Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Have parachute payments been the reason?

Why we have retained the players, who have been widely touted as leaving over the last few weeks (Ruddy, Redmond, Hooper etc)?

I don''t think it is about the money. It may well be that enquirys have been made for them, but have been rebuffed. Also there doesn''t seem to be any noises about players throwing their toys out, wanting to leave. It would seem that Adams has done a great job in persuading players to stay, with his managerial skills and coaching (tactics etc)

The money has helped us get one or two players in, but I''m talking about the players we already had here.

Bassong is still here, but the Loan window may well be the catalyst for him to leave now, otherwise he is going to be one hell of an unmotivated person.

Who''d have thought that the transfer dealings between Southampton and us, would involve us getting one of their players?!

A great transfer window, and Mr McNally has earned his money/bonus!

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Why we have retained the players, who have been widely touted as leaving over the last few weeks (Ruddy, Redmond, Hooper etc)?

I don''t think it is about the money. It may well be that enquirys have been made for them, but have been rebuffed. Also there doesn''t seem to be any noises about players throwing their toys out, wanting to leave. It would seem that Adams has done a great job in persuading players to stay, with his managerial skills and coaching (tactics etc)

The money has helped us get one or two players in, but I''m talking about the players we already had here.

Bassong is still here, but the Loan window may well be the catalyst for him to leave now, otherwise he is going to be one hell of an unmotivated person.

Who''d have thought that the transfer dealings between Southampton and us, would involve us getting one of their players?!

A great transfer window, and Mr McNally has earned his money/bonus![/quote]

He will earn a bonus if we get promotion. Did he earn a bonus on our relegation? Discuss.

H

The bit that struck me about the Soton business was that yes we got Hooiveld, but they got Toby Alderveireld...our target a year ago.

Not dissin'' the deal,l just noticed it, thats all.

And I agree with the OPs comments, it''s not just about the money.

The players who have gone were all one''s that TBH I''d have been happy to let go for decent fees at the start of the window.  Snoddy - many good aspects of his play and he does get and create goals, but always slowed the play down and forced the team to play that way.  I''m happy to pocket the money with him and go with younger and pacier alternatives.  Fer - could look quality but not in a scrappy game so not the sort of player you want in the Champ, much rather take the money and bring in the new players we''ve got.  Surman - could produce moments of quality but his all-round contribution for me has never been enough, again happy to let go.  Pilks - could be great but it was noticeable he tended to do better at home than away, and massively injury-prone plus latterly problems with his attitude.  It still irks me the number of times he started a game but was subbed within 15-20 mins, I always think a professional shouldn''t be starting if he can''t manage more game time than that.

Whereas we''ve kept most of the defence and midfield from the Prem team particularly targets like Ruddy and Olsson are staying - got to credit the manager for that at least in part.