Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW

What larks. The summer transfer window closes at 11pm (UK time) on Monday, September 1. As I understand it, as a Championship side we are no longer bound by the 25-man squad rule, and can get players in (and out) on loan, starting a week or so after September 1. We can also sign free agents - ie players without a club. I thought, as the frenzy grows, it would be useful to list the players we have at the moment. There are some utility players who can fill more than one position, so you can argue about where they should be listed, and  I have omitted players already out on loan but otherwise I think this is the complete roster:GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, Matthews.RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Bassong, (Martin).HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Surman, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: (Lafferty), (Redmond), (Surman).STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome, Josh Murphy.They in one obvious gap, on the left, and one obvious area of overkill, upfront.

.~.tLef

Yes, into the final week now. I''d include Josh Murphy on the left wing (and not as a striker) and Lafferty can obviously play on either wing. The overkill upfront becomes less so, as Grabban, Lafferty, and Jerome can all play out wide as well. Useful summary though.

That is not overkill upfront

we have

Hooper/Grab/laffs/Jerome

factor into that we are playing 4-3-3 its not really a issue

then a selection of kids and a reject

we don''t have a fixed squad size this season and we do have 46 games + cup

[quote user="Paul101"]That is not overkill upfront

we have

Hooper/Grab/laffs/Jerome

factor into that we are playing 4-3-3 its not really a issue

then a selection of kids and a reject

we don''t have a fixed squad size this season and we do have 46 games + cup[/quote]Those are fair points but even though we are not limited in numbers per se we do have financial constraints. If there is another departure I would still expect it to be one of the strikers.

With luck it will be Becchio

he is proven at this level but there has to be something keeping him out of the squad we are unaware of

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What larks. The summer transfer window closes at 11pm (UK time) on Monday, September 1. As I understand it, as a Championship side we are no longer bound by the 25-man squad rule, and can get players in (and out) on loan, starting a week or so after September 1. We can also sign free agents - ie players without a club. I thought, as the frenzy grows, it would be useful to list the players we have at the moment. There are some utility players who can fill more than one position, so you can argue about where they should be listed, and  I have omitted players already out on loan but otherwise I think this is the complete roster:GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, Matthews.RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Bassong, (Martin).HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Surman, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: Josh Murphy (Lafferty), (Redmond), (Surman).STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome.They in one obvious gap, on the left, and one obvious area of overkill, upfront.[/quote]Finessed.

So far so good this window. The only real weakness for me is at cb where bass is, and martin good cover. I want the window to close so we can remove any further uncertainties for the autumn games!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]What larks. The summer transfer window closes at 11pm (UK time) on Monday, September 1. As I understand it, as a Championship side we are no longer bound by the 25-man squad rule, and can get players in (and out) on loan, starting a week or so after September 1. We can also sign free agents - ie players without a club. I thought, as the frenzy grows, it would be useful to list the players we have at the moment. There are some utility players who can fill more than one position, so you can argue about where they should be listed, and  I have omitted players already out on loan but otherwise I think this is the complete roster:GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, Matthews.RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Bassong, (Martin).HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Surman, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: Josh Murphy, McGrandles,  (Lafferty), (Redmond), (Surman).STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome.[/quote]Updated with McGrandles, going on reports that if he has a favoured position it is wide left.

Hopefully we''ll get this guy from belgium (if reports from Belgium are true), but also think we need a natural left winger like Mclean perhaps from wigan as well as a CB, CB should be a high priority

If we clump holding and creative midfielders into one. We currently have: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil, Howson, Surman, Hoolahan and you can arguably add McGrandles (can play as a creative midfielder) and E Bennett (as he played C Mid v Crawley) into the mix too.

That''s between 6 and 8 players vying for a maximum of 4 positions at any one time (which makes it look like the diamond may be in NA''s mind for a few matches this season - which wastes Redmond and Murphy''s talents IMO). Even less positions when playing with variations of 3 or 2 in central midfield positions.

With the rumoured imminent signing of the Belgium midfielder, it looks to me like the writing may well be on the wall for Tettey and/or Surman, both being linked with moves away in recent times.

Can anyone really see us keeping all of those midfield options at the club? If not, who do you think should or will likely be sacrificed?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Hopefully we''ll get this guy from belgium (if reports from Belgium are true), but also think we need a natural left winger like Mclean perhaps from wigan as well as a CB, CB should be a high priority[/quote]We now have 27 senior players. I am including McGrandles, Josh Murphy and Loza in that and only leaving out the young goalie, Matthews. Even with a long season that is a fair total. I would suspect any additions now would be at least (if not more than) balanced out by departures.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 27/08/2014 8:10 PM:

"Updated with McGrandles, going on reports that if he has a favoured position it is wide left."

Don''t know what reports you are reading?

Appearances at;

RW 48

RM 13

LW 8

LM 10

CM 5

DM 2

AM 5

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

What larks. The summer transfer window closes at 11pm (UK time) on Monday, September 1. As I understand it, as a Championship side we are no longer bound by the 25-man squad rule, and can get players in (and out) on loan, starting a week or so after September 1. We can also sign free agents - ie players without a club. I thought, as the frenzy grows, it would be useful to list the players we have at the moment. There are some utility players who can fill more than one position, so you can argue about where they should be listed, and  I have omitted players already out on loan but otherwise I think this is the complete roster:GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, Matthews.RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Bassong, (Martin).HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.ALL-PURPOSE MIDFIELDER (aka Fer replacement): Odjidja-Ofoe. CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Surman, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: Josh Murphy, McGrandles,  (Lafferty), (Redmond), (Surman).STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome.[/quote]The now confirmed addition of Odjidja-Ofoe brings the squad total to 28 (excluding only the young goalie Matthews). If the reports of a bid for Arsenal''s Spanish defender are credible (and even if they are not) two points follow. That there will almost certainly be some culling (and there are some obvious names) from that list, which is impressively long for a Championship club.Secondly, that however the sums add up in terms of transfer money in and out, the board cannot be accused of starving Adams of funds. He is being backed with serious replacements for players that have gone, while one area (upfront) has been noticeably strengthened.

