and eye for a pass than Olsson, though I''d say maybe Olsson is better at defending.

Any other opinions?

[quote user="Viva Marc Libbra"]Wes Hoolahan. The most overrated of overrated players.[/quote]

are you ill

Are you ill?How can you say the youth are overrated when they''ve barely had a chance.

Grant Holt was allegeded to have been ''over eated''and Muscat mave have been overhated, by somehopefully that helps

Howson.I''ve been watching him for years and still can''t work out just what it is that he''s supposed to bring to the team.

I also think E.Bennett got a lot to play for this season. He has been out for most of last season, and we need to give him time to get up to speed, but so far he has not shown anything which suggests he should be ahead of Josh Murphy in the pecking order.

He was hyped up when he arrived from Brighton, and did very well there, in a attacking mid role, but at Norwich he has rarely been given a chance to play that role, but instead been used mostly as a winger (apart from THAT game vs Tottenham where he was brilliant in an advanced centre mid role).

Adams seems to rate him, but if he has not made a favourable impression by November, I struggle to see him coming good again.

He had a career threatening injury, and was out for so long that it could be hard for him to find his old mojo.

I think it''s worth discussing

Hoolahan, whilst creative once or twice didn''t have a good game against Ipswich but some thought he was class. For me he''s a little inconsistent but you have him in the team because he will create something special

By the way, the ball garrido played through to grabban only for grabban to fluff it, superb, garrido falls under the underrated bracket for me

[quote user="Yobocop"]I think it''s worth discussing

Hoolahan, whilst creative once or twice didn''t have a good game against Ipswich but some thought he was class. For me he''s a little inconsistent but you have him in the team because he will create something special

By the way, the ball garrido played through to grabban only for grabban to fluff it, superb, garrido falls under the underrated bracket for me[/quote]so given your postit should actually be that some players are over rated, but not by all

quite a stunning observation about the gamewell worth a thread

Has anyone seen garrido tackle/attempt to tackle? Don''t get me wrong He''s quality on the ball and quite right in saying his delivery is superb but he just dives in wrecklessly and often gets beaten by pace. As a complete player defensively Olsson is absolutely streaks ahead. Will be number 1 left back for a long time.

As for hoolahan he will always be outstanding in the championship but will always struggle in the prem. the diamond formation suits him down to the ground but it''s such an expansive formation to play in the prem he often gets lost and shipped out wide when you may as well just not play him. He has the best vision of any Norwich player by miles but at times he runs into trouble spinning around the ball until he gets dizzy.

Back to the actual post about overrated players, I personally don''t think any player is. My above comments may seem to contradict but 25000 people watch different games of football and everyone has different opinions on who they do and don''t rate. Sitting high up in the Barclay I like to watch the game from above and look at a more tactical view, whereas people sitting in row 1 will see an entirely different aspect of the game.

I am over the moon with the three league wins in a row with a cup game game making it 4 wins in a row in all competitions it''s a stark contrast on that performance at wolves. however I can still think of a couple of overrated players.

Hoolahan - just because he can do a fancy 360 spin on the ball doesn''t make him brillian with the fact he will then loose the ball after he does his fancy turn. Fans have been getting in Redmond''s back for his final ball but wes has been the biggest culprit for the last 3 seasons hence why he always try''s the short corners e.t.c

Turner - we seem to love to overage our defenders from Garry Doherty to Micheal Nelson, Turner struggles to Halle without pulling and pushing his man, his clearances are woeful with his 50p head and feet.

R.Bennet - again another overrated defender, this "up and coming talent" clearly only lambert thought this when he first bought him as the 2 managers we have had since clearly see his true talent and isn''t good enough.

Russell Martin and Steven Whittaker are the most overated players we have. Average at best.

Full back positions are defo the area to strengthen especially if we gain promotion.

Whittaker seems to be one of our most criticised players. Don''t think that fits with him being overrated.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]I am over the moon with the three league wins in a row with a cup game game making it 4 wins in a row in all competitions it''s a stark contrast on that performance at wolves. however I can still think of a couple of overrated players.

Hoolahan - just because he can do a fancy 360 spin on the ball doesn''t make him brillian with the fact he will then loose the ball after he does his fancy turn. Fans have been getting in Redmond''s back for his final ball but wes has been the biggest culprit for the last 3 seasons hence why he always try''s the short corners e.t.c

Turner - we seem to love to overage our defenders from Garry Doherty to Micheal Nelson, Turner struggles to Halle without pulling and pushing his man, his clearances are woeful with his 50p head and feet.

R.Bennet - again another overrated defender, this "up and coming talent" clearly only lambert thought this when he first bought him as the 2 managers we have had since clearly see his true talent and isn''t good enough.[/quote]

Didn''t we stay up the 2 seasons in the prem Wes played a big part in?

Season we were relegated only started about 10 times?

Find me some stats where he misplaces passes a lot or gets dispossessed a lot and I will agree with you.

Perception doesn''t make your opinion correct.

I''m talking about disposition not pass compleation as wes likes to steal the ball from under some ones nose then pass it back to them 3 ft away

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/19541/History/Wes-Hoolahan

Their are some stats for you the best season he had was the first prem season 25 games played 7 assists but only 0.7 dribbles compleated

All in all for a "creative player" 67 games played with 13 assists doesn''t impress me especially When you take in to consideration that a defensive midfielder in Bradley Johnson has the same amount of assists granted having played more games.

Although I wouldn''t say wes is overrated, he is a very frustrating player in the sense that for every 1 game in which he plays brilliantly he has 2 or 3 in which he constantly loses the ball. He really is a player who splits opinion.

For me, I think that Bradley Johnson was our most overrated player up until the start of this season. So far I think he has been our best player, deserves the praise he has been given recently and long may it continue!

But he''s never constantly lost the ball, his pass rate is one of the better at the club and given it is a commonly known fact players higher up the pitch get dispossessed more, his stats dont say he gets disproportionately dispossessed more.

What all those stats on Wes does NOT say, is that he is often the cathalyst for our attacks, perhaps not the guy actually delivering the assist, but Wes delivered the assist for the assist.

I\m sure you understand what I\m trying to say.

Such players are invaluable to a team, as they make the attacks "gel". Espescially when we are expected to boss possession, which I believe we will do in most games in a 4-2-3-1 formation in this league.

Perhaps a more pertinent question might me this:

Which players have taken longer to recover from the side-effects of the previous management team?

There''s not one single player who is overrated in my opinion, rather a few of them such as Whittacker seem only now to be shaking off the hangover of Cashmere Chris and the Two Stooges.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]What''s 0.7 dribbles completed please?

Is it 70% completed?

Is it less than 1 completed?

Is it less than 1% completed[/quote]

Out of the number of dribbles wes tries he compleated less than one

I don''t think Hoolahan is overrated. Though I do think we became over reliant on him.

Because he''s seen as an attacking type of midfielder some people judge him by what they like to see as the traditional criteria for an attacking mid - has to score plenty of goals and provide dozens of defence splitting through balls. But how many of these players are actually around? If you look through the Champs top scorers last season I don''t think you''ll see too many midfielders up there and similarly I don''t think they''ll have a monopoly on assists either.

Hoolahan is different because he''s a link man. He moves around the pitch and links up play out on the right, through the middle or out on the left.