Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Johnstones Paint Spray

Watching the 2nd half of the paint pot game I see that the ref is using the vanishing spray at free kicks. Yet its not used in the champs. I think its a great innovation and can''tunderstand why its not used in the football league.

I don''t understand why it''s not used in all leagues and cup games..worked brilliantly in the World Cup and seems to have been accepted in the premiership.

The Football League announced after the World Cup that they would not adopt the spray in the FL but would instead trial it in the JPT.

I don''t understand why the World Cup wasn''t a good enough trial!! All a bit wierd why they didn''t just go ahead with it IMHO. What is the JPT going to prove which the World Cup didn''t?!

That explains it flecky. But it doesn''t really because, like you, I cant understand why they need a trial! Anyway, it worked OK tonight so they can use it from this weekend :) Unless further trials are deemed necessary ....

Bizarre decision really, should be used across the football league. There''s absolutely no real reason why it can''t be

Oh ya, I forgot to say, Liga MX has been using the spray for a while.

This new magic spray seems to have replaced the old magic spray that healed screaming players'' apparently crushingly painful ailments instantaneously.

At four quid a tin it should be used from Schoolboy football upwards, whats the pronlem, it works well, should be adopted by ALL leagues.

we''d even send a few tins forty miles down the road if they cant afford it.

Could be a prior marketing ploy in respect of the paint company sponsorship, which got overtaken by the World Cup and PL decisions.

i.e if they are contractually obliged to showcase it to gain press coverage for the trophy competition, and FIFA''s move wasn''t allowed for in the wording...

Using the spray hasn''t improved referees being able to put the wall back 10 yards. Instead of pacing the distance they guess where it should be and invariably get it wrong too short or too long but they love to flourish the spray.

Has the spray relieved refs of pacing 10 yards or should it be metres.

There is a chip in both the ball and the spraycan, the can will not activate unless it is between 9.8 and 10.2 metres away from the ball.

This is the reason it has not been adopted across all Leagues, the can of spray is just £4, but the electronics that accompany it plus the training courses held by FIFA to instruct referees in its use , run to another £84,000.

It was originally trialled under the brand name ''The Blatter Splatter.''