Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

did our fluid formation cost us today?

The way we set up, the front 4 are currently swapping positions - Redmond, lafferty and Grabban were all over the pitch. There are obvious benefits to this - however I felt today we were our own worst enemy

There seemed to be times where we had nobody in the box, Grabban would pull wide to support Lafferty and the move would break down due to no central options. When Murphy came on we looked a lot better down the left

Then when Redmond went off, we seemed to be playing 442 with 3 in the middle and no right winger. At least once I can remember a ball being slid into an empty channel

Would we be better off telling Grabban/Hoolahan to stay central?

how can the players be swapping around and still be playing ''table footbll'' ?the actaully position of a player on the pitch is determined by who has the ball and where, not some nonsensical table fotball staic positioningeven Hughton wasn''t that bad

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]The way we set up, the front 4 are currently swapping positions - Redmond, lafferty and Grabban were all over the pitch. There are obvious benefits to this - however I felt today we were our own worst enemy

There seemed to be times where we had nobody in the box, Grabban would pull wide to support Lafferty and the move would break down due to no central options. When Murphy came on we looked a lot better down the left

Then when Redmond went off, we seemed to be playing 442 with 3 in the middle and no right winger. At least once I can remember a ball being slid into an empty channel

Would we be better off telling Grabban/Hoolahan to stay central?[/quote]I don''t think that he was playing a 3 man midfield in the 4-4-2 formation. The issue was that he decided to play Hoolahan on the wing rather than keep Redmond there. Unfortunately Wes is rather ill disciplined and is unwilling to hold his position, rather following the ball around like an excited puppy. That was the result of the ball down an empty channel as Tettey had to play a hurried pass to avoid being challenged by a Bournemouth player and our right winger had wondered off somewhere near our left back for reasons only he knows. If you can''t accommodate Wes in a free role in your team you''re probably better off not playing him in my opinion.