Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Lafferty yes or no

he reminds me of Elmander (just better)puts himself about... just needs that end productPersonally I rate him. He holds the ball up.. makes runs.. looks up for it.A goal would do him good.

Although its too early to speculate really, my thoughts were Hooper to stay would be that Lafferty would be on the bench:

--------Johnson-----Tettey-------

--------------Hoolahan-------------

Redmond----------------Grabban

---------------Hooper----------------

2 up top is good but we really cant play that diamond. We saw how "well" that worked away to Wolves. Does 442 still work, i dont really know, seems out dated and no-one seems to use it much now.

its not the formation, its how we use our players most effectively. The diamond did not work because we didn''t have the players up front, he played redmond up front with Bennet on the right of the diamond...crazy.

Yet with howson back and the purchase of Ofoe, it could be tried again, the only worry is; does tettey have the passing range fox did? Its worth a try perhaps or we could play a 4-4-2 which would suit us very well I think:

Bennet----Howson---Tettey---Redmond

------------Hooper--------Grabban---------

or redmond on the right, olsson on the left, wes in the hole and go 3 at the back...having 2 goalscorers really is a problem :)

I think hes an interesting player, the potential to be a target man and can obviously hold the ball. But then so can Jerome. Lets see, I quite like him but he seemed to be dragged out of position a lot yesterday.

Easily one of best signings. His work rate is top class despite what''s been said him, his touch is better than most and his vision is great. Personally I would like to see him more central but on the other hand, looking at his record and speaking to a rangers fan I know, he''s never been a consistent goal scorer, more of a team player and assists. Keep it up.

Yes for me - done well so far and gives us some physicality.

What he is not is a target man or a natural goal scorer; he has played most of his career wider for a reason; i dont think he is out of position there - but he and others will have periods of inconsistency.

If he can find a goal that will ease a bit of his frustration.

Yes, but he''s currently being played out of position most of the time

no he''s played on the left for more than half of his career. I believe he played upfront for Palermo, but even there where he was the main striker he didn''t score enough goals. The team needs to get used to the system so when he/we lose the ball, the team isn''t out of position and Lafferty has to rush back like a chicken

I like the guy although I''m not sure that the current system being used really suits him that much!

I think one of Lafferty''s strengths is he''s one of them hustling hard working players who can make an impact on games even when he''s playing poorly!

I think in the long term he could drift out of the first 11, Jerome is a physical opponent and I think hooper will move back to our number one striker.

Leaf ferry is a good player to bring in he can bring a bit of X factor but we need to use him in the right position. I want him in the box.

I do think if we go up and if Adams wants rvw then he should move back to be considered a top forward and his ability is beyond lafferty''s but I think lafferty is a great signing for us this season, we just need to use him right if not he will drift

No from me. Cannot see what all the fuss is about. Yes, he works extremely hard but he has too as his skills and attributes alone will not keep him in the team . Never gonna score many goals or assist others.

Cannot wait for Ollson to be back in the team and paired up with Redmond on the left again. That''s the combo for the future.

I like Lafferty. Great work rate and very good with the ball at his feet. His fitness seems to be an issue though, hence why he gets taken off after an hour each game. Don''t think we''ll see the best of him unless he''s played up front though.

He offers something we don''t have from other players, it wasn''t his best game yesterday but he''s shown his worth in other matches. It is astonishing how some write off and belittle players so quickly...

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]He offers something we don''t have from other players, it wasn''t his best game yesterday but he''s shown his worth in other matches. It is astonishing how some write off and belittle players so quickly...[/quote]This ^^^.Lafferty is a player who knows what he is doing and does it.   Not scored yet, but will, effective in attack, link up play and works like a train to get back and defend when needed.  We have plenty of choice of who to pick and when, but I think Laffs will be first choice more often than not.

Still not convinced by lafferty at all, hope he comes good.

Anyone who thinks he''s better than elmander tho needs their head checking or just doesn''t understand football

I like his commitment and energy. In an earlier match he was back tackling in the left back position, where we are week.

But we need him in attack. I think that we have seen enough to realise that he is not a great striker, and neither is he really a winger. So where does he belong? I don''t know the answer. Others are probably right to see him as an Elmander.

I am concerned at the size of our striker pool. At the moment we are relaying on the midfield to score - Josh, Bradley, Alex, but we can''t rely on them. Grabban is still picking up goals, but if he were injured it''s difficult to see where goals would come from.

We need someone to share the goal-sharing burden with Grabban. Currently it does not seem that Lafferty is up to this, and Jerome has scored few over the past season. Step up to the plate someone!

i think he looks like a decent player, but he obviously isn''t the normal flying, goalscoring winger you would usually expect to see on the right of a 4-2-3-1. As others have said, i think in time Grabban might do a better job of that position with Hooper coming back in up top - but only if Hooper sharpens up a lot. Otherwise I think it would be worth a go at trying Redmond and Murphy either side of Grabban. I like Murphy''s finishing ability - I think he could be another goal threat for us and he extra pace might enable him to get up to support Grabban better than Lafferty. Worth a try.