Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Comparison

Having watched Leicester, QPR & even Burnley in the Prem it is noticable how better they are competing/adapting than we did when first promoted when it was a bit like men against boys! They appear to be giving far less respect to the big boys!Maybe the standard between Championship/Premier League is gradually closing.

I don''t recall that either - there were always odd games where we weren''t quite at the races each season but IMO we never looked out of our depth in any way

[quote user="Derby Canary"]Having watched Leicester, QPR & even Burnley in the Prem it is noticable how better they are competing/adapting than we did when first promoted when it was a bit like men against boys! They appear to be giving far less respect to the big boys!Maybe the standard between Championship/Premier League is gradually closing.[/quote]eh ?I''m afraid that is not true

When we first went up we tried to win every game of football. Even 3-1 down at the Etihad Lambert made an attacking substitution and threw on a second striker. Yes we lost it 5-1 but that was due to the opponents actual quality not us giving them too much respect.Plus I watched Burnley''s first game against Chelsea and men against boys described it quite well. Chelsea had a 3-1 lead at half time and coasted in the second half happy in the knowledge that they could turn on the style and get another goal if needed.

Between them, they''ve got 6 points from 9 games (i.e. 6 points from a possible 27)Burnley are bottom, Leicester are only 15th & QPR are total carpAt least 2 of them, & possibly all 3 will get relegated.I''d hardly call that adapting better than we did.

Between them, they''ve got 6 points from 9 games (i.e. 6 points from a possible 27)

Burnley are bottom, Leicester are only 15th & QPR are total carp

At least 2 of them, & possibly all 3 will get relegated.

I''d hardly call that adapting better than we did.

Agreed, think all 3 might come straight back down but there is a few teams trying their best to implode!

Very strange post by the OP - in our first season in the Prem under Lambert we gave the top teams no great respect and went for it in all games - Man C and Man U away were perfect examples, at Man U we created the better chances and were the better side but failed to take one of our good chances (e.g. Pilks through on the keeper) and conceded two late goals, while as has been said at Man C when we got a goal back to bring it to 3-1 everyone thought we could get more goals and I''d rather that approach and lose 5-1 than Hughton''s tame attitude.  Not seen anything to suggest Burnley, Leicester or QPR are doing as well as we did that season, never mind them showing a better approach than us !

Also with QPR''s recent time in the Prem, they''d be best equipped to adapt to the Prem you''d have thought, but actually they''re looking suprisingly poor all things considered.

Clearly with hindsight our back 4 weren''t up to Prem standards in our first year back, our gung-ho approach overcame that comfortably for a season - Lambert gambled by strengthening other areas and it came off.  Yes we did concede 5 penalties in the first 5 games I think, but that didn''t stop us getting good results right from the start.