Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

The squad and an interesting comment from Hooiveld (sp?)

Firstly what an excellent squad we appear to have assembled/retained. no excuses now this season. That does not mean we have a right to automatic promotion as there are some other good sides in this league but if we are not at least right in the mix i think that will represent failure. Looking at the squad my biggest worry is perhaps how Adams is going to keep the spirit in the dressing room with the large number of senior/experienced pros who are not going to be starting games regularly. Its going to be a big test of his man management but if that is our biggest problem then its perhaps a good problem to have and shows our worries are minor compared to others.

On a different note (and apologies if this has been covered below) but very interested to see that the player Hooiveld knows at the club who he spoke to before agreeing to move and got very positive feedback about the club from was none other than Gary Hooper. Rather flies in the face of the media speculation about his being desperate to leave and leaves me hoping we can get Hooper fit and scoring in the near future because I think his goals could end up being the difference this season.

I saw the comment by Hooiveld, and the reference to Hooper. It''s good to read that the striker is still able to recommend the club despite a poor season for himself and for the club.

I, too, hope that Hooper starts firing. He started last season with an injury, and so missed the inspiration of other players at an important time, and he has done the same this season. The news about him is good - NA said that both he and Howson were running at full speed last week, so they must be ready for training, and available for selection soon after the international break.

Among the (now) four strikers, Lafferty has yet to score after 5 games, Jerome has not been prolific for the last season or two, and we are relying on Grabban. It would be great in Gary could play, and do what he does so well - poach some goals. We need him to be fit and competing.

@Salopian: among the four strikers Lafferty is yet to play up front and Jerome has played in one cup fixture. Grabban is doing fine - offers pace and  height. Hooper won''t walk straight back into the team, and will have to force his way back. Can only be a good thing, as if he ousts Grabban from the team he''ll be scoring more than one a game on average!

Adams has certainly put his mark on the team. Agree the next test of his managerial skills will be keeping the 2nd 11 motivated while they await their chance.

@Chicken

Salopian did states that he hadn''t been prolific in the last season or two. So thats 2 goals in 28 appearances for Palace and 7 in 50 for Stoke. I''m guessing that''s where the prolific comment comes from.

He''s been brought in to do a different job though and clearly Lafferty has or he wouldn''t have been playing wider.

I think it will be purely between Grabban and Hooper for the poacher role.

I may be wrong on this (and hope I am) but all of the feedback from Bournemouth fans is that Grabban is a confidence player who goes on runs of scoring goals but then also has barren runs. Having seen him play i can see that could be the case. he''s currently on a hot streak and things are going in for him but he;s also missed quite a few chances and I think its important to get Hooper fit because i think he may be the more reliable finisher and I can see there being a spell or spells where Grabban''s goals dry up. It would always be dangerous to rely on one striker anyway but I could see both Grabban and Hooper getting 15 plus in this league so if Jerome and Lafferty can also chip in with a few then I think we will be in good shape.

I didn''t question the use of the term prolific. Just that the other players seem to have been written off.Especially when you consider he is suggesting Lafferty can''t score when he has been played wide and spent a lot of time working hard in the defensive third as well. Jerome - who cares what he did last season, this is this season. They all start fresh - simple.If Hooper is this amazing guaranteed to score striker that some believe he will be then great, but I doubt he will just walk into the side.My comment was that if Hooper was to push Grabban out of the team straight away, it would be because he is scoring more. Which at the moment is 1 goal per game average. If Hooper can come in and do better straight away then great. Reality is Hooper may have to bide his time a bit.