Thanks for putting this together PC.

Looking at the squad it does look strong for this league with effectively each position being covered by at least two players except for centre half or right back depending on where you place our captain.

One further signing of a dependable defender and we must be very confident of making the top 6 and even dream of sailing away with it like Leicester last season.

Agree with that Mutley. McGrandles could also be put into the all purpose midfielder category, in that Adams has said he can play anywhere in midfield. The squad is certainly looking strong now.

Thanks for the updates.

I think we''ve done a good job of managing the squad, keeping most of the defence, strenghthening in midfield while letting Fer go who, let''s face it, probably wasn''t the sort of player you''d want on a cold winter evening against Millwall. 

Up front last year''s strike force was a problem so we''ve done well on the players who have come in there, letting go Elmander was never in doubt and no surprise RVW has gone on loan.  It would be nice to keep Hooper and Becchio if they''re going to contribute, I wouldn''t be surprised if at least one of them goes.  Snoddy was always a saleable asset and it made sense to cash him in, especially given the mixed contribution he made (slowing things down etc).  With Redmond, Murphy, E Bennett, lafferty and the new Scottish signing, we''re strong on the flanks.

So do people think that''s it for players coming in ?

GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Bassong, HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.ALL-PURPOSE MIDFIELDER  Odjidja-Ofoe. CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Surman, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: Josh Murphy, McGrandles,  STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome.take out the two youths and those that I think will certainly go, with either Becchio or Hooper also out then it leaves us with 23 or 23 (Mc Cardie) senior playerswe certainly have the money so this is not a big squad, and given that we can sign players after the first week of Sept I should imagine that the club will wait to see what areas are in need of strengthening, or cover (injury/suspension) then bring in who is neededlooks like we are going up at the first go

Pleased that we have done much of our business ahead of the dreaded final day of the Window.  Possibly a couple will leave and maybe one more in, but whatever we seem to have a really good squad assembled so well done to Adams & McNally.  Unlike poor old Ipswich, with a tiny squad, lack of real quality, a one dimensional Manager and no money! Its good to be Green and Yellow again.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

What larks. The summer transfer window closes at 11pm (UK time) on Monday, September 1. As I understand it, as a Championship side we are no longer bound by the 25-man squad rule, and can get players in (and out) on loan, starting a week or so after September 1. We can also sign free agents - ie players without a club. I thought, as the frenzy grows, it would be useful to list the players we have at the moment. There are some utility players who can fill more than one position, so you can argue about where they should be listed, and  I have omitted players already out on loan but otherwise I think this is the complete roster:GOALKEEPERS: Ruddy, Rudd, Bunn, Matthews.RIGHT-BACKS: Whittaker, Martin.LEFT-BACKS; Garrido, Olsson.CENTRE-BACKS: Turner, Cuellar, R Bennett, Ignasi, Bassong, (Martin).HOLDING MIDFIELDERS: Tettey, Johnson, O''Neil.ALL-PURPOSE MIDFIELDER (aka Fer replacement): Odjidja-Ofoe. CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS: Howson, Hoolahan.RIGHT-WINGERS: Redmond, E Bennett.LEFT-WINGERS: Josh Murphy, McGrandles,  (Lafferty), (Redmond), (Surman).STRIKERS: Becchio, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper, Loza, Jerome.[/quote]The now confirmed addition of Odjidja-Ofoe brings the squad total to 28 (excluding only the young goalie Matthews). If the reports of a bid for Arsenal''s Spanish defender are credible (and even if they are not) two points follow. That there will almost certainly be some culling (and there are some obvious names) from that list, which is impressively long for a Championship club.Secondly, that however the sums add up in terms of transfer money in and out, the board cannot be accused of starving Adams of funds. He is being backed with serious replacements for players that have gone, while one area (upfront) has been noticeably strengthened.[/quote]Surman out and Ignasi in keeps the number at 28. The OUTS now number:Fer, Fox, Nash, Pilkington, Snodgrass, van Wolfswinkel (loan) and Surman.The INS number:Cuellar, Grabban, Jerome, Ignasi, Lafferty, McGrandles, O''Neil and Odjidja-Ofoe.

Now for bassong to go with hooiveld in and it''s been a fairly good transfer window. One of the better ones.

Means no spending in January again but hopefully won''t need to this time round

[quote user="alartz"]Now for bassong to go with hooiveld in and it''s been a fairly good transfer window. One of the better ones.

Means no spending in January again but hopefully won''t need to this time round[/quote]If we hang on to Ruddy and Olsson, so we have only lost two players (Fer and Snodgrass) we would in an ideal world have wanted to keep, then it will have been a very good summer. Overall the squad hardly looks worse (if at all) than last season''s. A bit weaker out wide but stronger up front, and defence and midfield about where they were. And I would not assume there is no money left for January. This regime, like the one before, has a sensible policy of keeping money in reserve.