Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Louis Thompson

Canaries swoop?

Posted at 09:18

BBC Wiltshire understands Swindon''s Louis Thompson is being sold to Norwich but will be loaned back to Town for the rest of the season. The transfer fee is understood to be £600,000 rising to £1.3m.

Who is he and what is the point if he will not play for us?

He''s a good young player that shows potential. Probably getting loaned back because he wouldn''t be able to break into the first team.

I''m sure we wouldn''t be making a signing like this if we hadn''t done some homework on the lad and believe that he has the potential to play in the Premiership, given that we intend to be back there soon.

But it begs the question as to where it leaves the likes of Hall-Johnston and McGeehan. This would be the second young midfield signing in a week, with the Scots lad coming in.

To be fair if Thompson is already playing 3rd division football regularly that suggests he is a better prospect than those 2. He is only a few months older than McGeehan. But of course it''s much easier to progress from youth to first team there than it is in the Championship or Premiership.

Presumably McGeehan and H-J need to get out into a similar level on loan and try to prove themselves before they get left behind.

Swindon fan here (as my well-thought-up username suggests).

Louis Thompson is a fantastic midfielder who, at the age of 19, is one of the first names on the team sheet at Swindon – a club whose midfield is by far its strongest position. Just a great all round box-to-box midfielder who can score goals and get stuck in.

I’ve been watching the Town for 30 years and I can honestly say he’s the best young midfielder I’ve seen play for us in that time. I’ve no doubt he could do a job in the Championship right now but I’m glad he’s coming back on loan for the rest of the season. Even if you go up to the Premier League I have no doubt he’ll be in and around the first team within a couple of years.

His older brother Nathan also plays for Swindon as a right back/centre back and is rumoured to be being chased by several clubs higher up the pyramid than we are. They both came up through the youth ranks at the club so it’s quite sad to see them separated but I’m glad to see them getting the recognition they deserve.

Swindon fans seem to be very disappointed that he''s gone. And at 600k you can''t really argue.

We now have quite an array of young players, Redmond, McGrandles, Thompson, Josh and Jacob, Loza. Makes quite a change from just a few years ago when we didn''t seem to have any.