Sign in to follow this  
WesHoolahansDefendant

if gary goes

Sadly I just don''t see Becchio having the will to play for this team. It''s sad, he''s a decent player at this level but was bought as a panic buy near the transfer deadline and has been dealt with rather shoddily (at least by the previous management). His heart isnt in it now and it would be beneficial for all concerned if he moved on. So in answer to the OP, if he leaves then one more first team striker is needed, we would only have Grabban, Jerome, and Lafferty  (assuming Loza isn''t quite ready).

Dimwit Cheap Cheap - why would Leicester buy a light weight non-proven Premier League player in McGoldrick over Hooper? Are you really that stupid to believe everything you read???? Wake up FFS. Do not believe everything you read you stupid fool

I believe the mcgoldrick rumours actually have some legs. Rhodes & McCormack for 12+ I wouldn''t be surprised if that is true.

Think we may well lose hooper to qpr if remy does leave for chelsea. As for another striker, who and where from? This late in the window I can see us trying to hold onto him as we won''t have time for a first choice replacement.

Whilst Gary Hooper didn''t set the Premier League on fire, with a limited tally and a fairly injury-hit season, price-inflation of players, epecially strikers, should mean we re-coup a bit more than our outlay.

We probably paid £5.5m all in and should expect at least a million more than that on the above basis alone and perhaps something more considering there is a bit of demand for him out there.

We would also need to buy a replacement in the same inflated market as has been pointed out above, apart from Grabban the others wouldn''t appear to be full of goals.

The ideal scenario for me would be c. £7.5m for Hooper and £1m for Becchio and therefore a substantial amount into the replacement budget. Even if time now permitted we would not be likely to spend anything like this on another striker at this stage though.

The funds built up by player sales (and hopefully it will be added to by £2m for SB at least) can be held usefully accruing interest in the bank until the winter window when hopefully Adams will be in a position to strengthen as needed for a promotion push. 

With regards to David McGoldrick. Such a signing would make sense from Leicester''s point of view, and I believe that this has some mileage. The £8m mentioned is nonsense in my opinion, even in today''s climate, and I suspect half that might lure the sale. He''s no youngster and has no Premier League experience and has injury problems quite a lot.

More pertinent is the effect that the sale of this player has on our rival''s season. As their star player, and arguably their only genuine attacking threat, his loss, along with it''s demoralising effect, could plunge our neighbours into another battle at the bottom of the league.

There is currently a considerable amount of invective being hurled at both Evans, for the lack of funding, and McCarthy, for his style of football and for his market dealings this summer, on their main forum and I sense that losing McGoldrick might be the tipping point, one way or the other. They had such high expectations, whereby over 50% of voters in a poll expected their team to be in the top six at the end of the season.

The loss of David McGoldrick for a few million would be a bigger blow to ITFC than our  combined loss of Snodgrass and Fer for c. £15m.

Refuse the deal and they have an unhappy player on their hands.

Interesting times.

Why does the paragraphing put into the message box on this s-dding forum bare no relationship to the way it comes out?

A  longish post is ruined by being all the more unencouraging to read.

No edit button means it cannot be corrected either.

Hooper was our top scorer in a " Hughton" team ,, playing in the EPL . He is the most likely to be our top scorer in the championship , if he stays . Only Grabban from our other strikers is a goal scorer( sorry but I feel that Becchio has to be ignored on this front ) so very definitely we do need another striker ,, if Grabban gets injured ,,or suspended,, which is highly likely over the course of a season , we could lose any momentum gained .

In my opinion it would be essential ,, but I don''t think the club should let him go .

I would defend Gary for last year - poor manager,poor team, lost confidence, injuries, etc., but I suspect that his style of attacking - "wait in the centre until the ball comes near" doesn''t suit what NA wants - quick attacking football with plenty of movement.

I do share the concern over striker provision. Lafferty is not a conventional striker, although I hope that he contributes at least 10 this season. Jerome is an unknown quantity at the moment. The result is that that we have had almost half our goals goal scored by Grabban. He is mining a rich seem but could always get himself injured, and in any case seems to miss as many as he scores.

We can''t expect regular goals from Josh, Bradders or Alex, midfielders who already have half our goals. Perhaps NA & Co. can restore Becchio, or bring on Loza, but the latter will take time.

I can see your point Salopian , but I recall a fair bit of movement from Hooper between the halfway line and opposition penalty area ,,, but as time ground on and he didn''t receive the balls necessary for a striker to score , I think the motivation waned and he then maybe appeared less mobile .

I honestly feel that with NA''s attacking approach ,, Hooper would thrive , and actually improve drastically from anything we have seen so far .

The other point is that , whatever we recieved for him in payment if sold ,, we would find it extremely difficult to even find a replacement ,, leaving no option than to go with Becchio and Loza as back up to our one striker ,, as back up to two I think I can keep my finger nails , let''s hope we can hang onto him !

For super-competitive minded players (I don’t know whether Hooper is particularly competitive btw) observing a colleague getting a 4 goal head start can create a desire to catch-up - or the direct opposite; a desire to get away and not be involved at all!

Fair point Norfolk M ,, but more than any other position ,, I would think a striker is the one who is super competitive ?

I can most recently think of When we had Holt,Martin and Morrison competing ,, none of them seemed to give up because if they were not playing every game , it seemed tons purveyed on to get stuck in ,, or was that just Lambert''s influence on players ? If so , then can NA produce the same sentiments ?

Would be madness to sell Hooper. A proven goal scorer at this level. If we''re to get out of the Championship we''ll need at least two players to score 20+ goals each. Hooper must be one of them.

Will be very disappointed if he goes, we are going to need as much fire power as we can get to see us through this season. Would be a short sighted decision in my view.

Don''t see why he shouldn''t be out in London, it needn''t mean a thing - we''re in an international break so presumably the players have a few days off, he doesn''t have a curfew/limit on where he''s allowed to go.

As to his importance to us, people are rather overstating things - he was not great last season, hasn''t (yet) been missed this season; I''d not be bothered if he left so long as someone else came in.

I  think people should take a long look at our strikers before saying we wont miss Hooper , Jerome and Lafferty will be hard pushed to get 10 between them . Hooper was our best finisher last season and still is the best striker at this club by a country mile.

In the Twitter thread the players appear to be talking about "someone" leaving, who isn''t in the thread, and who hasn''t told them he is leaving.  They appear to be disappointed with that, but Hooper is included in the thread, so maybe, reading between the lines, Redmond?