Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

That little speech bubble in the bottom-right of your screen

It amazing how you find the time to integrate new useless features like this yet doing something useful like upgrading the forum software is beyond you.

doesn''t having the chat function make the whole thread thing slightly pointless/irrelivant?Although its a fantastic tool for digging people out over comments made months previously or complaining in general.

Pete, I don''t intend to insult or flame this idea or the Pink''un either, but it''s quite clear that people experience alot of problems with this Forum and Archant aren''t willing to do anything about it. I know the Pink''un has a large amount of members, and NorwichTalk at the moment is moving on and getting there, has there not been any consideration in trying to work with them and migrate users to NorwichTalk in an attempt to build a good community, with moderation and good working features, and consistent updates, obviously the Pink''un has advertising which will affect revenue, but i''m sure something could be worked out in order to benefit all members...

This could well be the nail in the coffin as far as me and this site go. It''s too little too late and the opposite of what is needed. I''d love to stick to this board, but the other one is so much more appealing at the minute.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]This could well be the nail in the coffin as far as me and this site go. It''s too little too late and the opposite of what is needed. I''d love to stick to this board, but the other one is so much more appealing at the minute.[/quote]

It''s in addition to what is coming...

Which is......?

Come on Pete, I know Christmas is coming, but we are all of an age on here, that do not need the ''excitement'' of an unwrapped present.

You might be better off just telling us what the changes are, because, as you can see on here, and has been listed for a while, people ain''t happy, and playing ''I''ve got a secret'' isn''t going to smooth the waters, and keep peoples attention, I fear.

I''m not bothered with this chat function at all. I''m happy with the comments section. IMO this kind of toy is best placed on sites frequented by hormonal teens who can''t string more than three words together without getting brain ache.

What we need is a bit of a visual makeover, an edit facility and decent IP detection / security system to block the likes of Waveney and his multiple accounts.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Which is......?

Come on Pete, I know Christmas is coming, but we are all of an age on here, that do not need the ''excitement'' of an unwrapped present.

You might be better off just telling us what the changes are, because, as you can see on here, and has been listed for a while, people ain''t happy, and playing ''I''ve got a secret'' isn''t going to smooth the waters, and keep peoples attention, I fear.[/quote]Apologies, secrecy down to waiting for something more concrete but essentially a new forum (finally) with all the functions it should have had for the last 10 years but these things take time. More when I have it.

It''s not just functionality though pete, while it is desperately needed, this place needs pro-active moderators to make this a nice forum to post in.
Waveney Canary and his many alter egos polluted this board for months and nothing was done, on the new better forum he was banned within days. When people come to this forum they need to know this your house and your rules, otherwise you just get a toxic pit of despair.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Which is......?

You might be better off just telling us what the changes are, because, as you can see on here, and has been listed for a while, people ain''t happy, and playing ''I''ve got a secret'' isn''t going to smooth the waters, and keep peoples attention, I fear.[/quote]Apologies, secrecy down to waiting for something more concrete but essentially a new forum (finally) with all the functions it should have had for the last 10 years but these things take time. More when I have it.[/quote]I don''t understand all this technology nonsense, but I hope any revamp does not alter, at least for the worse, the essential look of the site, which is easy on the eye and easy for a techno-idiot to navigate around and use.

[quote user="Ginja"]It''s not just functionality though pete, while it is desperately needed, this place needs pro-active moderators to make this a nice forum to post in.
Waveney Canary and his many alter egos polluted this board for months and nothing was done, on the new better forum he was banned within days. When people come to this forum they need to know this your house and your rules, otherwise you just get a toxic pit of despair.
[/quote]Agreed Waveney and the outdated functionality always hindered moderation.Hopefully a new board will make it easier for those not welcome to stay banned.Having said that, it''s all been quite lovely on here recently, although that''s probably down to the football and Wes playing again.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Which is......?

You might be better off just telling us what the changes are, because, as you can see on here, and has been listed for a while, people ain''t happy, and playing ''I''ve got a secret'' isn''t going to smooth the waters, and keep peoples attention, I fear.[/quote]Apologies, secrecy down to waiting for something more concrete but essentially a new forum (finally) with all the functions it should have had for the last 10 years but these things take time. More when I have it.[/quote]I don''t understand all this technology nonsense, but I hope any revamp does not alter, at least for the worse, the essential look of the site, which is easy on the eye and easy for a techno-idiot to navigate around and use.[/quote]I will fight to keep it pink PC.

Although it''s in my nature to see positives before negatives I do think we could do more to highlight the good things about this community. They far outweigh the bad. They must do because despite all the moaning you''re all still here out of choice. There are problems with some of the software. An edit button would be nice. There are a VERY FEW trolls who post to spoil it for people. But in the main this is a pretty fair reflection of a community of people with widely varying views. More heavily moderated forums lose that and tend to soon reflect the views of the moderators.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Seen it, looked at it, don''t like it & it''s a waste of time.Please get rid & sort this board out instead.Thank you.[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"][quote user="Ginja"]It''s not just functionality though pete, while it is desperately needed, this place needs pro-active moderators to make this a nice forum to post in.
[/quote]Agreed Waveney and the outdated functionality always hindered moderation.Hopefully a new board will make it easier for those not welcome to stay banned.Having said that, it''s all been quite lovely on here recently, although that''s probably down to the football and Wes playing again.[/quote]

Im going to stick up for Waveney here, he does tend to post on one subject only but he doesn''t troll, he doesn''t hijack threads, he doesnt try and offend or start arguments and personally I have never seen him invoke a personal attack on anyone.I do not think its pure chance or down to the football that the forum is working well at the moment, many of the prime antagonists have moved to pastures new. More wiser or perhaps older heads left who can post a counter argument or opinion without resorting to calling everyone a male chicken.This forum does not have moderators, it tends to moderate itself which is why I personally have chosen to stay with this forum over others that have them. Forums should be like a group of supporters in a pub, you need characters, you need banter and recurring in jokes and a little edge otherwise its all "too nice". Have to agree with PC, nothing wrong with simplicity, you do not overdo the ads, nice links to everything sporting locally at the top of the page, simple layout it works.Yes an edit button would be good but the grammar police have also gone missing too of late and most realise that we all make mistakes typing and cannot be bothered to proof read everything before hitting Post.Appreciate that technology moves ever onwards so the need to get the site working with all devices and browsers is rather lagging and needs fixing. Im stuck on Firefox as other browsers do not work with the site but still have to have IE and AOL browser open too for other things.Be good if the pictures I try and upload worked every time, if we could have our signatures back at the bottom of posts and the quote function worked, other than that please don''t try and over fix it.An opt out for that Chat bubble would be good too so I can make it disappear off my screen, appreciate the effort getting it there but I cant see it catching on or that I personally would ever use it.Ta

[quote user="Molly Windley"]An opt out for that Chat bubble would be good too so I can make it disappear off my screen, appreciate the effort getting it there but I cant see it catching on or that I personally would ever use it.[/quote]+1