Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The One Thing We Cannot Afford To Keep Doing

There were a number of pointless fouls yesterday which could easily have led to red cards later in the game. Totally unnecessary IMO.

It looked like a planned tactic, like targeting gomez from distance, to stop their pacy forward run at us.

wes, lafferty and turners yellows were professional but ugly fouls to protect the team.

We also need to ensure we add a second goal when we can, before the equaliser (poor defending from redderz, who to be fair has admitted his error but also therest of the back four who allowed wilson an unattended finish) we could have made the game safe but for some shoddy finishing from both grabban and lafferty.

wont find many better sides than bournemouth though, they played well yest

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]It looked like a planned tactic, like targeting gomez from distance, to stop their pacy forward run at us.

wes, lafferty and turners yellows were professional but ugly fouls to protect the team.

We also need to ensure we add a second goal when we can, before the equaliser (poor defending from redderz, who to be fair has admitted his error but also therest of the back four who allowed wilson an unattended finish) we could have made the game safe but for some shoddy finishing from both grabban and lafferty.

wont find many better sides than bournemouth though, they played well yest[/quote]
Garrido is just as much to blame. I just can''t understand his thought process. There was no need for him to press the opposition player in that zone (quite central and just advanced of the half-way line). Left a huge gap for Bournemouth to exploit that shouldn''t have been there. Redmond could''ve done better in tracking the full-backs run, but Garrido should''ve been in the correct defensive position in the first place, offering the team extra security. 
 Garrido''s position for goal here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04grpv0/the-football-league-show-20142015-30082014 (around 16 minutes)

Can i add "Taking quick free kicks" to the list of things we cannot afford to keep doing. We seem do every game and they are normally awfull. We did it twice yesterday, get the guys forward from the back, take a quick free kick and end up passing it back to behind from where the free kick was given in the 1st place.

To be fair, Hoolahan''s foul was, as they say, a ''tactical foul''. If he didn''t bring down Wilson there then he was pretty much away. Worth the yellow card IMO.

But yeah, we can''t keep having that amount of people booked every game. I can see Michael Turner not only getting a huge amount of bookings this season, but quite a few red cards. Most of the time he times his challenges to perfection, but when he doesn''t get it right, he takes the player out nearly every time.

I think once we settle into the way adams wants us to play, once we lose the ball we will have more confidence in the knowledge of where everyone is on the pitch and their roles. Everytime we lose the ball on halfway it seems as if our mentality is to panic as though they are going to catch us on the break. The wes and lafferty ones were uncalled for we had enough bodies back, yes they would''ve got down the line but we still had enough cover.

I agree, although I do feel that it shows the players are committed, even if over-physically. This is surely better than last year when they used to back-pedal and concede space.

There is another major problem. We have a slightly weak defence, exploited by Prem teams last year. This problem is a momentary lapse in concentration. Yesterday NA had instructed them on whom and how to mark. This time it was Redders, glaringly, but someone in the centre had not picked up Wilson.

I''m not sure how to overcome this, but overcome it must be, or else we shall leak goals as we did last year .The personnel are the same, in midfield and defence, and Hughton was reputed to be defensively orientated. I hope that when stronger midfielders play there will be less need for defensive contribution by the wingers, but it will not disappear.