Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Norwich sign McGrandles

Very interesting signing. Will he be a first-teamer or with the youth set up? Well done to Holt who had a big say in this deal.

The Falkirk fans are gutted. Really, really rate him. May need a bit of building up in the gym though!

To my shaky knowledge he is the second player we have signed from Falkirk, ever.

Quiz Q?  Who was the first?

For older members.

(I was a youngster, but remember him as he was later our next door neighbour.)

it''s worth noting the contrats between the Falkirk manager''s response, and the self pitying whinging of John Gregory

"Falkirk boss Peter Houston told his club’s website: “Conor was always

a player who was going to move on and play at a higher level. This was

a fantastic opportunity for him and we wish him well at Norwich.

“It

is also fantastic for our club – an endorsement of our commitment to

our academy and to bringing young players into the first team at a very

early stage.

“We

said we will only sell another player this window if the offer was

absolutely exceptional. This was – and it allows us to strengthen the

team and have the funds to look at other developments at the club.”

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Must be Jim Oliver - remember that brilliant hat trick against Stoke in 1965. [/quote]

http://canaryseventyninety.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/stars-of-past-jim-oliver.html

Enjoyed reading that piece, Drazen That game against Stoke was memorable because the great Stanley Matthews played at 50 yrs old, also Jimmy McIlroy, a fantastic Irish player. We had several injuries prior to the match and had to play several reserves, but what a result 6-0 in front of over 25,000. Very happy memories.

"Must be Jim Oliver - remember that brilliant hat trick against Stoke in 1965."

That was super quick JF. I had a few clues lined up too.

Jim settled in the City eventually and had a sports business.

Have to say, building a good team for the future, very good to sign such a highly rated youngster.

I would love to see if we could pull off getting Nathon Ake too. Doubt Chelsea would need him and they will more than likely buy before giving this lad the chance he could get here.

Great times, holding on to Redmond & Murphy now McGradles........looking good.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 27/08/2014 7:46 PM:

What a match!

Barry Staton our left back up against a 50-year-old right winger for Stoke ......... Stanley Matthews.

All the photographers went behind our goal .......... most of the goals went in the other end!

I would expect that he will join the development squad, I don''t think he''d be ready for a first team place just yet. Very good signing for the future though, sounds like the lad has lots of potential.

I doubt after 82 first team games he will be happy playing under 21 football good enough ? lets see give him a whirl ! I don''t think Redmond will be here after mon pm so murphy and him can play on the wing

The lad clearly has bags of potential judging by the rave reviews coming from the Falkirk management and the clubs fans.To have 80+ first team appearances by the age of 18 is impressive, no matter what professional level they''ve been played at.I''d like to think Conor is worthy of a place on the bench in the not-too-distant future, with maybe a few late sub appearances in carefully selected games, depending on the match circumstances, to ease him in to this big step up. You never know, he could be more ready than we think.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

That was super quick JF. I had a few clues lined up too.

Jim settled in the City eventually and had a sports business.

[/quote]

I worked with his oldest son in Norwich. I think all of the Oliver family are still in Norwich.

I have a sneaking feeling Fork Handles is coming in as a direct replacement for Redmond. Sounds like a similar sort of player, and can''t see him being signed after so many senior games just to be played in the development squad. I think Adams knows Redmond''s on his way but who knows eh?

[quote user="Alex "]I have a sneaking feeling Fork Handles is coming in as a direct replacement for Redmond. Sounds like a similar sort of player, and can''t see him being signed after so many senior games just to be played in the development squad. I think Adams knows Redmond''s on his way but who knows eh?[/quote]Why can''t he just be the direct replacement for Pilks? We haven''t really replaced him yet.Redmond will still be here I think.

[quote user="thas a rummun"][quote user="Alex "]I have a sneaking feeling Fork Handles is coming in as a direct replacement for Redmond. Sounds like a similar sort of player, and can''t see him being signed after so many senior games just to be played in the development squad. I think Adams knows Redmond''s on his way but who knows eh?[/quote]Why can''t he just be the direct replacement for Pilks? We haven''t really replaced him yet.Redmond will still be here I think.[/quote]Or Snodgrass either.

[quote user="thas a rummun"][quote user="Alex "]I have a sneaking feeling Fork Handles is coming in as a direct replacement for Redmond. Sounds like a similar sort of player, and can''t see him being signed after so many senior games just to be played in the development squad. I think Adams knows Redmond''s on his way but who knows eh?[/quote]Why can''t he just be the direct replacement for Pilks? We haven''t really replaced him yet.Redmond will still be here I think.[/quote]Apparently he can play in various positions but left-wing is one of them, and we indeed don''t have an out and out left-winger in the squad now that Pilkingon has gone, unless one of the Murphys counts (I haven''t seen either play). This was partly why I placed McGrandles on the left-wing in my TRANSFER WINDOW thread.

Here''s hoping he doesn''t turn into another Butterfield.

Judging by the reaction of Falkirk''s fans we may well have found ourselves a diamond.

I agree with Alex - it seems that we currently have three (maybe four if you count Jacob) highly rated youngsters to compete for the same position. Can''t see that McG will have joined in the knowledge that he will just be a second/third choice backup. If we still have Redmond after Monday I''ll obviously be pleasantly surprised, but, if not, it looks as if we''ve got ourselves in the happy position where he won''t be missed too much

Seems like they think it was 1mil too (sorry if a price has been quoted, just not read it), which would be a steal if he were an English youngster with bags of potential.

quote user="cornish sam"]Is anyone else finding themselves reading his name in Ronny Barker''s voice?[/quote

After a series of crimes in the Glasgow area, Chief Inspector Conor McGrandles has announced that he''s looking for a man with one eye. If he doesn''t find him, he''s going to use both eyes

"After a series of crimes in the Glasgow area, Chief Inspector Conor McGrandles has announced that he''s looking for a man with one eye. If he doesn''t find him, he''s going to use both eyes."

Like it! [:D]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]quote user="cornish sam"]Is anyone else finding themselves reading his name in Ronny Barker''s voice?[/quote After a series of crimes in the Glasgow area, Chief Inspector Conor McGrandles has announced that he''s looking for a man with one eye. If he doesn''t find him, he''s going to use both eyes[/quote]

Beautiful.... His wit is sorely missed....

From what I read on the Falkirk forums he now more of an inside forward or number 7 (to use an old fashion term). Not a replacement for Redmond, perhaps a long term replacement for Wes?